ssnowman

Everesting

Post by ssnowman »

May satan walk with you
redefined_cycles

Re: Everesting

Post by redefined_cycles »

I don't get it...

The article begins by saying that it's, 'more than two feet taller' with the next paragraph stating:
THE HIGHEST POINT on Earth has a newly announced elevation. Mount Everest is 29,031.69 feet above sea level, according to survey results presented today.
But then further down it gives the previous agreed elevation as...
Then in 1999 a survey led by cartographer and explorer Bradford Washburn, and sponsored by the National Geographic Society, was the first to use GPS technology to measure the Everest summit. That team’s work delivered an altitude of 29,035—the figure still in use by the Society until the new measurements can be fully verified.
Am I being thick or is the new findings actually 3 feet shorter and not 2 feet taller!!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Well the Himalaya are still growing because India is still pushing northwards due to plate tectonics. Everest is growing by about 4mm a year because of this. Countering that you have the effects of erosion. Complicating everything is the snow cover which can vary, it's nominally 3.5 metres at the summit of Everest.

Shaf, the higher figure you quote has never been the official figure.

Anyway, Everest is 8848(.86)m high. I think most Everesters (in the cycling sense) do a bit more anyway just to cover inaccuracies in the height gain of their chosen segment so it will be a while before anyone gets disqualified.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

whitestone wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:48 am Well the Himalaya are still growing because India is still pushing northwards due to plate tectonics. Everest is growing by about 4mm a year because of this. Countering that you have the effects of erosion. Complicating everything is the snow cover which can vary, it's nominally 3.5 metres at the summit of Everest.

Shaf, the higher figure you quote has never been the official figure.

Anyway, Everest is 8848(.86)m high. I think most Everesters (in the cycling sense) do a bit more anyway just to cover inaccuracies in the height gain of their chosen segment so it will be a while before anyone gets disqualified.
Aha... Thanks for that Bob :-bd