Merino Socks

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

dlovett

Merino Socks

Post by dlovett »

I have a couple of pairs of Merino socks that came from Aldi/Lidl years ago, but they are now starting to get worn and one has a hole in the heal. They have been brilliant and work equally well in the cooler temps as the hotter ones. However I am now After some recommendations for replacement ones, that are warm/cool in cold/hot water and are ankle length or knee length rather than 3/4 length. I am also after a recommendation for some full on arctic cold socks as I find my feet feel the cold more these days than they used to.

Many thanks
woodsmith

Re: Merino Socks

Post by woodsmith »

Darn Tough socks come in a variety of lengths and weights. They're high quality and durable. But even better than that is once they have a hole worn in them they will be replaced Free of charge.

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/darn-tough-m245
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Ive been buying PlanetX/OnOne merino socks for years. If you can handle the dreadful designs, haphazard stock supplies and occasionally wayward customer services, they're pretty good.
Last edited by TheBrownDog on Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm just going outside ...
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Plus 1 for the Darn Tough. Best socks you'll ever buy, bar none (you mark my words). I wore mine for over 2 years at least and regularly (think, extreme testing) too. They'll hardly ever stink and envelope your feet like a Lexus (or what I imagine a Lexus ls460 to be).

They'll make you smile each time you wear em and you'll eanna walk outside barefooted/bearfooted in em. They'll bring happiness to you and your family and the kids will think you're mental. They'll happily dip through puddles and get drenched and keep on going.

Then one day you'll have gotten some part of em a bit thinner than the rest and you'll be a bit sad. Maybe like me you'll call your mate and tell him about your wonderful socks and talk him into giving em a good home for the rest of their days. Handmade in Vancouver you'll tell him and with a no quibble replacement warranty for life.

He'll ask you, then why not send em back and get your replacement. Don't take the 'p*ss' you'll tell him, just wear em and be happy and bring warmth to everywhere you go. Then you'll go and try and buy some more and realise it's an eyewatering £28. Then you'll go to your local outdoor/army store and ask em for some army issue HJ Hall thick wolly socks. You'll hand over £6 or £8 (if you're unlucky) and the whole process will start all over again but this time at a reduced investment with an extra years walking to be had.

My top 3 socks of all time, in order of 'want more and more'...

1.DARNtough
2.HJ Hall army issue wooly socks
3.Dexshell (any... plenty options)
Scud

Post by Scud »

BIg fan of the Defeet Woolie Boolie socks in 6" length, Sportful also do a high winter merino sock which i really like coupled with 3/4 length bib shorts.
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

Thanks for the recommendation of Darn Tough. I have ordered some and will see how they go!
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Smart wool mountaineering socks are lovely and plush, probably the thickest merino socks I’ve come across. Smartwool socks are ace in my opinion :-bd

Since the summer I’ve also been using Stance socks and I’ve been really pleased with them, also come in funkier graphics than smartwool. The Jimmy Chin special editions are ace
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Scud wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:01 pm BIg fan of the Defeet Woolie Boolie socks in 6" length, Sportful also do a high winter merino sock which i really like coupled with 3/4 length bib shorts.
I bought a couple of pairs of the Woolie Boolies after some recommendations (either here or STW). Bloody nice they are.
ripio

Post by ripio »

JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

I'm happy with the Planet X ones.
Good prices too
https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/clothing/footwear/socks
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'll second what John says - I can put a hole in any sock and my Planet X ones have lasted as long as anything else. The thick version is nice and thick as you'd expect, warm and comfy.
May the bridges you burn light your way
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Cheers All, I'll try a pair of the on ones as they are very cheap and have a look at the other ones for the winter and christmas list.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I got two pairs of the planet x thickies for about £2 a pair. The orange ones feel much thicker and are warmer than the black and red striped ones.

I'll order a few more pairs as they make good winter socks.