Where is everyone?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Cheddar Man

Re: Where is everyone?

Post by Cheddar Man »

MuddyPete wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:09 pm Chedar Man - That's not what I've observed. BB is a very welcoming forum, similar to YACF for audaxing. I note a few YACF stalwarts have appeared on BB during the past 2-3 years, have thrived and become part of the - ahem :roll: - "nuevo-establishment" :lol: :-bd , possibly just as a natural evolution of their cycling interests.

A community that thrives on access to "the great outdoors" may well see a natural decline in numbers if access to the great outdoors is restricted. Perhaps normal service will resume, when normal service resumes :-).
YACF is another example of a 'niche' cycling forum. I guess CC and what was C+ etc have a wider 'all cycling' appeal, whereas here, YACF, LFGSS etc are bit more one sided.

Honestly, I hope no-one takes this as a criticism of BB generally, here and YACF etc are real sources of knowledge. I am sure if it was properly analysed we would find that the sub5 posters probably had a specific question and they got a sensible knowledgeable response and went away happy (or had college assignment that needed a questionnaire answering), 1-question, 2/3/4 clarification, 5 thanks and goodbye.

As to why numbers have dropped off specifically, well, maybe it is just a time of year and the fact that everyone has slowly become increasingly depressed over the last 8 months!
slarge

Post by slarge »

I like it here, but I am wondering if there is less stuff to post threads about..., with lockdowns and all that fewer people are out and about and the weather’s rubbish so people aren’t out either- so there’s less to write about that is biking related.

I’d also hope that the forum isn’t cliquey- there will always be in jokes but that shouldn’t make people feel excluded.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

It's distinctly un-cliquey IMO.

It also lacks a lot of the precious, dogmatic wankery that occurs in some other forums.

Folks coming to any forum should, imo, take a little time and effort to get used to it and find the groove. Good ones are like pubs or parties, barging in and banging about is unlikely to go great.

HYOH :cool:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Oh, and I know bugger all about the internet but are the numbers legit or influenced by bits, algorithms and all that cobblers?

i.e. is it really less people or is it something more digital :???:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:36 pm It's distinctly un-cliquey IMO.

It also lacks a lot of the precious, dogmatic wankery that occurs in some other forums.

Folks coming to any forum should, imo, take a little time and effort to get used to it and find the groove. Good ones are like pubs or parties, barging in and banging about is unlikely to go great.

HYOH :cool:
Aye, WADR:

Plenty of new people have been 'absorbed' into the hive recently. It's an unusual place. Those who make the effort to get a feel for it, after a while are loathe to try and escape (*)...

(*) and then of course discover, too late, that they can't anyway <ghoulish laugh>...
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

As one of the "prolific" posters I've not posted much in the last month or so. Then again I've not done much in terms of riding, November is probably my least favourite month - was the same when I was climbing, I'd basically take November off and get ready for winter.

My wife is at the opposite end of the posting spectrum but will read what's posted here most days.

I think I lurked on here for a month or two before registering just to get a feel for how "it worked" and trying to figure out who knew who in real life and so looked at their responses in threads as banter with all the associated in-jokes and digs.

Sure there have been times when there's been a reply to a post when I've thought "*&!@ **!$" but held back from posting back a reply that could escalate things. Rereading the reply it would read in a different way to what I was getting upset about. The panda slept well that night. :wink: Trying to discern intended tone from plain text is hard.

As for numbers - is there a December lull each year? It may be that this is what's happening but coming off slightly lower base numbers and/or a bigger drop. Dunno, just a guess.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

I’m here every day, but only log in if I’ve got something to say.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

I must say I have not felt that enthused about bike packing/camping/bivvying/going outside recently, so I haven't been looking as often as a result. Plus I don't feel I have much to contribute very often.

I have really missed the BB events this year due to the enforced format changes. I get pretty low at this time of year and this year has been especially w@nkish, which obviously hasn't helped on that front. I still ride often, but the outside life has taken a back seat for me. Even to the point of wondering why I have a camper van as my vehicle as I can't see me using it any time soon because of "guidelines"... 😉.

So in summary, I am being a bit of a miserable bugger at the moment.

No offence intended of course.

