Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Lazarus

GPS Tracker Thread - Spot Content and In reach

Post by Lazarus »

Dear all

I am looking at getting a tracker* for XMAS
Basically I can see two broad options
1) SPOT- Look at gen 4 which seems to be a gen 3 with a new outer - the X is well dear and bit heavy and reports say its pretty crap unless pointing directly at the sky for messages and then the cost.

2) In reach [mini I assume]

The advantages of 1 are purchase price and contract price [ currently half price for annual contract and £100 for the unit ] but i am aware a number on here criticise them - are they really crap or is it just their customer sewrvices that is crap

The advantages of 2 are dedicated two way conversation , more compact but the contract - best i can find is £25 annual fee with £15 a month [ from Garmin]- which seems to be no tracking as well

I suppose I best ask some questions now
So are spot that crap and if so how/why?

Any inreach users got any better contracts or a reason to buy them ?
Any others SOS /trackers I should consider?

I, sorry they, basically want me to be tracked , and send an I am not dead message.

* Ok I have been told I am getting one whether I like it or not
sean_iow

Re: GPS Tracker Thread - Spot Content and In reach

Post by sean_iow »

I'm happy with my Gen3 SPOT, works fine, I don't need 2 way messaging, you can use the check-in message to let people know you are ok. I've cancelled my subscription for now as it just wasn't getting used. It's only the cost of the subscription that's the issue.

I would always go SPOT as it takes removable batteries. With the Garmin you'll need to charge it if on a longer trip.

Edit, and I don't know of any decent way to mount the garmin? But that may have changed now they are more popular. Nelson's Mini fell off* in the first mile or so of the HT550 in 2019 and he couldn't find it, luckily Alasdair did locate it but not much use if he'd had an emergency.

* In the interests of a fair review, Javi lost his SPOT on the 2018 HT550
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Similar to Sean I use a SPOT as battery life is fantastic with replaceable lithiums going well over 7 days
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

No personal experience of Spot trackers but anecdotal experience from hiking friends suggests that up to about 30-40% of preset messages didn't get through.

For tracking you can install the Map My Tracks app on your phone.

As an emergency beacon I carry the oceansignal PLB1. One time only purchase, no contract, no subscription. There's no messaging capability just a come and get me I'm dying button which is all I require.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

woodsmith wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:34 pm No personal experience of Spot trackers but anecdotal experience from hiking friends suggests that up to about 30-40% of preset messages didn't get through.
I cant recall any of mine not getting through, I have my phone as one of the contacts so when I send a message* I also get the message as a text. It does miss the odd tracking point. They need to be able to see the sky and be the right way up to work well, my mount on the front bag ensures this is the case. The message sending light will flash red if it fails to get through so you can tell if it's worked.

* Obviously as I have my phone on and there is reception to receive the message I could have just text I was ok but that's not as exciting as using the SPOT :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Stop messing about and get yourself some flares

May the bridges you burn light your way
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Spot do have the half price renewal offer on currently
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I have a Spot 3 and looked at the Inreach but the battery life ruled that out for me. I didn't renew Spot last year but will likely do so this month as they have the discounted offer on.
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

Lazarus wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:18 am Dear all

I, sorry they, basically want me to be tracked , and send an I am not dead message.

* Ok I have been told I am getting one whether I like it or not
Have you checked, do they have your best interests at heart and lovingly want you to be safe.......... or do they just want to check you are miles away and not going to be around to bother them?

Just saying..... :YMDEVIL:
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Dave Barter wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:10 pm Similar to Sean I use a SPOT as battery life is fantastic with replaceable lithiums going well over 7 days
+1. My Spot 3 lasted for all 12 of last years BAM + a couple of other trips all on the one set of lithium non-rechargeable batteries that it came with.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

@ norm - have you seen the price of flares - not cheap !
Have you checked, do they have your best interests at heart and lovingly want you to be safe.......... or do they just want to check you are miles away and not going to be around to bother them?
THe PLB mentioned would cure this issue!

Chers for the info I had not seen them before and I am tempted - ok you cannot track me but over the 7 years of battery life its considerably cheaper than the others
slarge

Post by slarge »

SPOT now do a monthly subscription that you can turn on and off via their website. I think it is £17 / month (plus credit card fees etc so it works out around £20). Plus an annual fee (can't remember but maybe £45?). For the odd trip per year the Spot is probably best value, but if you need it for regular rides then it's expensive (£150+ per year).

If where you are going is OK for mobile signal and you are just doing day rides then Strava has a tracking app included in the annual fee (of £48) - Livetrack gives any contacts your location etc. But then you have a phone signal so you could text or call them.

No experience of Inreach sorry.

So far (in my experience) any kind of satellite tracking is expensive. I'm not sure whether devices that talk to satellites (rather than just receive signals) are going to cost a bit more....
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

If where you are going is OK for mobile signal and you are just doing day rides then Strava has a tracking app included in the annual fee (of £48) - Livetrack gives any contacts your location etc. But then you have a phone signal so you could text or call them.
I just use location sharing via Google Maps for this, completely free*.

