Base layer wisdom

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Charliecres

Base layer wisdom

Post by Charliecres »

I’ve never paid much attention to base layers. I’ve used either nothing or various cheap polyester tees and long sleeved tops over the years and they all seem fine with little to choose between them.

I’ve heard talk off the importance of fancy wicking layers but I’ve remained sceptical that anything will perform much better than what I have.

So, am I a fool? And if so, which base layer will bring me to my senses and change my life?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Base layer wisdom

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

For me, choosing a base layer has little to do with 'wicking performance' and much more to do with 'how long can I wear it before it stinks offensively'. In this regard, I find bamboo to be very good. :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Depends on external temperature and rate of work by you.

Cold day, working easily - I don't bother. Slightly harder - a "normal" technical t-shirt. Working hard - tight base layer vest.

Summer, hot day, riding hard.... I'm in a Brynje string vest under my light jersey. Throwback to racing days, but makes a difference to keeping me cool!
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:17 pm For me, choosing a base layer has little to do with 'wicking performance' and much more to do with 'how long can I wear it before it stinks offensively'. In this regard, I find bamboo to be very good. :-bd
As someone who sweats a lot AND stinks offensively I still haven't decided between merino and bamboo. The bamboo's a nicer material and definitely handles the aromas better but the merino is better for wicking.

I have read people say the exact opposite of that on here though. :lol:

If you're happy with what you've got Charlie then stick with that.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I think either my nose doesn’t work very well or I don’t stink too bad. I can usually do nearly a week in the same clothes before I start making myself gag, and I don’t care about anyone else. :lol:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

As much as I favour natural materials I can’t get along with wool as a base layer for cycling. I find it just gets soggy. It’s warm enough when I keep moving but causes too much chilling when stopped.
The environmental credentials of bamboo fabric produced as fine cloth are pretty dubious so i steer clear of it and can’t comment on its performance as a base layer.
That leaves me with two increasingly old, stretched and stinky (after about 30min of wear) base layers for cool weather. Not good for dating but fine for riding.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I have a few of the Planet X long sleeve base layers, they seem just as good as my fancy pants one which cost 4 times as much and possibly stink less.
One of the key things is they need to fit tight.
Merino I feel is over rated, I have a few from Aldi cheap and cheerful to a lovely Icebreaker hoodie, I find they hold on to moisture and can be chilly when you’re not working hard or stop, I’ll readily admit they possibly aren’t tight enough to work.
The only bamboo things I have are Stu’s Bearbones tee shirts, I love them, comfortable and seriously stinky proof. I’ve not tried a proper bamboo base layer but I’ve a feeling they hold one to moisture more than synthetic.
I was out for about four hours today, temperature was about 4-6 degrees, drizzle progressing to light rain. I wore a planet-x base layer and a BB bamboo tee with a RAB non-waterproof wind top as an outer. I was comfortable throughout the ride, once the rain let up my body heat quickly dried the PX layer and the very breathable top let the vapour escape, the bam top stayed wetter for much longer
So far, for me , synthetic wins. Good wicking, quick drying and can be had cheap. The only downside is you might stink like a tramps under crackers within a day or so.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

What do they do to bamboo, to make it low odour? I like it in cooler weather.
I thought it was over hyped Viscose.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

ledburner wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:54 am What do they do to bamboo, to make it low odour? I like it in cooler weather.
I thought it was over hyped Viscose.
Steady. Bamboo fabric is considered to have mythical qualities in these parts. Despite the fact that modern clothing labeled as being made from bamboo is usually viscose rayon, a fiber made by dissolving the cellulose in the bamboo, and then extruding it to form fibres. This process removes the natural characteristics of bamboo fibre, rendering it identical to rayon from other cellulose sources.
It is nothing like traditionally mechanically extracted bamboo fibre.
Last edited by lune ranger on Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

We've got quite a large copse of bamboo on our land. I cut most of it down 2 years ago to make a roof for a gazebo but it has grown back with a vengeance. How much do I need to make a tee shirt? I think it may be a bit scratchy in it's raw state. It's either that or get a Panda.
Al

Post by Al »

Always got on well with merino / polyester mix stuff - got a montane one that works really well. I find pure merino gets too damp if you’re working really hard or have layers on that don’t breath too well.
Recently bought a very gimpy looking dhp mesh base layer to try - very impressed with how well it works.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Thanks all, interesting stuff. I have some bamboo stuff but I find it holds on to moisture more than I like when exercising.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

pistonbroke wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:15 am We've got quite a large copse of bamboo on our land. I cut most of it down 2 years ago to make a roof for a gazebo but it has grown back with a vengeance. How much do I need to make a tee shirt? I think it may be a bit scratchy in it's raw state. It's either that or get a Panda.
Bikepacking panda, is that a breakaway sub niche group. You might be on your own there!
Bamboo keeps me dry, Merino keeps me warm, not prone to that over heated feeling like synethetics.
Last edited by ledburner on Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Best base layer I have is Brynje Super Thermo mesh

But it's quite special looking so only wear it when I know it'll be mostly covered. I have a range now and tend to avoid merino and bamboo, I don't find they dry quick enough for my liking

Have been using a lot of under armour heat gear ones, seem to work well and are cheap. Most importantly very stretchy so fit my long arms. I love the Helly Hansen ones but newer ones are too short in the arms
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Charliecres wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:55 pm various cheap polyester tees and long sleeved tops over the years and they all seem fine with little to choose between them.

I’ve heard talk off the importance of fancy wicking layers but I’ve remained sceptical that anything will perform much better than what I have.

So, am I a fool? And if so, which base layer will bring me to my senses and change my life?
Nope.
I'm in a similar boat. I like well working gear/clothing. I want stuff I can rely on to function as expected.
Baselayers are, in my experience, really handy - I just get a polyester/polypropylene/elastane mix with a good fit and remain happy for many, many years. The stuff lasts.
I can't say this from wool based base layers. Less function and way less durable - they become more functional and durable when mixed with... polyester! The irony :lol:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

benp1 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:15 am Best base layer I have is Brynje Super Thermo mesh
great stuff.
Pure polypropylene. Also in my experience about as good as it gets. Last for ages and is very fairly priced. :-bd
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

A second fan of the planet X ones here. Snug fit is a must, and wash them at 30 without fabric conditioner. I'm sitting with one on under my work shirt now, as I rode to work and wanted to stay warm. I don't think it stinks!