7%
Record? What for, i ride for fun not numbers
16%

Total votes: 55
In Reverse

Re: Do you strava?

Post by In Reverse »

Landslide wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:26 pm
And indeed, isn't strava just a bit monarchist with its KOMs and QOMs etc.?!?
(Grabs flaming torch and pitchfork)
It's also trans-exclusive when you think about it.

Is it time Strava got a good, hard cancelling? :shock:
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

RIP wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:33 am Oh, and while we're here, Grumpy Old Man Alert: the use of 'K' [not the Knob unit as mentioned earlier] to mean 'thousand metres' really gets on my wick.

For a start it's a unit of temperature not distance - Kelvin. If you said you'd done a 5K ride I'd imagine you had been riding on the surface of Uranus or some other far-flung chilly planet.

If you've ridden five kilometres, that's '5km' ok?
To be pedantic (obviously just to fit in) the coldest planet is an average of a balmy 60K, bring a picnic :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Route plotting - the amount of data is has means its heatmap is scond to none. I've found loads of trails that I'd have had zero chance of finding otherwise.
Aye heat maps is not a bad thing I will give you that - it could do with a direction of travel though - ie what is the downhill what is the up hill way
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I like Strava for:
- Route inspiration, seeing where other people have gone, heat maps showing where may or may not be accessible
- My own sense of numerical achievement (generally distance* and ascent**, rather than speed***)

At the same time, there are plenty of aspects to rides that I don't get via Strava, and they'll stay in my mind, or my notebook, or my pictures. It will never be the be-all and end-all.

*km
**m
***or lack thereof
(Sorry Reg)
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

That moment when you search a segment, have a rummage through the times to find a decent ride press save ride and off you go, not really knowing a single thing about the actual ride you have stole :lol: :-bd

Also I'm more of a full fat miles & ft man myself rather than K,Km or M
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

No. I can't be bothered uploading GPX data from my GPS to yet another website I'd have to register with and then suffer all the adds it doubtless bombards you with. Instead I record my rides on a simple spreadsheet. This allows me to make sure I'm hitting my hours per week targets (when I impose such things on myself) but crucially allows me to remember where I've been year on year. I now have 6 years of 'data' and its quite nice reading where I've gone over the years.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

htrider wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:02 pm No. I can't be bothered uploading GPX data from my GPS to yet another website I'd have to register with and then suffer all the adds it doubtless bombards you with.
When I finish a ride/run, I press stop on whatever GPS I'm using. That sends it to Garmin Connect. Garmin Connect then automagically sends it to Strava. There's no other upload required.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:05 pm
htrider wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:02 pm No. I can't be bothered uploading GPX data from my GPS to yet another website I'd have to register with and then suffer all the adds it doubtless bombards you with.
When I finish a ride/run, I press stop on whatever GPS I'm using. That sends it to Garmin Connect. Garmin Connect then automagically sends it to Strava. There's no other upload required.
Ah. I use a Dakota which doesn't have that feature
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

RIP wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:33 am
It’s klicks in my world. I often switch between miles and klicks for psychological effect when convincing others things are not as bad as they have convinced themselves. Eg-

How far to go? 30 miles. (sounds less than 48 klicks)
How far have we gone so far? 48 klicks. (Sounds better than 30 miles)
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

I use strava shared with a few immediate family. Two buttons to press on my phone at the start of a ride, and two more at the end of the ride. That has the ride and any photos taken during the ride auto transferred across all my kit - laptop, iPad etc. I don’t look at strava whilst riding, and I don’t use any gps or tech on the bike, I keep a paper OS map in my pocket for navigating and perusing when I stop. I rarely set out on a fixed route, I like to head in a general direction and keep options open.

The beacon function is useful - my other half can see when I’m on way home and get kettle on. In extreme, if I fell in a ditch and was broken she’d be able to find me.

I like the record of rides without having to do any more than press record and finish. No messing with uploads or gpx transfer etc.

I use heat maps for researching potential rides - helps avoid contentious situations.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

htrider wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:02 pm ...and then suffer all the adds it doubtless bombards you with.
There's no advertising. That and the fact that most people use the free app is why they don't manage to make a profit (or didn't previously) so had to reduce the features in the free version to encourage more people to pay.

Modern Garmins will connect to your phone and upload automatically, I still have to plug my old Edge 500 in but for 50% of the rides I'm at work so I get paid to do It :grin:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
SeannyD

Post by SeannyD »

I use it to record rides, like the data for checking progress fitness wise. Not fussed if I don’t record a ride and I like to see the mileages others do in a non stalker type fashion. Some of the challenges they put up I use as a source of encouragement. Share now and again on social media but penis normally restrained.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Share now and again on social media but penis normally restrained.
That's strange. I once shared a ride on Strava and my penis grew by 4". Maybe I'd selected the premium package without realising it? :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
FLV

Post by FLV »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:45 am
Share now and again on social media but penis normally restrained.
That's strange. I once shared a ride on Strava and my penis grew by 4". Maybe I'd selected the premium package without realising it? :wink:
It was likely the vibration from the saddle
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Sorry Dave, I read that as "I was liking the vibration from the saddle" and swiftly after, my mind remembered the 'Happy Ride' saddle. I can see that thong chafing after a few miles mind.

May the bridges you burn light your way
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Steady on with the BSOs, that's almost just after breakfast.
I'm offended you're posting Bike shaped objects.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
slarge

Post by slarge »

RIP wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:33 am Oh, and while we're here, Grumpy Old Man Alert: the use of 'K' [not the Knob unit as mentioned earlier] to mean 'thousand metres' really gets on my wick.

For a start it's a unit of temperature not distance - Kelvin. If you said you'd done a 5K ride I'd imagine you had been riding on the surface of Uranus or some other far-flung chilly planet.

Likewise if you've gone half a kilometre that's '500m'.

It's all bollocks anyway because of course you have actually ridden 3.106 and 0.310 miles respectively.

Reg 'Official President Of The Campaign For Real Minutes' (*) Perrin

(*) no, don't start me on that one (again) :wink: .
Just for you Reg I did quite a big ride the other week. 274k - no energy at all when I started but the further I went the more energy I seemed to have. Got to the last k and only then started to thaw out. I reckon another 100k and I would have been boiling. :-bd
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

slarge wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:04 am Just for you Reg I did quite a big ride the other week. 274k - no energy at all when I started but the further I went the more energy I seemed to have. Got to the last k and only then started to thaw out. I reckon another 100k and I would have been boiling. :-bd
Chapeau to you slarge, you win the internet for today :-bd I actually workied out how far 274k was in miles before I realised #-O
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I'm so unfit at the moment that I do feel like I'd be starting from absolute zero.
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

Strava is great. I like putting my rides on there, putting up some pics, seeing what my pals have been up to.
Not really interested in section times or anything. The website is quite nice and it doesn't cost anything.

Here's a nice one from earlier this year:

https://www.strava.com/activities/3891001114
Boab

Post by Boab »

yourguitarhero wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:30 pm Strava is great. I like putting my rides on there, putting up some pics, seeing what my pals have been up to.
Not really interested in section times or anything. The website is quite nice and it doesn't cost anything.

Here's a nice one from earlier this year:

https://www.strava.com/activities/3891001114
Nice ride! Right passed my childhood home in Dalgety Bay...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.