Can we talk about jockey wheels?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

thenorthwind

Can we talk about jockey wheels?

Post by thenorthwind »

Not the most interesting topic, sorry.

The standard ones in most derailleurs (Shimano anyway) are plastic wheels with bushes, which unsurprisingly don't seem to last very long before the teeth are worn and they develop loads of play. Seems to be the most common cause of poor shifting IME, but I don't see it mentioned very often.

There are some high end options involved sealed cartridge bearings and aluminium wheels, but given the price of some of them I'm reluctant given that they're still a wearing part, and I'm not convinced they'll last that much longer.

I've been using some of the dirt cheap alloy ones off eBay and the wheels last a lot longer. The bearings are probably crap, but there's no sealing as such on the end caps, so they get destroyed pretty quickly. I've just pressed a pair of decent quality bearings that I packed with grease into a set to see if that helps.

Anyone care to share their approach?
ScotRoutes

Re: Can we talk about jockey wheels?

Post by ScotRoutes »

FWIW the longevity of jockey wheels seems to vary according to soil types. When I lived near Edinburgh and ride lots around there, I never wore them out. Moved to Aviemore and it seems they're a consumable item after all! The difference seems to be that the soil here is full of tiny granite particles, whereas the Edinburgh stuff is more clay and peat.

Even then, I don't wear them out fast enough to consider the standard Shimano items to be poor vfm so I've never really considered alternatives.

I'll follow this thread with interest
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I've certainly noticed the effect of soil type on other bits, brake pads mainly - peat being particularly bad (presumably the acid). That stands to reason - the jockey wheels are pretty low down and exposed so grit is going to eat through even aluminium pretty quickly. I wonder why no-one does steel ones (granted I haven't looked).
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

From the higher and lowe end point of view... I can confirm that the ultegra/DuraAce/XT equivalent bushings last ages compared to the basic deore stuff. Both in terms of wheel wear and bushings/bearings. If you did upgrade then go for the KCNC which AFAIR have bearings inside (probably in my head and in reality just decent bushings) and last ages...
jameso

Post by jameso »

Not the most interesting topic, sorry.
'Not'? You know there's a few bike nerds on here, right? :ugeek:

Chilterns, clay soil here - Shimano with bushings last well, I've had SRAM bearing JWs set solid after 1 wet ride. I go for the higher-end Shimanos for replacements.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It's debatable (but hey, that's why we're here) but I reckon in the case of jockey wheels, a bush makes more sense than a bearing ... unless the bearing can be completely sealed and sealed well.
May the bridges you burn light your way
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I put some fancy ceramic ones into one of my derailleurs ages back, can't remember which bike though! They weren't very expensive and i don't really remember them being any different

i reckon it was my arkose that has been through many cassettes and chains. it doesn't see much mud but does see filth, rain, salt and winter abuse.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Happy with your everyday Shimano ones that come fitted to whatever mech I'm running.

"Fancy" jockey wheels belong in the same bracket as earings IMO, might look pretty but are SFA functionally.

No offence :cool: :cool:
numplumz

Post by numplumz »

I'm a fan of the cheap and cheerful ones. cheap enough to replace often and carry a spare,, and I go through many. Easy to lube the bush and won't size on you like a bearing.
The old git in the yellow socks
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Gven the price of ebay ones [ and the array of colour choices fr the bike tart] i always use them

As for longevity i dont have a spreadsheet but i dont really notice any particular difference in use in terms of longevity or bearing life but at £2 a pop I dont really care [ I bought ten they may be dearer now!]
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:04 pm It's debatable (but hey, that's why we're here) but I reckon in the case of jockey wheels, a bush makes more sense than a bearing ... unless the bearing can be completely sealed and sealed well.
You probably have a point there Stu. The ones I have with the cheap bearings in seized pretty quickly, and a seized bearing is worse than a wobbly bush.

I may have oversimplified it, and decided that since cheap bushes are bad, expensive bushes aren't worth it, and bearings>bushes.

