Thin but warm glove recommendations please

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

faustus

Thin but warm glove recommendations please

Post by faustus »

Bit boring, but I need a bike glove that is warm but quite thin, and probably a bit breathable too. My winter waterproof Endura gloves are too thick and a bit sweaty for lots of winter riding, the fingers aren't great for brifter shifting. Any suggestions welcome ta, but looking for a nice close fit and not too thick, for riding say below 8 degrees-ish! :-bd
redefined_cycles

Re: Thin but warm glove recommendations please

Post by redefined_cycles »

faustus wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:21 pm Bit boring, but I need a bike glove that is warm but quite thin, and probably a bit breathable too. My winter waterproof Endura gloves are too thick and a bit sweaty for lots of winter riding, the fingers aren't great for brifter shifting. Any suggestions welcome ta, but looking for a nice close fit and not too thick, for riding say below 8 degrees-ish! :-bd
Think there's a company called 100%. Yhe material looks like softsheel but nit as flimsy. I have some Giro in same/similar material and quite confortably been down to 5 and 6 without windchill (which would bring it down to mayb 2 degrees real feel and my fingers don't cope well)

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mob ... prod187268
ton

Post by ton »

Rab do a powerstretch glove. it is warm and thin.

https://rab.equipment/uk/power-stretch- ... grip-glove
psling

Post by psling »

I've used Galibier before and find their gloves comfortable and good value
https://galibier.cc/gloves-and-mitts/
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
faustus

Post by faustus »

Oooh, really good recommendations so far, particularly like the Galibier stuff
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I’ve just bought some Galibier winter gloves. Seem good quality but not properly tested them yet. I think the ones I have are a bit warmer/thicker than what the OP wants.

I’ve also recently bought some Carnac soft shell gloves from PX. I’ve worn them lots in low single figures C and they are really nice. Thin, warm, comfy, cheap and I can’t see any quality issues.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I have the galibier winter gloves. They're warm and great value but I wouldn't class them as thin

I find the 100% briskers to be a great balance of warm and thin to help with feel. But it's too cold for them right now, they're more of an late autumn, early spring glove
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I have a couple of pairs of the 100% Brisker gloves that Shaf mentioned above. They're really good down to about 6 or 7 degrees but struggle below that, also hopeless in the wet. I use them often when I'm riding my mountain bikes as I hate bulky gloves for that activity but strangely I don't mind bulky waterproof(ish) gloves on my gravel bike. Another point about the Briskers is that the palms are uninsulated so if you use them on bare metal handlebars (like unwrapped Loops) you get cold hands very quickly.
Boab

Post by Boab »

I've had 100% Briskers in the past, after strong recommendations on STW; I thought they were crap. No padding on the palms, not particularly warm, or windproof, and utterly useless when wet; and they got wet very easily. Evidently the Hydromatic Briskers are better.

I've also got a slightly knackered pair of Galibier Ardennes that are on their second winter. Again, they have no padding, but at least have gripper type stuff on them. They're windproof, but not totally waterproof, they'll keep your hands dry when opening wet gates etc, unlike the Briskers. I find them usable down to about 4°C / 5°C, like this morning, any colder and I can't handle the cold fingers.

If I don't get the Galibier Barrier gloves in my Xmas stocking, I'll be buying a pair in the New Year...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.