n + 1

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Boab

n + 1

Post by Boab »

Over the last few days, I've been seriously considering options for n + 1. While I really like my gravel bike, it's definitely been setup for my local riding in the flat lands of the East. Some of the riding I'd like to do next year, and in the future, is going to require something with larger tyres and a less, er, arse in the air riding position.

While I'd love something like the Travers RUSSTi EVO, with Lauf fork, full XT(R), wide Nextie carbon rims, blah, blah, blah, it's not going to happen. I created a spreadsheet for a build based around a Sonder Frontier frameset, with 27.5+ wheels running 3" tyres. It is missing some stuff though, like a dynamo front hub and lighting system.
  • Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced dynamo wheelset for 27.5,+ that'll take 3" tyres? Worst case is spec'ing some DT Swiss rims, a dynamo hub and having someone build the wheels for me.
A rigid MTB running 3" tyres, is all well and good, but I have a nagging desire to get another fat bike. Cheap and cheerful fat bikes seem thin on the ground these days though, what with the demise of the Calibre Dune. I'd like to start another spreadsheet based around a fatbike frameset, preferably one with cage mounting points on the fork.
  • Does anyone have any recommendations for a fatbike frameset, that doesn't cost and arm and a leg...?
Currently it's all speculative, but it's itch that needs scratching.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
FLV

Re: n + 1

Post by FLV »

Custom wheels can be built to spec here

https://www.actionsports.de/en/wheels/c ... 650b-27-5/

Not bad pricing. Ive got a funnworks rim they built on a dt350 and its been fine.

Takes about a week to have the wheel in your hands.
Boab

Post by Boab »

I was on the Keep Peddalling website earlier looking at their options. I just need to decide if I'm going properly fat or not, as that'll narrow down the choices...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

https://surlybikes.com/bikes/ice_cream_truck
Others may be lighter but everytime I go through the "Shall I buy a better fat bike" routine, I always end up back at an Ice Cream Truck as being my ideal one. Except I already have one......
Boab

Post by Boab »

htrider wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:54 pm https://surlybikes.com/bikes/ice_cream_truck
Others may be lighter but everytime I go through the "Shall I buy a better fat bike" routine, I always end up back at an Ice Cream Truck as being my ideal one. Except I already have one......
I've always admired that bike... The Kona Woo 2021 looks quite tidy too.

I was imagining building up from a frameset, might have to change my mind and sell a kidney.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I like Konas, but I know someone who is on his third Wo due to frame cracking.

(just a warning)
FLV

Post by FLV »

Ignoring Colin's caution for a second...

If you happen to be a small
https://shop.bikesandbuddies.co.uk/wo-f ... -2017.html
Boab

Post by Boab »

I've been pondering n+ 1 again lately, mostly due to being fed up with the constant pounding off road on the gravel bike. It's not suitable for some of the stuff I would like to do in the future, so I'm trying to figure out what is. I'm now swithering between three options:
  • Buy Lauf Smoothie bars and Grit SL forks, plus some form of carbon stem; then just get on with it
  • Buy some sort of soft-tail / full-sus XC bike
  • Buy a Salsa Beargrease; sob at the cost, bit smile on every ride
So recommendations for soft-tail / full-sus XC bikes welcomed.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Trek Supercaliber
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Not seen that before, that's a pretty cool bike.

I'm also looking for N+1, something like a XC full sus or a light trail bike. My rigid MTB is great but I need something with some suspension travel. Loving the Cotic FlareMax with SID forks but that's coming out at £5k once specced up
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

benp1 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:46 pm Not seen that before, that's a pretty cool bike.
A pal bought one recently. I reckon it would be pretty good for bikepacking.
Boab

Post by Boab »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:38 pm Trek Supercaliber
Wow, that is even more eye wateringly expensive than the Beargrease, looks lovely though... It's going on C2W, so while I can afford more than I might normally, the limit is probably still around £3k. Might be able to afford a Canyon Neuron or Lux though, and I keep talking myself out of a Dude.
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:38 pm Trek Supercaliber
loving mine :-bd
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:47 pm
benp1 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:46 pm Not seen that before, that's a pretty cool bike.
A pal bought one recently. I reckon it would be pretty good for bikepacking.
I want one, with drops, sorry can’t help it.
I’ve even done a comparison between the small SC and the medium Fargo. Same angles with just 25 mm more reach. Probably a good job I can’t afford it.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark