New member saying Hello & tent advice

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Rapideye

New member saying Hello & tent advice

Post by Rapideye »

Evening All

New here so probably best to give a quick introduction. Recently bought a Whyte 605 mountain bike to get out and about and gain from all the exercise and make the most of fresh air under the current circumstances. Loving the space and also getting my Kids out too. The last time I had a bike was about 28 years ago, so it's fair to say things have changed a little. As well as day-to-day biking, I'm also planning to venture further afield and working towards biking the West Highland Way next summer. I'm from near that area originally and used to camp around Loch Lomond and had always planned to do it one day. Now is that time. I currently live in lovely North Norfolk and aim to build-up riding distances and get used to kit etc around here before next summer.

Kit-wise I'm pretty much starting from scratch. I have a pretty bulky sleeping bag and that is probably all. I'm starting off getting a new tent. I've been watching loads of Youtube videos and researching quite a bit but I'm hoping some of you can help with real world experience of my short-list. Basically, I'm after a 1-man tent on the stealthier side of things. I was looking at a Geertop bivouac tent from Amazon but after thinking it over, I think I'd prefer a little more area around it for storage and cooking, especially if the weather is bad on a trip. Now, I'm down to a MSR Elixir 1 and a Wild Country Zephryos as they seem more suited and seem to be quite light.

Can anyone give a pointer on which you think is best? Other suggestions welcome.
redefined_cycles

Re: New member saying Hello & tent advice

Post by redefined_cycles »

Hi Rapideye... many on here love the SixMoonDesign Lunar Solo if that helps. I have a Trekkertent but you'd need to wait very very patiently... then wait patiently a little more and maybe an email or 2 before recieving it....

Welcome to the forum btw and congrats on your new bike and getting out there...
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Hello Rapideye and welcome.
Another vote here for Trekkertent. Lightweight, packs up about the size of a fish supper and poles are available from Bearbones :-bd .
One thing to look out for is camping around Loch Lomond is covered by local bylaws : https://www.lochlomond-trossachs.org/th ... g/go-wild/
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Welcome!

The WHW is great fun north bound, I'm sure you'll enjoy it when you get there.

I absolutely love my Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo. Spent many a night in it, loads of living space for 6ft of human to exist in. Great for cooking in a huge vestibule for smelly wet shoes! You'll need a carbon pole mind, available here. Don't buy cheap Chinese stuff off eBay when it comes to poles.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Hi and welcome. If you are planning on taking the kids with you then wouldn't you need a larger tent?
I have a MSR Carbon reflex 3. - pricey but worth it. Only 1.1kg and it's good for 3 people.
Blog post about tents here:

https://www.weirdosonbikes.com/2018/06/14/tents-tarps/

And one about An Turas Mor, which you might like to consider instead of the WHW.

https://www.weirdosonbikes.com/2020/09/ ... -mor-2020/

Have fun
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Welcome
Trekker stealth for bike packing - its the perfect compromise between bivvy and tent IMHO
The others mentioned are the Lansham ,Lunar Solo and the Gatewood Cape
IMHO there is alot of decent kit out there fromCHina for tents that are worth a punt if you are just starting out andmay notenjoy it.
Agree on a three man for kids I have a Suite Sweet - bit heavier [1.4 kg iirc]but i got it for £150 in the sales

Sleeping bag your broad choices are sysnthetic or down - I can offer no opinion on the later but they are lighter generally and warmer

Plety of folk use quilts as well so worht considerig one of those as well.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Welcome.

I've been looking at the DD Hammocks Superlight pyramids/inners and thinking I wouldn't mind having a go with one. I like the idea of pyramids as they give you enough space to sit up (I carry a chair with me quite a bit as my back is a pretzel and I can't sit on the floor for any length of time) and do your cooking and stuff.

The two parts linked to below are claimed to weigh about 1100g. Add some stakes and 135cm or so one of Stu's carbon poles, and you've got a large, stormy worthy shelter for around £200. Pack size should be reasonable as well.

https://www.ddhammocks.com/product/xl_p ... rom_cat=43

Last edited by TheBrownDog on Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm just going outside ...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

On a similar thought to Tim above, the Luxe MiniPeak is similar but both sides open which could prove useful in summer or with kids.

