Pack rafts - Please may I ask?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

thenorthwind

Re: Pack rafts - Please may I ask?

Post by thenorthwind »

pistonbroke wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:57 pm Living in rural Spain would seem to be an odd location to be interested in this concept but we live 10km from the longest river in Spain, the Ebro. Crossing points used to be quite plentiful with most villages along the river having little ferries for locals to access their orange and olive groves but in recent years most have stopped running so it's a 20-30km car journey via the nearest bridge. One of the surviving Pas de Barca's is fortunately near us and we use it regularly on the bikes. It works without the need for an engine, the ferryman positioning the ferry at a certain angle and using the current and heavy wire ropes to glide across.
There's also a section of river about 30km upstream where its been dammed to form a 100km long lake which has also caused ancient routes to be cut. I can see using a packraft on multi day trips opening up huge areas that would require a 50 or 60km detour to get to, providing you don't come across any of the catfish, the biggest, a 246lb monster, was caught about 10 years ago. :shock:
There's also the spider's web of creeks and irrigation channels that form the Ebro Delta to explore but I'm not sure of access rights as it's a protected nature reserve and birdwatching mecca.
I do know that there are several kayak hire companies that do day trips both on the river and sea, the climate is perfect for this.
Sounds idyllic :-bd
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

Ah ok, perfect - same as this year's one, just pushed back a year. I'll be up there with my van, boat and some beers I make for y'all
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

yourguitarhero wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:19 pm Ah ok, perfect - same as this year's one, just pushed back a year. I'll be up there with my van, boat and some beers I make for y'all
:-bd As an occasionally lurker on the STW homebrew thread.... excited :cool:
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

:-bd

Just working on my licences from HMRC to go pro soon.