Si
SeannyD

Post by SeannyD »

Check the forums most days, just tend not log in.
Kumquat

Post by Kumquat »

I'm still a furtive lurker.
Rarely log in.
Here most days.
Love the content.
Nice to know that there are other grumpy yet still polite, beer swilling,music loving, dirty bike riding weirdos out there.
:-bd
Grubby little urchin.
faustus

Post by faustus »

i think i'm logged in most of the time and read plenty of threads, mainly because i'm a bit of a bike geek and there's plenty of interesting things to learn/read here. I get plenty of vicarious enjoyment from seeing other people's exploits and seeing pictures of rides in different places - though it can get me down occasionally knowing i can't do similar at the moment. Don't have much to say myself as i'm not riding a great deal being a bit busy as a dad of two very young ones. Like plenty of others, it's a tough time of year to get motivated to get out, especially when there's not the added interest of being able to go somewhere different due to restrictions.
shutuplegs

Post by shutuplegs »

I can verify the likeness to a pub.
Winter Event 2017 (I think...church’s and chapels) I managed to coax my VW Fox up the snow covered road to the Star on the Friday night. Spent the evening chatting with folk from here about bikes, routes and general bollox. Just like on here.
A bit strange when people introduce themselves with their forum username but makes sense!
Special place that pub, especially when full of bike nerds. I don’t know if anyone remembers but there were some lads from London that turned up having rolled their parents 4x4 into a ditch a few miles up the pass. They got quite a shock!
“We live and learn, and big mountains are stern teachers” - HW Tilman.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Cheddar Man wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:39 am
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:05 pm I've noticed over the last few days a sharp decline in 'users on-line'. Where's everyone gone? Are they all out Christmas shopping? Getting a final trip in or finally had enough and headed for pastures new ... obviously, I'm not expecting any answers because those missing won't see this :wink:
It's the way forums develop I think. They become a clique, and ultimately not that welcoming to new people.

You have over 1/2 of the forum members who haven't posted more than 5 times (1125). Around 100-125 people have posted over 500, about 25 are what you may describe as 'prolific'.

So what happens is that new people join and they are kind of 'shut out' by the established members because they don't know the in-jokes and if they say something controversial then the wagons get circled and they get a hard time (and I speak from experience on that one). Recently I got picked up on one spelling mistake in a thread where I was suggesting a bolt purchase could be done differently. Just about every reply had a spelling mistake, but nothing was mention. You see, I am getting precious, but that is what happens.

I really don't think it's intentional, but it's what happens, like if a new bloke pitches up in the pub.

So people drop off (unless they are quite thick skinned) and forums become stagnant.

Sorry, was that a too serious answer?
I was thinking about this again.

There's a lot of "othering" on this forum. Even a look at today's top threads shows it. And I've mentioned the anti-STW thing previously. Having recommended this site to quite a few folk on there and elsewhere, I wonder just how welcoming it appears.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Actually, I think I've discovered that it's to do with how the forum software views 'visitors' and now only counts visitors as people posting over a given time frame as opposed to browsing.

Is 'othering' a real word?

Some people dislike Strava, some people don't. Some people enjoy the FF500, some people would prefer the FFA everyone's different and it's a sad day when those differences can't be freely expressed.
May the bridges you burn light your way
SeannyD

Post by SeannyD »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:21 pm Actually, I think I've discovered that it's to do with how the forum software views 'visitors' and now only counts visitors as people posting over a given time frame as opposed to browsing.

Is 'othering' a real word?

Some people dislike Strava, some people don't. Some people enjoy the FF500, some people would prefer the FFA everyone's different and it's a sad day when those differences can't be freely expressed.
What is othering?
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Othering is a phenomenon in which some individuals or groups are defined and labeled as not fitting in within the norms of a social group. It is an effect that influences how people perceive and treat those who are viewed as being part of the in-group versus those who are seen as being part of the out-group.

Or:

Those lot are sh1t because they’re not us
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Individuals :-bd .

Auto log-out again today :roll: . Perhaps that's where everyone's gone :-) .
May you always have tail wind.
SeannyD

Post by SeannyD »

lune ranger wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:28 pm Othering is a phenomenon in which some individuals or groups are defined and labeled as not fitting in within the norms of a social group. It is an effect that influences how people perceive and treat those who are viewed as being part of the in-group versus those who are seen as being part of the out-group.

Or:

Those lot are sh1t because they’re not us
Cheers Lune Ranger :-bd
Life’s too short for that pish.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Well everyone's back with a vengeance this morning. Must've been something good on telly the other evening.

