Anyone any experience of 'non shocker' version of USE/Ultimate seatposts?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Anyone any experience of 'non shocker' version of USE/Ultimate seatposts?

Post by redefined_cycles »

Thoughts most welcome as I dont think most people buy USE for their rigid posts. In particular I'm looking at this https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mob ... prod165252

Things that make me think 'yay':

1- Its not too hard to tune carbon and someone like Exposure has plenty exp in comfort seatposts.

2- If Tom Ritchey can make almost all his WCS range as comfy as an armchair then surely USE have plenty rights with their shockpost heritage.

Things that make me think 'nay':

1- I need a 31.6 and according to Cannondales theory, a slender post makes a more forgiving one (and they do know a thing or 2 about comfort IMO)... So 31.6 could be harsh but then that'd be similar rule for many posts as I plan to get a 31.6 regardless (its a 31.6 hole Avi and I don't plan on putting a shim... where's the weight saving in that :smile: ).

You might not ride the version I mentioned above but... if you have an Exposure seatpost (USE) then please tell me anyway :-bd
Dyffers

Re: Anyone any experience of 'non shocker' version of USE/Ultimate seatposts?

Post by Dyffers »

I have one of those in 27.2 diam, on a road bike. I previously had a version of the Canyon two-part leaf spring carbon post which I was underwhelmed by, and the USE carbon one with about 15cm out of the frame doesn't ride particularly harshly and is half the weight.

I did get it on a bargain special deal, I wouldn't have paid that price in your link. I also can't get over thinking its so light I don't fully trust it, although the design has been around long enough to have been well tested. There's absolutely no way it's going on even a gravel bike, let alone a MTB, but I'm probably worrying about nothing. :roll:
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

I’ve a USE Sumo Titanium post I picked up for £40 fitted but never used by the seller (bike shop, can’t remember why he had it)

Anyway, it’s bloody lovely.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I'd have thought a 27.2 post would be lighter than a 31.6, even with a shim.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:27 pm I'd have thought a 27.2 post would be lighter than a 31.6, even with a shim.
I always thought this but I remember being surprised my 31.6 Thomson post was lighter than the same model/length I had in 27.2, something to do with wall thickness and strength with a larger diameter? Wasn't much in it mind. Might've just been the mud engrained into the saddle clamp on the well-used 27.2 :grin:
redefined_cycles

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:27 pm I'd have thought a 27.2 post would be lighter than a 31.6, even with a shim.
I thoughtthe same Colin. But in this particular instance, lile Dyffers said...

Not sure these are verified or manufacturer claims (old pic, I forget, think from one of the bikeshows mag archives)..
redefined_cycles

Apparently (from CRC reviews) the 400mm length isn't actually 400 but 370. So get get heavy o4 expensive (sorry for sounding like that) if the wrong one bought...
Moff

Post by Moff »

They sometimes have some keenly priced posts on the Outlet page of the USE/Exposure website.

I'm running a 27.2 Sumo on the singlespeed and it's definitely a more comfy ride that the Thompson I had on before.

It is possible to decrease weight as the diameter goes up as stiffness for the same wall thickness increases as the dia increases, so you can reduce the wall thickness to maintain the same stiffness this can reduce the weight if you haven't got to the stage where you compromise strength or buckling resistance.

Composites are a bit different in this sense as the wall thickness is driven by the base material type you are using (woven fibre, unidirectional fibre, tow weight, fibre decitex and resin content).
The USE post looks to be a roll wrapped carbon cloth, so the wall thickness control is +/- a cloth ply thickness, then how much pressure is applied and resin lost (unless it's infused which is slightly different, but unlikely in this case).
So you can't control the wall thickness in composites as finely as with a machined metal tube.
larsmars

Post by larsmars »

I have two 27.2 USE seatposts bought from their outlet store in the summer. One is the superlight inline carbon EVO and the other is the titanium SUMO one. Both well made and lovely. The EVO is a bit difficult to adjust the angle, but fine once setup. I got both for half price.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

The seat clamp on those is the same as the original USE ally pins. They are fine and I know of one that got a lot of very heavy use without breaking. But the bit the seat sits on can bend over time and they don't like no footed landings.....
For "normal" use they are fine.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

htrider wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:23 pm ... and they don't like no footed landings.....
Does anything?

:lol:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I used to use them on my CX bikes when I raced a lot - they are good posts. Easy to get spares from USE when you want them.
redefined_cycles

GregMay wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:23 pm I used to use them on my CX bikes when I raced a lot - they are good posts. Easy to get spares from USE when you want them.
I think that's sealed the deal for me. I want one. Will email em shortly (there's Evo 91 in they're sale/warehouse section) as its an easy 50g lost and the Boardman carbon post does look a bit tired.

Thanks everyone for your input...