Cutthroat - worth the hype?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

AlasdairMc

Cutthroat - worth the hype?

Post by AlasdairMc »

I’m considering a Salsa Cutthroat as a potential 2022 Tour Divide basher, and for general non-technical gravel type thing. I know there are several owners on here - what do you reckon?

For info, I ride a Jones and a Warbird, and I reckon the Cutthroat would sit nicely between the two of them.

What is the recommendation for sizing? I ride a 56 Warbird, regular Jones and about an 18” mountain bike.
fatbikephil

Re: Cutthroat - worth the hype?

Post by fatbikephil »

Would your Jones not be the tool for the job for the TD?
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Yeah, it's brill. Feels light, efficient and great place to pedal away the hours. I'm 5' 11", have a large Fargo, rode a large Spearfish and I got a 58. I was going to get a 56 but I contacted Salsa and they said go for the size that had the same reach as my Fargo.

Some pics here:
https://originaladventure.cc/my-atlas-mountain-race/
jameso

Post by jameso »

htrider wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:35 pm Would your Jones not be the tool for the job for the TD?
I guess it could depend on your preference for drops vs H-bars on a ride like that. A bit of weight to be saved in a carbon bike too.

I can vouch for racing on the Jones but not from wider race experience on the alternatives. It doesn't feel like the fastest bike over a short distance but it somehow is fast and I've always found it very efficient over TD type tracks and long rides. Bottom line is you need to be really comfy on whatever you choose, everything else is secondary.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

htrider wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:35 pm Would your Jones not be the tool for the job for the TD?
I suffered badly with numb fingers on the HT550 on it, and I now have a fear of cracking it again while I’m somewhere properly remote. It’s already had two repairs, and I don’t want to risk it going while in the middle of a race. I do love riding it though.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Pretty much what jameso said. You need to be exceptionally comfortable on whatever you take - the rest is secondary. I think I'd logged close to 5,000km on my Cutty before the TDR to make sure it was as comfortable, if not more, than the Ti Fargo it replaced.

FWIW, the setup I used for the TDR was also more relaxed than I'd normally ride. Piece for very valuable info from Mike was to rise my bars higher than normal early - get used to it - then keep it there. Eventually you will find it tiring to get low on aero bars. As an ex-triatlete with a very low TT position this felt odd. But was ultimately one of the best decisions I'd make.

I was happy taking a Cutty. Was it faster than my Ti Fargo - dunno. Never did the TDR on that bike. Was it more comfortable? Yes, I do think the Class5 system works. Was it lighter? Oddly not by much, build was within 500g IIRC.
jameso

Post by jameso »

AlasdairMc wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:33 pm I suffered badly with numb fingers on the HT550 on it, and I now have a fear of cracking it again while I’m somewhere properly remote. It’s already had two repairs, and I don’t want to risk it going while in the middle of a race. I do love riding it though.
TBH that's why I rode my steel Jones, not the Ti one. The Ti SF has been fine for many years since but you don't want to risk all that prep and planning.
Piece for very valuable info from Mike was to rise my bars higher than normal early - get used to it - then keep it there.
I was going to say, I had high-ish H-bars and still wanted them higher by day 7 or so. One thought was 'I wouldn't want drops after that experience' but if I'd set the drop section up at H-bar height I'd have had the higher hoods option. That would be a really high front end.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

When I rode my Cutty post TDR the bars felt stupid. Danish commuter bike stupid. But I wouldn't have wanted them any lower during the race.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

GregMay wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:37 pm Pretty much what jameso said. You need to be exceptionally comfortable on whatever you take - the rest is secondary. I think I'd logged close to 5,000km on my Cutty before the TDR to make sure it was as comfortable, if not more, than the Ti Fargo it replaced.

FWIW, the setup I used for the TDR was also more relaxed than I'd normally ride. Piece for very valuable info from Mike was to rise my bars higher than normal early - get used to it - then keep it there. Eventually you will find it tiring to get low on aero bars. As an ex-triatlete with a very low TT position this felt odd. But was ultimately one of the best decisions I'd make.

I was happy taking a Cutty. Was it faster than my Ti Fargo - dunno. Never did the TDR on that bike. Was it more comfortable? Yes, I do think the Class5 system works. Was it lighter? Oddly not by much, build was within 500g IIRC.
Thanks Greg. That’s why I’m considering getting the bike this year, so I can properly break it in and get my setup completely perfect. I’ve been impressed with the comfort of Salsa bikes - my Warbird is an old alloy one (formerly Paul Errington’s I believe), and it’s the only alloy bike I’ve ever had that doesn’t feel dead and lifeless.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Ex-Salsa associations aside - it's a great bike. I plan to take it again when I go back.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

jameso wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:39 pm
Piece for very valuable info from Mike was to rise my bars higher than normal early - get used to it - then keep it there.
I was going to say, I had high-ish H-bars and still wanted them higher by day 7 or so. One thought was 'I wouldn't want drops after that experience' but if I'd set the drop section up at H-bar height I'd have had the higher hoods option. That would be a really high front end.
I’d be a little wary of drop bars set that high.
I set my Fargo like that and in reality found that I only had I properly usable hand position- in the hooks. (Plus the aero bars)
24hrs on an ITT left me with numb fingers on one had for weeks.
Setting the bars a bit lower opened more positions for me again.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
jameso

Post by jameso »

I set my Fargo like that and in reality found that I only had I properly usable hand position- in the hooks. (Plus the aero bars)
I'd say you're right, simply moving your hands is key to avoiding too many problems. Maybe you want hoods a bit above and drops a bit below where you'd be with a flat/H bar, I'm not sure.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

jameso wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:15 pm
I'd say you're right, simply moving your hands is key to avoiding too many problems. Maybe you want hoods a bit above and drops a bit below where you'd be with a flat/H bar, I'm not sure.
That’s where I ended up. For me it was better than drops at the flat bar height.
More recently I’ve settled on H bars being a better option. Comfier over time and more hand options for relieving pressure. Of note, I’m more a plodder than a racer so favour endurance over speed.
I still would like to try flat bars with Ergon bar ends and aero extensions as an option
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

The main reason for getting one is the free map on the down tube in case you get lost.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

:lol: :lol:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Dave Barter wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:53 pm The main reason for getting one is the free map on the down tube in case you get lost.
Sadly mine is out of date seeing as the start is different now ;)
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I rode my Jones down the Divide, if I were to do it again I'd still take the Jones.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Pirahna wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:49 am I rode my Jones down the Divide, if I were to do it again I'd still take the Jones.
I've often thought about that. I wouldn't do it in the same way again so I would take the Jones - ie any bike/kit related things I learned about that kind of route at race pace might not apply to another opportunity to ride it. One thing the Jones would work well for at race or touring pace / I'd look for would be tyre space. I'd go bigger than the fast 2.2s I used and I'd want mud room still.
FLV

Post by FLV »

I looked at a cutthroat for a while, but for various reasons chose a different route.

A Large cutty was the right size for me, at 5ft 11in, only had a quick go but it was the correct size.
I ride a 19" bike usually, Large El mariachi fits me perfectly, large sonder BR, large Santa cruz chameleon etc etc.

I went for a Mason ISO instead of the cutty and am so far really pleased with it.

I liked the geo a little better on the Mason,
The 54 ISO is the same reach as a 56 cutty but 14mm more stack to raise the front a little more. You'd be welcome to a test ride if you wanted on it, perhaps Shona and Rich could get you a test ride on a Large Cutty. You could back to back them in the Manchester area after lockdown perhaps.

Also, I judged the Mason less likely to die a death by baggage handlers.