Leerowe76

Merino base layers

Post by Leerowe76 »

Can anyone recommend a good wicking base layers for all year round use :smile:
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
Cheeky Monkey

Re: Merino base layers

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Imo and e, not a merino one, no. Merino on its own just gets wet and doesn't shift the moisture.

My favorite base layers are Ground Effect ones that are a mix-type material. Pick whatever model fits your needs and desires.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Odlo, Montbell. Synthetics

Especially the Odlo stuff lasts for ages.

My Merino experience isn't good.
During low exertion it would be lovely, not just because I find eg Icebreaker have a great fit (not just on me) acrosd the range.
It would be all lovely if it would last. I get Orthovox and Icebreaker 40 % cheaper, but even then I don't buy it.
To make them last a bit longer, manufacturers incorporate synthetic fibres. Might as well and for many other reasons go full synthetic.

Since I go through Merino stuff much faster, the initially positive environmental aspect of natural vs. synthetic fibre becomes negative.

But that's just me and my experience.

Oh... and not matter what we wear, after a bunch of days you start to smell. Some smell more than others. Merino may have a positive effect on this during the first 2 days of a trip. Afterwards it all goes south.
ton

Post by ton »

merino is pretty horrible when damp.
it is ok to wear to keep warm when not doing exercise.

my fave base layer is a north face synthetic one. very very thin almost like ladies tights material.
been trying to find another, but so far failed.
gairym

Post by gairym »

I love Merino stuff, no idea what you lot are on about! :wink:

In reality i think it's all about application and conditions. Out here I only wear it in truly cold weather and I tend to dress colder with options to put warmer stuff on if needed.

So I've never had an issue with Merino getting/staying wet but I do love how warm it is.

I tend to go Icebreaker or Smartwool but only when it's discounted on Sports pursuit as otherwise it's silly expensive.