All rounder bike for a friend

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

AndyTheBikeGuy

All rounder bike for a friend

Post by AndyTheBikeGuy »

A friend is looking to get a hardtail for red routes, gravel riding and the occasional bikepacking trip. I think he's leaning towards an XC bike as there will be likely be more gravel riding and road riding to trails than there will be big gravity days.

Budget is up to £1300 but ideally around the £1000 mark. He's a tall chap too so need to be available in XL sizing.

I'd had a look at things like the Trek X-Calibre 9 but wondering if anyone had any better suggestions.

Cheers,

Andy
ton

Re: All rounder bike for a friend

Post by ton »

Andy

i ran a xcaliber 9 last winter for about 6 months.
in that time, the trek own frand hub exploded. it is a obscure boost 141 design. so normal 135 or 148 hubs dont fit.
it also came with shimano spline hub and carrier, which is also pretty poor and flimsy feeling.

i paid a grand for the bike, wish i had saved my cash and bought something else.
AndyTheBikeGuy

Post by AndyTheBikeGuy »

Thanks Ton, I hadn’t spied the 141 hub. Funny really as he cancelled his order of an MK1 frontier frame as that was the same spacing, really should have checked. Will do some more digging on decent XC bikes
Scud

Post by Scud »

What about a Sonder Frontier? Very good value, able to order without too longer build times, and you can order with a rigid or suspension fork?
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

Does he definitely want a hardtail?

I am selling a Jamis full-sus bike that hasn't had much use, it will be well under his budget too, I am 6' tall
AndyTheBikeGuy

Post by AndyTheBikeGuy »

Cheddar Man wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:42 pm Does he definitely want a hardtail?

I am selling a Jamis full-sus bike that hasn't had much use, it will be well under his budget too, I am 6' tall
He may be tempted away from HT, I think it was a bang for buck but also the weight. What model do you have and how much would you be looking for?
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

https://singletrackworld.com/2019/09/re ... l-bouncer/

Here you go, size large. £750 with a pump for the suspension. It has barely been used to be honest.