Cranked magazine.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Cranked magazine.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I suppose this is more of a warning than anything for those who enjoys Cranked magazine ... because the latest issue features yours truly and it's the only article they've ever attached a parental guidance warning to. Enjoy :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Al

Re: Cranked magazine.

Post by Al »

This turned up today. It’s a great interview, really enjoyed it stu. I may use it as a way explain my ridiculous hobby to people.

Oh, and I want a ‘riding bikes and building dens t-shirt’ if your pop up shop thing happens please :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I was kind of expecting to spend the next few week apologising to people Al. Direct apologies to a few and more of a sweeping, general one for everyone else :wink:
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Ordered issue 23 this morning :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Got to go into town today so will pop into the worst shop on the high street (as voted for by Britain's shoppers) to see if they have a copy.

Given the parental warning does it have c*** sticks in it? :lol:

Edit: they've only the previous edition atm, will have to wait for sweary Stu :wink: Oh, and it was £10 in store, still chuffin' expensive for a mag.
Last edited by whitestone on Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
RIP

Post by RIP »

£13's a little premium for one issue of a mag for this pensioner. Feel free to lob any old ones over if the alternative is lining the dog basket. Although obviously Stu's article alone will be worth the price of admission...
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Given the parental warning does it have c*** sticks in it?
Yep :wink:
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Q for subscribers, is it worth the cost? Notwithstanding the current one, I've had a cursory look at back issues, seems interesting. An annual sub might be a good ask to put MrsPB out of her misery deciding on my Christmas present.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

pistonbroke wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:55 am Q for subscribers, is it worth the cost? Notwithstanding the current one, I've had a cursory look at back issues, seems interesting. An annual sub might be a good ask to put MrsPB out of her misery deciding on my Christmas present.
It's a really good mag. The articles, particularly in the recent issues, have been things I'm interested in. There seems to be more of a bikepacking/adventure slant than when it first started, though it's never been a shiny-gear-and-bike-parks mag.

Issue 20 was a highlight for me - almost every article was about something, somewhere or someone I'm interested in: packrafting by Huw Oliver, framebuilding, Jo Burt, Bhutan, Greenland.

£13 is pretty steep for a single issue though. I got a subscription when they were 25% off earlier in the year and at that price for 4 issues I'm pretty pleased. Full price works out about £11 an issue delivered which is probably ok. It's a treat.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Also worth adding that Seb Rogers the owner/editor is a really top bloke and well worth supporting.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
shutuplegs

Post by shutuplegs »

While queueing seemingly into the next county for the Post Office today I saw this issue on the shelf, thought I would give it a go even if it was a tenner...

I'm very impressed. Of 130 pages in total there are only 10 full page adverts, that's it! No smaller ones or 'advertorials'. For me that justifies the higher price as I hate essentially buying adverts.

The articles look to cover a range of stuff in long form (yay, turns into a proper read) with some cracking photos. Especially of some bloke called Stuart...

I look forward to reading it properly.
“We live and learn, and big mountains are stern teachers” - HW Tilman.
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

RIP wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:38 am £13's a little premium for one issue of a mag for this pensioner. Feel free to lob any old ones over if the alternative is lining the dog basket. Although obviously Stu's article alone will be worth the price of admission...
I sent youngest to WHS in Brent X, but alas, they didn't have it. Therefore, I've stumped up the £13 for a mail order copy.

When I've finished with it, I will PM you and pass it on!
May satan walk with you
RIP

Post by RIP »

Well that's very nice of you Snow, thank you - I'll lob half the price over to you then we're both happy :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

RIP wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:31 pm Well that's very nice of you Snow, thank you - I'll lob half the price over to you then we're both happy :smile: .,
There's no need. Just pass on the goodwill when you can.
May satan walk with you
RIP

Post by RIP »

ssnowman wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:53 pm
RIP wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:31 pm Well that's very nice of you Snow, thank you - I'll lob half the price over to you then we're both happy :smile: .,
There's no need. Just pass on the goodwill when you can.
Ta. I'll add it in to the "BBB Lockdown Book Club" library....

trob6

Post by trob6 »

I have just subscribed, getting 5 mags for the price of 4 which ends on Christmas day.
I don't remember the last time I bought a bike mag but I had a look on the site and it doesn't seem the norm so willing to give it a bash.
What's the worst than can happen?
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

Some scrote at Royal Mail has nicked mine. They delivered the empty cardboard envelope in a plastic bag with a message that starts with:
Our sincere apologies. We are very sorry that this item has reached you in this condition. If anything is missing or the contents are damaged, you can report this to us by using our overly-complicated system that requires you to provide all sorts of evidence before we'll bother our addresses arses to investigate.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

The Cumbrian wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:14 pm Some scrote at Royal Mail has nicked mine. They delivered the empty cardboard envelope in a plastic bag with a message that starts with:
Our sincere apologies. We are very sorry that this item has reached you in this condition. If anything is missing or the contents are damaged, you can report this to us by using our overly-complicated system that requires you to provide all sorts of evidence before we'll bother our addresses arses to investigate.
pm me your address and I’ll make up for Royal Mail
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

That's very kind of you Dave, I'll be in touch.
Bilbo Baggins.
barney

Post by barney »

Made the mistake of "proudly" showing it to my daughters... they've been going round all day calling me a boner! :lol:
Wait for me...
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

I returned home today from a couple of days in Cumbria (spent time with the kids, went fellwalking, cycled down to Black Sail and got drunk with my cousin; all in all a splendid couple of days) to find a the copy that Dave Barter had forwarded to me had arrived (thanks very much Dave), and that I'd received a cheque from Royal Mail for £13 in recompense for my copy that had been nicked. I'd expected that to take months rather than days.
Bilbo Baggins.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

The Cumbrian wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:14 pm Some scrote at Royal Mail has nicked mine. They delivered the empty cardboard envelope in a plastic bag with a message that starts with:
Same happened to mine except that the mag was still inside. Can only assume that the strip you rip to open it isn't strong enough to contain the weighty papery goodness within. Will drop them a line to let them know - that's at least two cases, so they probably want to know about it.

Finished my copy of #23 already - another brilliant issue I thought.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

The Cumbrian wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:54 pm I returned home today from a couple of days in Cumbria (spent time with the kids, went fellwalking, cycled down to Black Sail and got drunk with my cousin; all in all a splendid couple of days) to find a the copy that Dave Barter had forwarded to me had arrived (thanks very much Dave), and that I'd received a cheque from Royal Mail for £13 in recompense for my copy that had been nicked. I'd expected that to take months rather than days.
Two reasons to pay it forward.,