What's the cheapest way to get OS mapping on a GPS?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dyffers

What's the cheapest way to get OS mapping on a GPS?

Post by Dyffers »

Trying to work out the cheapest way to get local 25k OS mapping on some kind of GPS unit.

I already have an older Garmin Etrex with full Europe road mapping that I use as a bike computer, so just something that displays an OS map with my current position is required.

Have considered a new Etrex (mapping way too expensive), a memory map 2800 (bad reviews and only 50k maps on it as standard) and am now thinking about a second hand Nexus 7, a waterproof cover and use the excellent (and free) Orux maps app. Pretty sure the tablet won't survive being strapped to my bars though.

Suggestions?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: What's the cheapest way to get OS mapping on a GPS?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If you're willing to have 1:50k rather than 1:25k then this is hard to beat.

http://gb.ioffer.com/i/2012-garmin-gb-d ... -127349741
May the bridges you burn light your way
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

I have a nexus 7 and the battery needs regular re charging, probably 8 hour max run time and I don't think it would last long strapped to bars. If you have a smart phone check out the viewranger app. It's free with some free mapping but you have to buy the os ones, I don't think the prices for them are too bad though.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Garmin Etrex 20 if you like buttons, Dakota 20 if you prefer a touchscreen. About £130 for the units from Handtec.co.uk & £25ish for the maps Stu linked to.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Stu: like the price of that but would still require purchase of a new etrex or dakota as my old etrex doesn't support OS mapping, and I'm keen on 25k mapping for the local area.

Ray: I've also already got a Nexus 7. I'm not bothered about battery life as this is mainly going to be used for sub-4 hour local exploration.

If I got an Etrex 20, has anyone tried these birdseye 25k maps?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-BirdsEye ... B005DEA67K
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've downloaded some Garmin Birdseye mapping before. I got a 'free' voucher with an eTrex 20, it worked fine but was only for 25sq km so it didn't really go far ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way
royAB

Post by royAB »

Been all round the houses on this one myself (Etrex 30) - tested all the available opensource etc etc & ultimately (reluctantly) came back to buying 25K mapping from Garmin :-(

Use Orux maps on my various .droid devices & find the free version superb. Just the usual limits of battery life & no mapping without a phone signal..
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Thanks Roy. I'm coming to the same conclusion - weighing up an Etrex20 and one of Stu's 50k SD cards for starters., then some eye-watering purchasing of local 25k mapping.

As for Orux maps, the reason I rate it so highly is that you can download 50k *and* 25k maps onto your android device for use offline. I have the whole of Dorset in 25k downloaded onto my Nexus 7...absolutely free. :o If only I thought the Nexus was rugged enough for offroad handlebar mounting...

I read somewhere on STW about creating custom mapping (for the Garmin Edge 800 specifically). Something along the lines of scanning a 25k map then spending some time associating it with lat/longs to create you own GPS-able map. Did I dream this? Anybody done such a thing? If so can they be used on Etrex or Dakota units?
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

I scanned a map of Iceland in and stitched the images together to make one, whole country image. Then imported this into Memory Map and was able to calibrate it for GPS use.

This was very successful when I took my Land Rover (memory map on laptop with bluetooth GPS receiver) there in 2007 and again on mountain bikes in 2010 (memory map on Windows mobile PDA).

Having said that, when I tried the same trick for a trip to NZ last year, I could not calibrate my scanned image for love nor money. Option was no longer available on the software I had. Very frustrating after the amount of time I had taken scanning!

Si
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Dyffers wrote: I read somewhere on STW about creating custom mapping (for the Garmin Edge 800 specifically). Something along the lines of scanning a 25k map then spending some time associating it with lat/longs to create you own GPS-able map. Did I dream this? Anybody done such a thing? If so can they be used on Etrex or Dakota units?
I can create maps for my Dakota by scanning or capturing off the internet, then importing to Google Earth as an overlay, lining up the map with the aerial photography and creating a KML file.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

I use memory map on my iphone but there is an android version of the app also - the maps are pretty cheap and you can import gpx files etc.