Alpkit Edinburgh

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

robbie

Alpkit Edinburgh

Post by robbie »

Not sure or this has been discussed already but Alpkit are opening a store in Edinburgh next year :-bd
fatbikephil

Re: Alpkit Edinburgh

Post by fatbikephil »

Saw that. I filled in their survey with lots of "Ah dinnae kens" - the questions were all about local groups to link up with, where to have outdoor events etc...... What I couldn't find was its location....
adamwwallace

Post by adamwwallace »

htrider wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:13 pm Saw that. I filled in their survey with lots of "Ah dinnae kens" - the questions were all about local groups to link up with, where to have outdoor events etc...... What I couldn't find was its location....
Same here, I gave up on the survey quite quickly. Still good to see although If I remember correctly Planet X briefly had an Edinburgh store but it wasn't open long so hopefully it will do better than that.
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

The Planet X store was pretty good actually. Was on my street.
Guess it didn't work with their business model. But was nice to be able to see the bikes.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Weren't they due to open a store in the South, Guildford iirc, about 6 or 8 months ago? Wonder what happened to that.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The Edinburgh PX store closed in some dubious circumstances. I know folk had ordered bikes, had them delivered there and then they were removed back to Yorkshire before being couriered back out to them.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Weren't they due to open a store in the South, Guildford iirc, about 6 or 8 months ago? Wonder what happened to that.
The shop had an existing tenant who renewed their lease rather than leave.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Ooh I see. I wouldn't have thought that availability of premises is an issue seeing what has happened since April.

Re PX Edinburgh, it was one of the many casualties of the 180° direction change when Dave Loughran regained control of the business. He quickly overturned the "bricks and clicks" ideas favoured by the management he'd employed while he swanned around Europe buying ailing bike companies.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

I never managed to visit the planet x store because whenever I was near it I could never park anywhere, so for me it was a stupid location. Hopefully the Alpkit store will be easier to visit as being able to see the bikes would be good.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

I can see them doing well. Tiso used to be the go-to in Scotland but I haven't been near one of their shops for years now, for lots of different reasons. Edinburgh Bike Co-op were the biking mecca but they have chosen to price most mortals out of the business and instead cater to their local wealthy crowd in Bruntsfield/Marchmont/Grange areas.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Apparently they are opening in Causewayside near The Meadows and are currently looking to recruit 12 staff so get in touch if you fancy a job with them.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Odd location if correct, must be pitching for the student market. Won’t be handy for me to get to from longstone anyway.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Ray Young wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:22 am Apparently they are opening in Causewayside near The Meadows and are currently looking to recruit 12 staff so get in touch if you fancy a job with them.
In direct competition with EBC then.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

rudedog wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:01 am Odd location if correct, must be pitching for the student market. Won’t be handy for me to get to from longstone anyway.
Probably cheap rent and close enough to the Crags and Pollock for student climbers.

Like you it’s miles away for me (Balerno). Unless they’ve got decent bike parking I doubt I’d ever go as I never have any reason to be that side of town.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Biked through Balerno last night after a wee jaunt round the reservoirs, could believe the temperature drop coming down Harlaw rd - felt like I’d crossed some unseen boundary into Narnia :lol:
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

I wonder if it will be the old double height furniture place?

Handy for me - about a 10 minute walk
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

I'll be up there in the new year helping fit the place out, so more details then ;)