Ghetto hanger alignment

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BigdummySteve

Ghetto hanger alignment

Post by BigdummySteve »

Today I managed to bend my alternator dropout in a fairly serious manner. I was left with very few working gears and the very scary possibly of killing an expensive rear mech, while fiddling with the gears in an attempt to get some working gears a bloke on a touring bike stopped to offer help.
Sadly neither of us were packing a hanger tool, but spying his old 10mm QR wheels I remembered the hack of threading the wheel on to the hanger and using that to gauge and straighten the hanger, worked a treat :-bd Definitely one hack to remember.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
lune ranger

Re: Ghetto hanger alignment

Post by lune ranger »

BigdummySteve wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:31 am Today I managed to bend my alternator dropout in a fairly serious manner. I was left with very few working gears and the very scary possibly of killing an expensive rear mech, while fiddling with the gears in an attempt to get some working gears a bloke on a touring bike stopped to offer help.
Sadly neither of us were packing a hanger tool, but spying his old 10mm QR wheels I remembered the hack of threading the wheel on to the hanger and using that to gauge and straighten the hanger, worked a treat :-bd Definitely one hack to remember.
Do you need an alternator plate?
I have a RH derailleur 135mm QR one for steel frames I could sell you for less than a new one.
Last edited by lune ranger on Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
thenorthwind

Re: Ghetto hanger alignment

Post by thenorthwind »

:-bd I keep an old axle in the bike toolbox for exactly this purpose.