Walking not cycling but still interesting - slowways.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Walking not cycling but still interesting - slowways.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

May the bridges you burn light your way
JohnClimber

Re: Walking not cycling but still interesting - slowways.

Post by JohnClimber »

I signed up a month ago when it launched, but not heard anything as yet.
psling

Post by psling »

Interesting idea and if it encourages people to get out and use the rights of way network and keep paths open then all good.

But... I can't help thinking that the information is already out there to anyone that wants to pick up a map :???: OK, so I'm happy to study a map and plot a route and I appreciate that not everyone either wants to or is able to; I have to understand that it is an aid to people getting out and travelling in a sustainable way and not just further dumbing down :cool:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Pete maybe it is more about “feasible” or “nice” routes? A map does not tell you if a path is a bogfest or unsuitable for the less abled.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
shutuplegs

Post by shutuplegs »

I had an email on Saturday saying they are planning to launch in January and are hosting some zoom seminars to provide more info to those who are interested.

Here’s the link:

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/o/slow-ways-31788773593
“We live and learn, and big mountains are stern teachers” - HW Tilman.
psling

Post by psling »

Dave Barter wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:41 pm Pete maybe it is more about “feasible” or “nice” routes? A map does not tell you if a path is a bogfest or unsuitable for the less abled.
Yes Dave. I've had a further read of their site and the concept looks really good. They appear to be very professional in how they are going about it and seem to have an understanding of how Local Authorities work too! A different and more specific approach to stuff Sustrans and the RA maybe have lost sight of or moved on from?
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I also signed up a while ago, though progressing slower than they'd like
mikejd

Post by mikejd »

Also signed up, this links with my own personal interest in path development. I am involved with two projects locally here in western Aberdeenshire to identify paths and trails - one concerned with paths in the AB54 area and one to develop a long distance trail linking 6 small communities.

A significant stumbling block arises in regard to access, notwithstanding the Scottish legal position on responsible access. The landowners recognise their obligation to allowing open, responsible access but do not agree with publicising and promoting the routes. They are OK that anyone is able to identify the route from maps but are worried that promotion will lead to increased numbers crossing the land.
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

Also really looking forward to testing out some routes for them