May the bridges you burn light your way
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

TheBrownDog wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:08 pm Welcome.

I've been looking at the DD Hammocks Superlight pyramids/inners and thinking I wouldn't mind having a go with one. I like the idea of pyramids as they give you enough space to sit up (I carry a chair with me quite a bit as my back is a pretzel and I can't sit on the floor for any length of time) and do your cooking and stuff.

The two parts linked to below are claimed to weigh about 1100g. Add some stakes and 135cm or so one of Stu's carbon poles, and you've got a large, stormy worthy shelter for around £200. Pack size should be reasonable as well.

I use this for backpacking (shh don’t don’t tell anyone) with my kids aged 8 and 11. Perfectly roomy.
I also often use a large DD tarp if I know we will be in the trees.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

Thanks everyone for your replies. To confirm, I'm going on my own as my Kids probably won't be up for it. Something about pooing in the open :lol: They come out on shorter trips. I'm also planning the Hebridean Way in 2022 and I'm hoping at least one of them will come along for that. But, if I wait around for someone else to go with, them I'd never do it.

Thanks for the other recommendations. I have seen them before but was trying to go slightly cheaper. I don't want to go too cheap but I have to justify the spend, especially when I have other things to spend out on. I do like the look of the trekkertent and Lunar solo though and they look much lighter. I'm pretty set on a tent rather than a tarp or bivouac, I think. I like the thought of having a little space to retreat to and be able to sit-up etc. I'm not a giant of a man, only 5'5 (5'7 in heels!), so I could get away without having a large set-up. I'll have a proper look now at your suggestions and see how they look.

I am aware of the camping restrictions around Loch Lomond. We used to head to the pier at Balmaha and then take a right, to a camping spot on the waters edge. Pretty nice it was and close to the pub too. Thanks for the heads up on the An Turas Mor route, Borderer. Looks quite a bit further. One to save for another time.

As I go through kitting out the rest of the gear I need I'll be back for more opinions.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

There was, also a vango F10 carbon in the classified.. No connection just a heads up..
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Have you had a look at the Alpkit Soloist. 1.2kg and £120. Should provide enough room to 'live'.

The OEX Bobcat is another which doesn't look bad. Can be had for £60ish.

Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

Hi, thanks again for the replies. I think it has helped narrow down the options to what I think I want...not that I'm really going to know what I want until I start getting out there and using it. I think the Lunar solo or Lanshan 1 or Pro 1 look to be my first. I like the designs and openings and the lower weights seems to make sense. I'm still open to some of the others though and because I'm unlikely to give it it's first go until the spring, I can wait to find what I won't. There doesn't seem to be masses of places to be in the UK and am wary of buying from overseas, especially at having to pay duty or import VAT on top.

I won't bore you all with too many more questions but can I ask is a single skin or a double skin better? And also should I really be concerning myself that a tent may be 1/2kg more than another?
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Double skin is always better in terms of condensation as you are inside the skin without condensation so a lot less likely to be dripped on but it comes at a weight penalty
Yes 500g saved on a tent is worth it But I guess that depends on how much of TLS [ take less stuff*] you want to embrace.
For me a waterproof tent ,comfy mat and warm enough bag are essential as i dont do well if i had no sleep and been cold, others are tougher than me
I am less bothered about space inside it as long as i fit and can get changed so a stealth works for me but you can get more room for the price/weight point. I also think outer pitch first is essential for UK conditions.

* stuff is the polite way of expressing it !
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

And also should I really be concerning myself that a tent may be 1/2kg more than another?
Most certainly. I'm sure even those who aren't 'too' concerned about weight would agree that 1/2kg is a substantial amount. Personally, 1.5kg would be my absolute maximum if I were carrying a proper double skinned tent but I would mostly be carrying a shelter that was around half that or less.