Heated Bike Phone Case

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

dlovett

Heated Bike Phone Case

Post by dlovett »

Has anybody come across a bike phone case that has either a heater or very well insulated against the cold? I have thought about trying to fit some insulation or even a re-usable hand warmer in mine, but I cannot make it fit.

I ask because I am finding the cold is really killing the battery on my phones when I am out riding in the evenings. Once I get home and warm it up then they are fine again.

Many thanks
quimarche

Re: Heated Bike Phone Case

Post by quimarche »

Could you perhaps use a cache battery with a long lead? Keeping the cache battery close to your torso should keep the voltage high.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

quimarche wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:32 pm Could you perhaps use a cache battery with a long lead? Keeping the cache battery close to your torso should keep the voltage high.
I normally run it on usb from the light's usb output port, but I am using a different bike to normal and so I don't have that set up on it. As a backup I will do that, but ideally I want to try and keep the phone a bit warmer as it's won't be doing the battery much good I suspect.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Ah, that looks like just the thing, I'll try to find one the right size.

Thanks very much.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

That'll be tricky right enough as the smaller ones come with multiple pads. But you might be able to chop them out - I am unsure how that would affect the voltage and so on.
They do get pretty hot right enough - so you might need an insulating buffer.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

15*20cm: 50-60℃
That is going to pretty warm for your phone

All batteries drop voltage in winter its what happens, if its so severe then just get a replacement battery rather than solve it with a potential fire risk that requires a power source that you could just plug into your phone anyway and do away with your " heater"
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I've ordered one of these as it should fit fine. and I can mod the cable easily.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-8CM-5V-Car ... 2749.l2649

Thanks for the suggestion.
Scud

Post by Scud »

I have the Morvelo Overland bib shorts and the base layer that have the built in pockets, love them because you can put what you'd normally put in jersey pockets in the shorts or base layer, and wear a looser fitting top over the top, has the advantage that the phone or battery is near to skin also, and under jersey/jacket to stays warm.

I remember when i used to commute every day to work by bike and we had an unforecasted blizzard, went to call my wife to ask her to pick me up and phone was completely dead, ended up flagging down a car before i lost all feeling to borrow phone
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Scud wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:07 pm I have the Morvelo Overland bib shorts and the base layer that have the built in pockets, love them because you can put what you'd normally put in jersey pockets in the shorts or base layer, and wear a looser fitting top over the top, has the advantage that the phone or battery is near to skin also, and under jersey/jacket to stays warm.

I remember when i used to commute every day to work by bike and we had an unforecasted blizzard, went to call my wife to ask her to pick me up and phone was completely dead, ended up flagging down a car before i lost all feeling to borrow phone
That's a good thought, but the phone has to really be on the bars for navigation and dealing with orders as they come up.

Thanks though.
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

Not a heated phone case but it'll do the trick :-bd

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CONQUECO-Light ... let&sr=8-3
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Chicken Legs wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:22 pm Not a heated phone case but it'll do the trick :-bd

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CONQUECO-Light ... let&sr=8-3
Hmmm, might need to upgrade the dynohub me thinks.......
substandard

Post by substandard »

Keeping your phone in a base layer pocket should keep it close to 37degrees.

Or are you using said phone in place of a bike gps device?
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

substandard wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:22 am Keeping your phone in a base layer pocket should keep it close to 37degrees.

Or are you using said phone in place of a bike gps device?
Yes I have to have the phone on the handle bars as it has to run work apps while I ride. I do run a Garmin too but that’s just for recording and it has a thing rubber cover over the unit so it doesn’t tend to get cold.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Well it turned up and it does indeed get warm. It kept the case slightly warm in the cold and the battery on the phone did last a good hour longer.

Thanks for all you help guys.
dlovett wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:02 pm I've ordered one of these as it should fit fine. and I can mod the cable easily.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-8CM-5V-Car ... 2749.l2649

Thanks for the suggestion.