If people can't tell that our so-called 'othering' is pretty much all tongue in cheek then they're not all that perceptive. If they can't see that all our talk of ditches, reeking toilet blocks, Spar pasties, and sheeting rain is because we like them and are enthusiastic about them, not because we're being elitist, well there we go. What's elitist about a Spar pastie? Or a toilet block come to that.

Of course I'm probably being elitist and imperceptive by being a little resistant to the accusations of elitism :smile: .

I noticed a few months ago quite a large number of new names and a large number of those are still Here. If people join in they'll get a good reaction. If you'll allow me to pick on you Verena for example - <waves> :-bd - you joined in the chat, put some fab ride reports up with lots of mud and mist, talked rubbish about bacon sarnies and so on, joined in the mickey taking, nice sense of humour etc and here you are an equal part of the family. Well I hope you feel that way anyroad. Plenty other examples of nice new folks. And if people roll up with a traffic cone seatpack (*) and get the hump when genuinely welcomed, well there we go....

(*) I really do need to let that one go don't I :grin: Move on Reg, move on.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

RIP wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:58 am If people can't tell that our so-called 'othering' is pretty much all tongue in cheek then they're not all that perceptive. If they can't see that all our talk of ditches, reeking toilet blocks, Spar pasties, and sheeting rain is because we like them and are enthusiastic about them, not because we're being elitist, well there we go. What's elitist about a Spar pastie? Or a toilet block come to that.
But it is difficult to know when it is 'pretty much tongue in cheek' and not. I have ribbed Shaf about his weight wheeniness on his bike build, but I don't think he has taken it that way a lot of the time. I assume from this that you think he isn't all that perceptive?

"If he can't see that all my talk of breaking his bike and pointlessly shaving off 1/2 a gram is joking, because I am, well, there you go"

Read through some old threads and see the language that is used about 'those people aren't like us', 'we wouldn't leave litter', 'they don't go far from their cars', 'people like that aren't proper wildcampers', that is othering.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

MuddyPete wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:55 pm Individuals :-bd .
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QereR0CViMY

Reg, Never let the traffic cone ‘incident’ go, far too funny to ever forget.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Read through some old threads and see the language that is used about 'those people aren't like us', 'we wouldn't leave litter', 'they don't go far from their cars', 'people like that aren't proper wildcampers', that is othering.
Hang on, I'm just trying to get this right in my head ... does that mean that you can't criticise someone who litters or seemingly has no respect for the countryside and who's actions may or could result in reduced access or additional restrictions for everyone else? If that is the case, then I'm afraid people can shove 'othering' up their arse. Personally, I'll not keep quiet about stuff like that for fear of hurting someones feelings and they can in fact, f*ck themselves with whichever plastic bottle or disposable BBQ they've thrown on the floor :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Cheddar Man wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:15 pm 'we wouldn't leave litter', 'they don't go far from their cars', 'people like that aren't proper wildcampers', that is othering.
No othering going on there, chap - just statements of fact :grin: .

RIP

Post by RIP »

Cheddar Man wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:15 pm But it is difficult to know when it is 'pretty much tongue in cheek' and not. I have ribbed Shaf about his weight wheeniness on his bike build, but I don't think he has taken it that way a lot of the time.

I assume from this that you think he isn't all that perceptive?
It's not my place to tell people what they can assume. That appears to me as a conflation of two separate assumptions, although I can't quite work out the connections admittedly. It seems to be saying that what I think is based on some other people's discussions. Mine was a general comment not a personal one. If anyone's in doubt whether their comments are TIC or not, the " :wink:" usually helps things along. If anyone thinks This Place is TIC now, they should have seen it when I joined - and it was one of the main reasons I stayed. Makes it what it is.
Last edited by RIP on Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:41 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

But it is difficult to know when it is 'pretty much tongue in cheek' and not. I have ribbed Shaf about his weight wheeniness on his bike build, but I don't think he has taken it that way a lot of the time. I assume from this that you think he isn't all that perceptive?
That looks and sounds a bit like assumption on top of presumption on top of spurious connection to make a point / argument. IMO. At which point I'd wonder why bother?*

HYOH but don't strangle others in your lines :cool: :cool:

* rhetorical

Edit - whoops, double posted with Reg as I was choosing my words :roll: