What Wheelset Components

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Boab

What Wheelset Components

Post by Boab »

Following on from my question about front hub dynamos, I now have questions about building one into a wheelset. For the purposes of this thought experiment, let's assume I'm buying a Sonder Frontier, it's boost spacing and can take 3" tyres on 27.5+ rims. Let's also assume that I'd like to run the fattest rubber I can, all the time, as this bike is for fully loaded adventures where a road focused gravel bike is the wrong option.

I don't know much about MTB rims, but I'm assuming 35mm internal rim width would be a better option than 40mm, solely in case I can't get 3" rubber and need to run something narrower? Either way, can anyone recommend some competitively priced rims, spokes, nipples etc?

I really like my DT Swiss wheels on the RAG+, so I've been eyeing up the M 542 or M 582, but they require proprietary nipples etc. No idea if they're any good, or if there are similar, but cheaper, rims out there.

Budget wise, I'm after something competent and competitively priced, rather than break the bank vaguely exciting. As I'd also need a rear hub, I'd be happy to slum it with something like a Shimano SLX, or similar non-fancy brand, unless someone can give me a really compelling reason not to.

TIA.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: What Wheelset Components

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

but I'm assuming 35mm internal rim width would be a better option than 40mm,
While 3" tyres will fit fine on a 35mm rim, you'll reap the full rewards of plus with wider rims. Personally, I wouldn't bother going bigger than 2.6 on a 35mm rim.
May the bridges you burn light your way
jameso

Post by jameso »

^ yup.

I'd go for 40-45mm WTB or DT rims, handbuilt 32H by a good local builder. Optimise the bike for Plus if that's what you want, go to 2.5-2.6 Mezcals for dry open tracks use if needed. DT 350 rear hub, personally - Hope or Shimano otherwise.
Gummikuh

Post by Gummikuh »

Normally the DT Swiss rims come with both the nipples and the washers. They are special ones designed to do away with the normal eyelet re-enforcement and spread the load better. Need a female torx driver to start them off.
That said I've used normal nipples and I'm not dead yet.
I am using a XM521 at the moment on 27.5+ 2.8 and seem OK, or XM551 if you want to go bigger.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

I went with 35mm internal Race Race Arc rims with Sapim spokes ( recommended for Rohloff) built by Keep Pedalling.

Front hub is Shimano XT HB756

They've been bombproof so far over 8000 miles. I chose a slightly narrower rim as the bike was built with the intention of world touring and the possibility of plus sized tyres not being found locally. 40mm internal would be the optimal width IMO if this wasn't a consideration
27.5 x 3.0 seems to be being phased out in favour of 2.8 with Maxxis Chronicles and Schwalbe Nobby Nics no longer being produced in 3.0
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Depending on how soon you want the wheels availability of parts might well be a factor. I've just had a set built and to get all the bits I wanted took a few months. According to a couple of local shops Shimano are about 6 months behind on their manufacturing schedule and Hope aren't doing much better.

That said you could do worse than find out if there are any complete Hope wheels available - they're not the lightest when compared with costlier DT Swiss etc but in VFM terms they stack up very well and will take a lot of abuse in my experience.

Might be worth giving Keep Pedalling a call and seeing what they can get hold of or what Rich recommends.

2.8" Maxxis Rekon on a 35mm rim is a nice balance of rolling and grip.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I'd go with 40 (sorry to gain say others!) plenty of 3" tyres for a while yet but you can go down to a 2.3 on a 40 or 45mm rim no probs. I like WTB rims and they do a 40 and a 45 in a KOM light or tough which look like good rims. Velocity duallys are nice too and they are about 42mm.

Or placcy ones from light bicycle if you fancy somat a bit spendy but very light and (so far) very tough
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Go wide if you’re going plus.
3” tyres deserve a wide rim - i40 or more to really plump up and ride well at low pressure. You could always double up with a set of narrow(er) rims later.
If you go for carbon rims and a sensible tyre like Chronicles or Ranger Light the weight penalty of a plus set up isn’t too bad.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC