Is Anyone Using Tideace Forks?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Escape Goat

Is Anyone Using Tideace Forks?

Post by Escape Goat »

Hiya

I've searched the forum for "Tideace" and nothing at all shows up.

Just wondered if anyone is using these? Going to get shut of the Blutos and get some rigids....OR should I just get Whisky forks and have done?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T800-Fat-Bic ... Sw~y9ZAcNN

Cheers!
Richpips

Re: Is Anyone Using Tideace Forks?

Post by Richpips »

Look at the seller's feedback.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Following from what Rich said... there's 3 negatives out of 200 in past 12 months. I'd not go Whisky Allen, just cos of costs... Have you considered Travers? Not sure if he has fat forks but the forum opinion was unanimous a few years ago that they were some of the bestest. I got some and agree they were very very well made and lovely rides (2ith 3 inch tires).

Otherwise somewhere like Carbon Bicycle Company maybe who have better traceability/feedback reports...

Sorry Allen. I forgot to add thw screenshot for added 'oomph' measure

Last edited by redefined_cycles on Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

All that tells you is whether they deliver them and they look ok its does not tell you if they broke after two days use
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I wont mention how much Whisky forks will cost me, but I was hoping that someone I'd trust on here had any experience with them rather than randoms :)
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Lazarus wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:16 pm
All that tells you is whether they deliver them and they look ok its does not tell you if they broke after two days use
One bit of feedback says something like "I can't begin to say how rubbish this fork is"......
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Haha, that's a bad sign....

I've heard great things about this brand though thinking about it. I've just forgotten the exist.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/eXotic-Sub-A ... SweNpfusaK
redefined_cycles

Escape Goat wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:20 pm I wont mention how much Whisky forks will cost me, but I was hoping that someone I'd trust on here had any experience with them rather than randoms :)
I believe Whisky stuff is in the same league (and I assume customer service/support... which hopefully you'll never need) as Travers. I can confirm the customer support from Travers is top notch as I made use of it and indeed he delivered (can't recall what) without a fault. That was even on the forks being rediculously cheap on an offer (or seconds).

Well done that man and you reminded me that I want one of his frames....
redefined_cycles

Escape Goat wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:23 pm Haha, that's a bad sign....

I've heard great things about this brand though thinking about it. I've just forgotten the exist.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/eXotic-Sub-A ... SweNpfusaK
Exotic have been spoken very highly of on this very forum Al... I'd get them no probs...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I used to run Exotic carbon forks. Had numerous sets, never treated them in a caring, gentle manner and never had any issues at all. Prongs, are a really nice fork though.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

One bit of feedback says something like "I can't begin to say how rubbish this fork is"......
Damn you and your indisputable evidence :oops:
jameso

Post by jameso »

Escape Goat wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:20 pm I wont mention how much Whisky forks will cost me, but I was hoping that someone I'd trust on here had any experience with them rather than randoms :)
At least with QBP products you'll be told if there's faulty forks on the market via a recall. That's the drawback of direct sellers in China - I'm not aware of any having recalled their products in recent years (which I really wouldn't take as evidence of a faultless product).
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I kind of think that if you are going to go with placcy forks you should get a decent set as the consequences of them self destructing mid descent will be quite high. The Exotic ones I bunged on a pals bike looked very well made and complied with the EN standard from memory.

Of course Allan you could just buy these https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/frames-f ... ork-p13764 and not have to worry about breaking them at all :grin:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I have/had Exotics on two bikes. Not a problem.

I also have some "no name" carbon boost forks for my Pact. I bought them when there was absolutely nothing else available. Again, no problem.
jameso

Post by jameso »

You could have 100 people on here giving no reports of issues over a year's use but imho that would tell you very little about whether the forks were OK. Recalls happen when just 1 in a 1000 forks shows a particular type of issue as that could be 5 or 10 catastrophic failures in the market, or more. You don't want to be one of those 5 or 10.. Recalls are expensive, testing to avoid recalls is expensive. Recalls don't tend to happen from ebay sellers, that may part of why they're cheap?

I'd just rather from a brand that has some interest in your safety. It's worth a couple £100 more if having a carbon fork is important. And Tideace may be good, I don't know them. All I'm saying is it's a gamble and not one I'd be likely to take*.

*Not saying anyone is wrong to do opposite. Your call, none of us are composites experts here are we :grin:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

jameso wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:12 pm Your call, none of us are composites experts here are we :grin:
I'm not but one of my friends used to work for the RNLI laying up the carbon hulls for their RIBs, he won't put unknown eBay carbon parts on his bike, draw your own conclusions.

Alan, have you contacted Shand to see if they sell the carbon fork for they use on their fat bike?

I'm guessing Travers Fat Prongs are out of stock as I couldn't see them on their website.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

Alan, have you contacted Shand to see if they sell the carbon fork for they use on their fat bike?
They will sell them if you ask nice :grin: . Call (01506 435 400) and speak to Dean (or email contact@shandcycles.com) and tell him Steven said you should get a good deal. They can supply them black or for additional cost, painted any colour. I'm not sure of current pricing.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

You can't say better than that can you?!

Perfect Steven, thanks for your reply.

I think I'll leave the Tideace ones, would be too much of a gamble by the sounds of it.

Thanks all.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

The dropout looks far lighter than any other carbon fork I’ve ever seen or used. On all others it’s moulded into the fork instead of being a blob at the end of the leg. Hopefully that isn’t relevant or critical to its success.

I had a set of eBay fatbike forks - no problems at all. Can’t remember who made them though, so that’s no help.
DickieH

Post by DickieH »

Mr Goat

I can vouch for the Carbonspeed Chinese fat fork, I bought a frameset from Peter a few years back it has been faultless. Xmcarbonspeed.com

I miss my Bluto though so would be interested if you are selling, I'd need a fairly long steerer though.

ETA have replied on your Ad and sent pm ref Bluto.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Cheers. I'm going alloy until I decide / sell the bluto ha.

Replied.
gairym

Post by gairym »

Evening,

I've got an eBay special carbon fatbike fork that I bought when I thought I was going to be waiting a long while for my Lauf but in the end they came quicker than expected and so never got used (might have been fitted, I'm not sure).

Assuming they are compatible with your hub spacing etc... you can have 'em for 50€ plus postage.

Let me know if interested..... :-bd