Any Quad Lock Owners?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

dlovett

Any Quad Lock Owners?

Post by dlovett »

Hey there, do any of you run the motorbike mounts on your bicycles? The reason I am asking is you can get a Weatherproof Wireless Charging Head from them, but it doesn't fit on any bicycle mounts they make, only the motorbike ones. Can anybody think of a reason I couldn't use one of the motorbike mounts on a bike assuming the bars were the correct diameter or I had the correct spacers?

Cheers

d

https://www.quadlockcase.co.uk/collecti ... 4754260143

https://www.quadlockcase.co.uk/collecti ... 8928185682
Cheddar Man

Re: Any Quad Lock Owners?

Post by Cheddar Man »

Where would your power source come from? Aren't these wired in to the motorbikes electrics?

Otherwise I guess it is just attached to a battery pack, so you may as well just plug it in to a battery pack and stick it in your pocket.
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

You would have to have a seriously waterproof phone too!
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I use the wireless head in the car mount, very convenient. I’d imagine that the efficiency would be less than a wire however and also the wireless head does not appear to be weather proof. There are cooling slots in the rear through which you can see components so you’d have to seal them.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

70 quid ! :shock:
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Bike has usb power through a 2a cache battery which meets their specs. Quad lock make the water proof cover for the phone case to guarantee it is ok, but it doesn’t allow you to connect usb cable to the phone. I know wireless charging is less efficient but it is a lot more convent then plugging and unplugging a usb as the phone is of the bike and on the bike 2-10 time per hour. The mobile wireless head is fully waterproof as opposed to the car one. It looks to be the perfect solution to my needs, but yes it is very, very expensive and almost £150 all in. However it is a work thing so can be justified if it will work well.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Looking at the installation video for the waterproof head the motorbike mounts use exactly the same mechanism as the out front bicycle mounts so I expect you could use the wireless head in the bike mount... interesting.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Check the bar mount dia. Motorbike handlebars are often 22.2 straight gauge but some have a wider section where they clamp to the top yoke. Its not clear from the blurb what the clamp dia is.....
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

htrider wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:16 pm Check the bar mount dia. Motorbike handlebars are often 22.2 straight gauge but some have a wider section where they clamp to the top yoke. Its not clear from the blurb what the clamp dia is.....
The mibke one suits bar sizes ⅞” (22mm), 1” (25mm), 1-⅛” (28mm), 1-¼” (32mm)
the Cycling one suits bar sizes 31.8mm, 25.4mm and 22mm

So with some of the exposure rubber shims, I would have thought it won't be too big of a problem.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

BigdummySteve wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:07 pm Looking at the installation video for the waterproof head the motorbike mounts use exactly the same mechanism as the out front bicycle mounts so I expect you could use the wireless head in the bike mount... interesting.
The only thing with the bike mounts IS I don't know if the screw goes all of the way through, anybody got one, could you post a picture of the bottom of it?

at 1m 10s in this video you can see the bottom and it looks the same as the mbike one. https://www.quadlockcase.co.uk/collecti ... 9315891218