Those little holes in Steel frames?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Jurassic pusher

Those little holes in Steel frames?

Post by Jurassic pusher »

You know those holes, the ones at the rear drop outs and a few other places on Steel frames, I assume they were there to allow gas to escape when the frame tubes were being welded?
I was planning to give my Singular Swift frame a dose of frame saver type stuff and the block those holes up, I then thought it my cause more trouble for not having any sort of air circulation?
Anyone done it and regretted it? or did it prolong the frame`s life till the end of time??
Thanks.
Rob.
Last edited by Jurassic pusher on Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charliecres

Re: Those little holes in Steel frames?

Post by Charliecres »

I think accepted wisdom is to leave them open to allow water to drain or evaporate.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Thing is, those holes generally aren't in an area that lets water drain or big enough to let it evaporate particularly (unless the bike's stored in a warm room?) and water that gets in tends to pool at the weld junctions. Sluice through with oil or framesaver before building then pop a bit of silicone sealant in the holes, or just spray some GT85 in once a year when you strip and rebuild it (you do, right? :wink: ) before draining the excess out. Might also help to store the bike hung front wheel up against a wall, or upside down, now and then.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I block mine up (with tape) after waxoyling everything. Its bone dry inside so no condensation issues. Just make sure you block top and bottom.....
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

Thanks for the replies, in my job (carpentry / roof timber repairs etc) air flow is very important in preventing rot / problems, so had an idea that keeping the holes open was good but I tend to spray ACF 50 in the holes whenever I get the bike wet and when I remove the seat post I squirt a load down the seat tube, it nearly sloshes!!
So if I block them up it should be well preserved!