ever get proper fecked off with bikes ?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ton

ever get proper fecked off with bikes ?

Post by ton »

like to the stage where you are gonna stop riding.

sick of cleaning em, sick of keeping em running, sick of punctures, sick of total ncutish car drivers, sick of the weather and riding in it, sick of road grime.

i need a hub geared, drum braked, puncture proof bike with some little grenades attached, that i can blow cars up with... :oops:
ScotRoutes

Re: ever get proper fecked off with bikes ?

Post by ScotRoutes »

I clean my bikes infrequently. Sometimes I'll give them a quick hose down immediately after a ride. Always a proper wash if I'm riding in a different area though.

I have a few bikes so can avoid having to immediately fix something. I'll often have a maintenance session.

I don't commute by bike (well not now) so I can choose when to ride and not go if it's too shitty.

I can mostly avoid traffic either on quiet roads or off road.

I can't recall the last time I had a puncture. I think I've had two since moving here 7 years ago.

I still get fed up occasionally. 😁
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

I haven't hit that point with bikes thankfully as it's literally the only thing which is stopping me topping myself at this point. This is probably helped by having a hub geared , tubeless shod, cable disc brake equiped bike. I am utterly sick of getting lagged in mud with every single ride though.
I have reached that point with r/c aeromodelling where the investment in time and money seemed disproportionate to the time spent actually flying .
stevewaters

Post by stevewaters »

ton wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:19 pm sick of cleaning em, sick of keeping em running, sick of punctures, sick of total ncutish car drivers, sick of the weather and riding in it, sick of road grime.
Time to get a Zwift account ? - I tend to mix outdoor and indoor this time of year. - I appreciate indoor riding in general and Zwift in particular is not for everyone, but it does give me some of the same riding buzz. I originally started it when we had young kids and I couldn't get out much.

https://www.mbr.co.uk/news/zwift-mountain-biking-391545
Last edited by stevewaters on Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It'll pass Tony. Weather's crap, covid's crap, Christmas is crap, I could go on and on and on ... but I know that at some point something good will happen. Something will go right and had I put a bullet through my brains, then I'd have missed it. One day at a time, keep fighting and as my old nan used to say, "if you can't beat 'em, f*ck 'em"
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

I think I'd've quite enjoyed meeting your nan :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Scud

Post by Scud »

There are days where it is difficult to scrape myself out of the door, but l know once out, especially if with a mate, then it'll be worth it.

What i have found best in winter, is make my outside rides easy going, do the hard work a coupe of times on the turbo, just set your bike as best you can for winter, proper guards, heavier tubeless tyres and a decent tool kit with a tubeless repair kit and get out of door..

Other thing is, i have given my long weekend rides a purpose other than just riding, so i've plotted a route to include a new point of interest and a new cafe or coffee spot, one way to support local business and also gives rides an aim, been to look at RAF Sculthorpe which was a cold war airbase with a big underground bunker complex, been to look at some shipwrecks on the fat bike, been to the Micklebrough Collection to look at the WW1 replica tank that Guy Martin built etc.

So it's not just a bike ride, its going to have a look at something new and a decent slab of cake if i can and a decent coffee. i am lucky though, i live an area of the country where if i use backroads i can see only 5-6 cars in 50 miles on a sunday morning
Karl

Post by Karl »

Tony, the bike allows us to get away from the crap in the world, to recover and re-energise. The bikes' probably feeling a bit low and in need of a pick me up. Buy it some nice new presents and in return it'll pick you up and take you on an adventure as a reward for being a caring owner.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Yeah, maybe anything/one that we count on for a pick up can get the brunt of it on a bad day. Normal. Karl's right : )
something good will happen
Cue Kate Bush... Someone posted a quote from this online recently and I was glad I looked it up.
https://youtu.be/IRHA9W-zExQ
Scud

Post by Scud »

Always found Kate Bush is in the same league as Bjork, of "brilliantly batty!"
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

If you think bikes are bad, you should try motorbikes, especially old ones.....
RIP

Post by RIP »

Scud wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:43 pm not just a bike ride, its going to have a look at something new and a decent slab of cake if i can and a decent coffee
Reckon that's one of the main keys to trying to improve matters.....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

I’m feeling much the same so have taken it upon myself to plan a couple of trips for next year. Mini tour of Brittany and King Alfred’s Way with a mate.
Scud

Post by Scud »

Other thing to do is to book an event (which i know is all up in the air) that slightly scares you that you'll compete it, every time you think about rolling over in bed, remind yourself just how many miles/ how long in the saddle the event is.....

Or what about just doing something new, i had a weight bench in the garage that was usually used as another surface for bike stuff mostly, but start of first lockdown as i was working from home, really go back into lifting some weights 2-3 times a week, feel so much better for it, not suffered my usual lower back pain since i started, core and legs are a lot stronger, and this only helps with cycling, may be time to mix it up a bit?
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I previously pissed myself off with cycling to the extent that I stopped riding almost entirely for about ten years. I'd been a club roadie and semi-obsessed with racing but decided to stop competitive cycling. I used to ride to work a lot to "get the miles in" for fitness and winter conditioning but once I stopped racing it all started to seem a bit pointless. One day not long after setting off on the way in to work (in the rain) I had a double puncture and turned round and rode home to take the car to work as I had no more spare tubes with me. That was the point when I cracked, I dabbled with mountain biking a bit after that (mountain biking had been my first love before I became a roadie) but even that lost it's allure and despite treating myself to a new mtb (a Whyte 46, remember them?) I just stopped riding.
Fast forward about ten years when I turned fifty I decided I needed to do something about my fitness and weight (which started to creep upwards) so I bought a Boardman CX Team with a view to starting riding again. I didn't ride the Boardman that much (I never really enjoyed it) but I also got an On One Fatty after seeing a friends one. The Fatty relit the fire and I've been loving it ever since and gradually getting fitter. I've found that modern riding kit makes a difference in bad conditions and allows me to stay warmer and dryer than I used to do and modern bikes definitely flatter my riding (especially my Orbea Rallon which is incredible). Most of all I just try to keep it fun now and although I do set myself some targets, enjoying riding is my primary aim. I don't have access to a hose for bike washing which makes that a bit of a PITA at this time of year but other than that I think I'm enjoying cycling more than ever.
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

Yes....

But nothing lasts forever and the darkness and effed offness will pass.

There will always be light at some point.

Hang in there Ton...

Si
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

jameso wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:24 pm Yeah, maybe anything/one that we count on for a pick up can get the brunt of it on a bad day. Normal. Karl's right : )
something good will happen
Cue Kate Bush... Someone posted a quote from this online recently and I was glad I looked it up.
https://youtu.be/IRHA9W-zExQ
Not that.

This:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f7hlMR-Xn9I
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
jameso

Post by jameso »

Choooon! How else would a teenager of the late 80s-early 90s discover Kate Bush? :grin: Samples, the gateway to so much great old music.