What training app?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ssnowman

What training app?

Post by ssnowman »

As I'm due to take delivery of a Wahoo trainer bike today, I'm thinking about what app to use.

What are you using? Likes and dislikes?

TIA
May satan walk with you
Dave Barter

Re: What training app?

Post by Dave Barter »

I'm a Zwift user. I enjoy the odd race but mainly drag myself up the virtual climbs of Ventoux and Alp D'Uez. It has its idiosyncrasies but it's widely used and I like the occasional meetup with others. I trained for Tour Divide on it using an FTP builder programme which really did work.

But like the "which GPS" threads, someone will come along and say it's sh1te and something else is better ;-)
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Also zwift.
Does get a little boring.
However, slightly less so than without.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

There's the three long standing apps: Sufferfest; TrainerRoad; Zwift. Then there's newer systems like Rouvy. Each of the main three has a main focus but there's quite a bit of overlap. Rouvy is mainly videos of well known climbs for you to watch as you ride.

To prove Dave's point, I don't get along with Zwift :grin: , but if you need visual stimulus whilst on the trainer then it's probably the better option. Never tried Sufferfest, from memory I didn't have the level of kit needed to use it when first using the trainer. That leaves TrainerRoad, it's all about training plans and workouts - very simple graphics, basically a graph of power levels (individual to you) that you try and adhere to, so you might want some form of entertainment.

Do a search for something like "Zwift vs TR vs Sufferfest" and you'll find a few videos and blogs discussing it. Boils down to what you want to get out of the trainer and app. Zwift majors on races/the social side with some training programmes tagged on whereas TR majors on training but have group workouts if you want. Different strokes for different folks!
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've never used Zwift but I know I'm right when I say - it's sh!te.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:39 am I've never used Zwift but I know I'm right when I say - it's sh!te.
Thanks. I can strike that one off my list then :wink:
May satan walk with you
RIP

Post by RIP »

App? The gangsters of "Belleville Rendezvous" invented the very thing in 2003 - a sort of slave-powered cycle race gambling machine. To get the same effect, stick your exercise bike in front of a wall-sized screen and play a film of the Tour De France on it.

One of the best films ever made - especially since it's about biking - the animation and nuances absolutely blow anything by D1sn@y out of the water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZeWp1D8MlU

Really ought to be in the "Watching Now" thread.
Last edited by RIP on Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

App? The gangsters of "Belleville Rendezvous" invented the very thing in 2003 - a sort of slave-powered cycle race gambling machine. To get the same effect, stick your exercise bike in front of a wall-sized screen and play a film of the Tour De France on it.

One of the best films ever made - especially since it's about biking - the animation and nuances absolutely blow anything by D1sn@y out of the water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZeWp1D8MlU

Really ought to be in the "Watching Now" thread.

"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:39 am I've never used Zwift but I know I'm right when I say - it's sh!te.

No as you have not provided the context.

If you want to improve your ability to suffer it is spot on.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Sufferfest here.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

No as you have not provided the context.
I don't have to. This is the internet.
May the bridges you burn light your way
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I used trainerroad, one screen showing trainerroad and the other showing Prime Video/Netflix. Perfect for watching trashy action movies that nobody else likes!
slarge

Post by slarge »

I tried Zwift at the end of last year, couldn't really get into it but maybe didn't use it correctly (was trying to use it as a training programme but really struggled with the indoor aspect of it). Started using it again recently with a smart trainer and now I have wound down the power levels it is better, less suffering (maybe that's a bad thing?) but easier mentally.

I'm looking forward to a race tonight with the club people, hope it works!

But riding a bike indoors is a different kettle of fish to riding outdoors. Different reasons, motivations and level of fun.

As for the training app - I can't really help as I have only used Zwift, but I kind of agree with Stu. But sometimes a necessary suffering.....
Scud

Post by Scud »

I would give both Zwift and Sufferfest/Training Peaks a go, both have a free trial period.

I found Zwift best for social aspect and riding with others. But for actual solo training found Sufferfest/ Training Peaks better, i like the funny abuse and music on sufferfest, plus the training plans, have strength training and you can do yoga etc to supplement just riding.

But give them all a go on the free trials and see which floats your boat.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

In terms of training on Zwift. I did an FTP test and then followed a 12 week FTP builder. I added 50 watts to my FTP in a few months.

