is a plus bike designed from the tyres up ?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso

Re: is a plus bike designed from the tyres up ?

Post by jameso »

This purely hypothetical thing isn't at all hypothetical after all is it? :grin:

Is the designer based overseas? (Hopes)
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

For luggage carrying purposes, I specified a slightly higher BB when getting Brant to design my Pact frame.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

jameso wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:43 pm This purely hypothetical thing isn't at all hypothetical after all is it? :grin:
I'm saying nothing :grin:
Is the designer based overseas? (Hopes)
They are not, and they're very highly thought of by several people on here which is why they picked up this particular bit of hypothetical custom.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

ScotRoutes wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:15 pm For luggage carrying purposes, I specified a slightly higher BB when getting Brant to design my Pact frame.
What was your thinking here?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

In Reverse wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:47 pm
ScotRoutes wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:15 pm For luggage carrying purposes, I specified a slightly higher BB when getting Brant to design my Pact frame.
What was your thinking here?
Ah - higher BB means higher saddle. Wee legs + low saddle + big wheels leaves little space for a seatpack. Of course, there's a reduction in the size of the frame triangle but I rarely use a frame bag anyway so as long as I can fit two 750ml bottles, I don't mind.

Higher BB also results in fewer pedal strikes of course. I take that as a pleasant side-effect.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Understood :-bd
FLV

Post by FLV »

jameso wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:09 pm I hope I don't regret saying this :grin:
in this (purely hypothetical) example:
...the designer is indeed a turnip

*or may be not, if they chose a BB drop that worked for 29+ in the first place
Both these. Hope it works out :-bd
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

They are not, and they're very highly thought of by several people on here which is why they picked up this particular bit of hypothetical custom
Purely conjecture Andy but did the designer make any reference to your frame having turnups and a button fly? :wink:
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

pistonbroke wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:57 am
Purely conjecture Andy but did the designer make any reference to your frame having turnups and a button fly? :wink:
Taken an hour to get my head round this Duncan. :lol: It isn't him, no.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Ha ha, on reflection I thought I was being a bit cryptic. However his "signature dish" is fag paper tyre clearance and making the chainstays too short. I spent many happy hours grinding lumps off front mechs to make them fit :roll:
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

The geo I was asking to partly copy is one of his, including the short chainstays. The handling is razor-sharp because of it but the lean dimensions/overall width on the BB area/rear triangle does give it a bit of lateral flex which is noticeable if you're cornering hard with luggage on the bike...
DickieH

Post by DickieH »

If you have a 29+ frame why on earth would you not want to run biggest tyres possible in it?!
ton

Post by ton »

because you want to ride it on the road sometimes, and dont have the luxury of a roadbike.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

What about a Vee tyre speedster? They’re basically a 29x2.8 semi-slick
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

DickieH wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:19 pm If you have a 29+ frame why on earth would you not want to run biggest tyres possible in it?!
:-bd
You need Duro Crux's 29 x 3.25. They are bit sluggish on the road but who cares - they look fab and off road the grip is unbelievable.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

htrider wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:49 pm
DickieH wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:19 pm If you have a 29+ frame why on earth would you not want to run biggest tyres possible in it?!
You need Duro Crux's 29 x 3.25. They are bit sluggish on the road but who cares - they look fab and off road the grip is unbelievable.
Yes indeedy. I’ve always run the widest tyreon the widest rim (FatLab 55)Not sure those Crux’s would squeeze on into my 2013 Krampus frame. Maybe only with the rear wheel at the sweet spot in the horizontal drop outs. Could sit one up front though.
Vee do a 3.25 Bulldozer tyre as well but never fancied trying it out having been pretty disappointed with their Trax Fatty.

Having said that. If you’re not riding off road there’s nothing wrong with running narrower rims and tyres. I’ve seen a few folk doing that with ECR’s and Krampus online when they’re doing road/dirt road touring.

Tried to retire my Krampus by moving it’s bits onto my Fargo frame this week but got the jitters and put it all back today having not even ridden the Fargo! Can’t bring myself to loose that 29+ wagon wheeling feeling :roll:

....even if it is hard work moving the beast.

I’ve begun lusting after the Fatster Alex Pilkington rides so fast.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

ton wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:31 pm because you want to ride it on the road sometimes, and dont have the luxury of a roadbike.
Or

Because you want to.

Though more sensibly, possibly, because it's the bike you've got.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

PaulB2 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:47 pm What about a Vee tyre speedster? They’re basically a 29x2.8 semi-slick
Are these available anywhere?
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

In Reverse wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:21 am
PaulB2 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:47 pm What about a Vee tyre speedster? They’re basically a 29x2.8 semi-slick
Just had a quick look around and can't see any actually in stock, so that does put a dampener on the suggestion. Stocks of plus tyres seems to have dropped off the earth.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

PaulB2 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:40 am
In Reverse wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:21 am
Just had a quick look around and can't see any actually in stock, so that does put a dampener on the suggestion. Stocks of plus tyres seems to have dropped off the earth.
I'd be giving vee tyres a wide berth. Schwalbe g ones seem to be the got "plus" gravel tyre https://blog.jonesbikes.com/ 2.35's on 55mm rims
Last edited by fatbikephil on Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

[/quote]
I'd be giving vee tyres a wide berth. Schwalbe g ones seem to be the got "plus" gravel tyre https://blog.jonesbikes.com/riding-grav ... re-widths/ 2.35's on 55mm rims
[/quote]

Link not working
jameso

Post by jameso »

The Vee Speedsters appear a bit tougher than G-One 2.35s. I love the G-Ones but they're worryingly thin for anything spiky, yet the thin casing is what makes them so fast in places. I had an amazingly fast, dry, fingers-crossed day on the Ridgeway on my Jones with them on but I felt like I was pushing my luck the whole way over those flints.

The problem with Speedsters is that central strip tread design picks up tiny shards and flints really effectively so though they might be a bit thicker in the casing they still flat more than you might expect - far better tubeless than tubed and expect you'd be using tubeless with +sized version anyway. Good tyres otherwise.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

woodsmith wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:31 am
I'd be giving vee tyres a wide berth. Schwalbe g ones seem to be the got "plus" gravel tyre https://blog.jonesbikes.com/riding-grav ... re-widths/ 2.35's on 55mm rims
[/quote]

Link not working
[/quote]

Changed it to the blog header page. dunno why t won't let me post the link from the blog itself......

https://blog.jonesbikes.com/