I'll probably give the higher end Shimano ones a go as Shaf suggests. It does seem a bit perverse paying more than a few quid for a plastic wheel (OK, it's a glass fibre composite I think) with a little metal bush in it, but hey, cycling :roll:

Looking at the XT ones though, they look like they have bushes in them, but at least one place refers to them having sealed bearings.

One retailer even says "These derailleur wheels are more sensitive to rust and dirt than derailleur wheels with ceramic or stainless steel bearings." whereas Superstar, who sell steel and ceramic bearing alloy JWs, say "We do not fit stainless steel bearings as they are softer than bearing steel and will fail much sooner than a bearing steel will rust" which does not bode well for the stainless bearings I've just fitted in mine. 🤯
jameso wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:59 pm'Not'? You know there's a few bike nerds on here, right? :ugeek:
Happy to provide some light relief from the geometry thread :wink:
faustus

Post by faustus »

i'm always guilty of neglecting my jockey wheels until all the teeth are nice and pointy :oops:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

XT ones use ceramic bushes in the top jockey which don't seem to wear out (at least before the teeth wear away) The bottom ones used to be a plain steel / placcy bush but are now mini cartridge bearings. For replacements I use cheap BBB ones. I Just prise the seals off the bearings and pack lots of grease in there and they seem to last OK.
redefined_cycles

One thing I would add... I do try and clean and regrease the innards about every year at least. Pretty sure it helps
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

I just use the cheap alvio ones from crc, they used to be only 4 quid but brexit prices mean theses have inflated to 5 pounds now :o
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Haven't used Shimano rear mechs for a while, but I found that my GX wheels have gotten so wobbly it has a negative impact on shifting precision. After similar amount of use the XX1 have faired much, much better.
3.5 years of use on both.

I've not yet decided if I should just try to get hold of X01 or XX1 jockey wheels for the GX mech or get a new mech alltogether, since there's also some wobble in other places.
Like Shaf, I too give them some love once or twice a year, hoping it makes a difference.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

numplumz wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:27 pmlube the bush and won't size on you like a bearing.
(edit: as the actress said to the bishop)
redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:38 pm One thing I would add... I do try and clean and regrease the innards about every year at least. Pretty sure it helps
Alpinum wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:54 pm Like Shaf, I too give them some love once or twice a year, hoping it makes a difference.
For some reason it never occurred to me to do that (possibly because by the time it occurred to me to give them a second glance, it's been because they're the reason shifting isn't smooth and they're already beyond redemption).
Just smear a bit of grease on? Seems likely to just attract more grit, but maybe better than nothing.
redefined_cycles

Secret is to smear the smidgen of grease on the inside :lol: then cover it over with the, well, covers. I usually ensure it's immaculately wiped down.

Whilst we're on the subject of preventative maintenance, did you know that the betterer shimano cup/cones can last a long, long, long, long time. As long as you open, clean and regrease, before it becomes gritty (or very very very gritty in your case :grin: )
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

numplumz wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:27 pm I'm a fan of the cheap and cheerful ones. cheap enough to replace often and carry a spare,, and I go through many. Easy to lube the bush and won't size on you like a bearing.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Cheddar Man wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:50 pm
numplumz wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:27 pm I'm a fan of the cheap and cheerful ones. cheap enough to replace often and carry a spare,, and I go through many. Easy to lube the bush and won't size on you like a bearing.
I was going to post this picture but couldn't find it! :grin:

Cheers Shaf. I do know that, but what I know and what I do are often quite different :roll: :wink:
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I've had problems with both my derailleur'd bikes recently - jockey wheels completely locked solid. a clean and a generous lube seemed to help but if I nip up the bolts to a level that feels right the plates seem to bind the wheels and lock them solid. Which I don't remember being a problem previously

I'd done them up a little looser and put some threadlock on for now. I feel like some new jockey wheels are needed

Any recommendations on cheap ones? I'll need two pairs and might as well get some spares for the kids' bikes etc, if they're universal. Although knowing biking standards they're probably not

I'm 10 speed on both my derailleur'd bikes, kids are on 7 speed
redefined_cycles

KCNC lasted me very well (well, I put em on my little brothers iron horse)...
FLV

Post by FLV »

I have about 1000km on a set of these with no issues (11 speed)

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/bbb ... prod134272