I feel this only works with a smart trainer that can force you into the power outputs required. The training was really tough and took me well out of my comfort zone on many occasions, but you need this to improve. I can never train properly outdoors on my own as I back off. I've only ever managed it when training with other riders who have forced me into these zones. Zwift is similar as it holds you at power levels you would normally give up on and if you can stay there it counts.

I knew my weakness was power and Zwift helped me fix it. Of course it is boring as hell but each session was typically under an hour. When I trained on the road it was worse as I had to ride somewhere suitable for intervals and then look like an utter dick sprinting about the place, not saying "hello" and furiously writing things down on my training sheet.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Other than simple endurance (though there's some evidence it works for that as well) the advantage of an indoor trainer is that it lets you target your weaknesses very specifically. Finding somewhere outside to do a whole set of intervals that isn't interrupted by junctions, traffic lights, gates, sheep, etc. is hard to do.

I've had some of the Belgium CX races showing for entertainment - not that I'd ever be able to keep up with Matthieu Van der Pol even if he had to wheelie round the courses :lol:

@ssnowman - any reasonably structured training will show results, it won't be as effective as having the full resources of British Cycling at your disposal but it will happen. Not mentioned yet but get a really good fan - search for Cleva Vacmaster, the code GS10 will get £10 off from Cleva themselves or TRAINERROAD10 for 10% off if the first doesn't work.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Xert. I don't anymore but its brilliant
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

Thanks all (or most of you :wink:) for the helpful comments and advice. I think I'm going to trial Zwift & Sufferfest and see how I get on.

I've always shied away from using an indoor bike/trainer, but I have to face it, that come winter, getting out after work in London is not great and in my case, just doesn't really happen. So, I'm hoping the trainer bike and app will manage to at least maintain my fitness over the coming winter. Also, as I'm working from home, I'm not even getting the chance to commute.
May satan walk with you
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

+1
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I'm not even getting the chance to commute.
I commute in ad home on the turbo trainer or I do double at the end of the day
Its rubbish but better than doing nothing
SeannyD

Post by SeannyD »

Tried Zwift but the gamefication put me off after a while, similar but more ‘fun’ RGT with actual rides (Mt Ventoux was epic) Now just use TrainerRoad purely as a training tool, Quite a few choices of programmes to cater for what you want to achieve. Ive a few free trials to give away, once I work out how. If anyone would like to try for free. TR works for me and is supported by a podcast and forum. A bit roadie orientated and if you don’t mind a lot of Americanisms it pretty good. :grin:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I have ridden both Alp Duez and Ventoux in real life and on Zwift. The Zwift Alp Duez was comparable but Ventoux was way too easy compared to the real thing.

The thing I really can’t comprehend is the runners that use it. Really? Has to be near apocalypse to prevent me going out.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Dave Barter wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:10 pm [...] Alp Duez [...]
Alpe d'Huez.
Dave Barter wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:10 pm The thing I really can’t comprehend is the runners that use it. Really? Has to be near apocalypse to prevent me going out.
Same for me in a way.
I can comprehend that others feel like/need to ride a stationary bike. Indoors. People obviously and thankfully are different.

Yet, I cannot fathom what would ever bring me to riding indoors. Perhaps a serious illness/injury.

There's a Strava group called 'Siff statt Zwift'. It translates into filth instead of Zwift.

Happy training to those who do, no matter how you do it.
Alec

Post by Alec »

I like Rouvy as it gives real life videos of rides around the world, i think they do a free trial. It doesn't have structured plans to follow but doea have a career mode where you have to do certain challenges and routes to level up, and regularly releases challenges where you have to ride certain routes. I find this really helps with the variety and makes me try routes that i would never contemplate trying otherwise.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:00 pm Xert. I don't anymore but its brilliant
If it’s brilliant, why did you stop using it?

I’ve been on it for 3 years and find it interesting but equally frustrating. If the execution was as good as the concept, it could be brilliant, however the algorithms don’t work for me, and the prescribed workouts are also just nonsensical in so many ways. Their website doesn’t do a good job of explaining how to get the most out of it, and whilst they respond quickly to feedback, explanations like, “you can’t argue with the maths” are not helpful... Even the three founders can’t agree with each other on their waffle-cast; it’s clear the modelling is based on theory rather then established scientific evidence.

I distract myself from the tedium of indoor training with Netflix, or similar. I definitely don’t won’t to play a cycling video game or pretend race. But I’m also not interested in Strava or other ego stroking stuff, so clearly in the minority!