*Apart from selling my soul to a tech company
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

You can also live stream your position on WhatsApp, and it is surprisingly accurate.
shutupthepunx

Post by shutupthepunx »

spot gen 3 user here. i also use that flexplan monthly option where it costs a fair bit (cant remember, maybe 75quid) the first month to set your self up. and to turn it back on for a month any other time throughout the year costs like 15quid a time, which i can live with.

excuse my numbers, they are not exact.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

I have an inReach Explorer+ and mini.

Works everywhere
Communication is two way
Two way communication during and SOS was very useful.
RAM make a nice Garmin spline mount
Yes, it’s expensive, but it works.

66i could be an option if you wanted a new GPS
AndyTheBikeGuy

Post by AndyTheBikeGuy »

Wahoo also has live tracking but needs a phone signal and the app active too.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

AndyTheBikeGuy wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:38 pm ...but needs a phone signal....
Which is why use a satellite tracker.

I’d be as happy as a pig in poo if my phone worked everywhere.
Alas, it does not, hence the tracker.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

I've been stating this on this forum for a bunch of times and will not get tired doing it many more times as I think many of us can benefit of it.

Check Protegear for a data plan.
https://www.protegear.com/

I was a SPOT user (2nd gen) and hated the lack of service, the expensive and unflexible fees. They have become a little bit better it seems, but then also I go on trips where I'm off the phone grid for multiple weeks, yet want to safely climb high, light and fast. I need a good weather window, or know when to sit out a storm in terrain that offers shelter from wind in order to stay relatively safe.
Here, a SPOT doesn't work. On the last few trips I've been using my InReach Mini - superb Piece of kit.

Surely it helps me to stay safer - my girlfriend and I raced our bikes against non-tropical cyclones twice last autumn - in an area with no phone signal we got precise weather forecast (only available through a service offered by Protegear - MetGis) and went for it. Without the two way comm only our barometres would've indicated a pressure system approaching. It would've been too late for us to push ahead or stay put and we likely would've been "trapped" by > 160 km/h winds in the open interior of Iceland.

If you need the device for tracking only, likely the easier the better. If the data plan doesn't suck and you can quit on eg a monthly basis.
If you need it for communication eg. for safe travel, go with a device that allows a two way comm. like an InReach.
If your main focus is SOS, get a two way comm device, like an InReach.

No matter what you do, if you get an InReach, make sure to use Protegear. The service is stellar. Very serious folks, super responsive no matter what your issue is (mostly stupid questions in my case :wink: ).

All in all, I believe the InReach is much better. If you don't already have a SPOT, don't get one. Get an InReach.
If you really want a SPOT - you can have mine. I've got two 2gen devices and happy to give them a new home for little exchange (which will be donated to a Swiss charity called Helvetas).
Mart

Post by Mart »

I’ve got an InReach mini
Never missed a connection to satellite, even under trees etc
Can link to phone app for further features, but I don’t use that much.
Messaging (Not essential) is handy for putting Mrs B’s mind at rest
Like to be able to just pay for the months that I need it for

Cons - only really battery life, but I have a power bank and Dyno hub usually so not a problem for me

Edit
I’ve just looked - there is a new Spot gen 4 available which claims 17 days on a set of lithium batteries at 10min interval repacking (24hrs a day)
And now Flexi plans to match that of inreach
2924 miles per Gallon
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Alpinum wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:23 am Check Protegear for a data plan.
https://www.protegear.com/
I can't understand a word of that! The data plan chart is way too complex. And it looks to be horribly expensive. I may be being dense here but it should really cater for all levels of intelligence!

I'm interested in this thread as I am thinking of getting myself a Spotgen for when I go riding solo in the future. I hear what you say about service and coverage, but I would really only want it to be able to let MR know that I was last heard of in x valley or whatever and also let anyone who wanted to know where I was and that I was ok. I wouldn't want it to accidentally summon MR because my bike had toppled over in the wind while I was making lunch or something, so it doesn't need to have lots of fancy features.

I would have got one before now if the plans weren't so expensive.

To the people that have recommended using Whatsapp and Googlemaps - doesn't this need a phone signal? There are vast areas of Scotland in particular without phone signal - you lose it about ten minutes from my house.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

To the people that have recommended using Whatsapp and Googlemaps - doesn't this need a phone signal?
Yup, absolutely. I just mentioned it as an addition to the "if where you're going has phone coverage" side-discussion.
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

Landslide wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:02 pm
To the people that have recommended using Whatsapp and Googlemaps - doesn't this need a phone signal?
Yup, absolutely. I just mentioned it as an addition to the "if where you're going has phone coverage" side-discussion.
No, I don't think it does. It would need a data signal, but not necessarily a phone signal as WhatsApp etc use data feeds and not the mobile phone signal.

They are different things, so it may work without a mobile phone signal.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Are you sure? I always assumed the data and the phone were the same unless you are in a free wif fi zone which would seem unlikely in the Highlands for example.

Can a phone really have a signal good enough for data but not enough to actually be on the network?
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

The Ofcom availability map suggests voice calls and data aren't one and the same, but I'd be surprised if you found anywhere with good data coverage but no voice coverage.
https://checker.ofcom.org.uk/mobile-coverage