Has anyone ever totally given up...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mr conners

Has anyone ever totally given up...

Post by Mr conners »

On fitting a set of tyres?
Lovely WTB trail bosses on Stan sentry rims. I’ve taken skin off my palms and thumbs, snapped levers, finally got them on but even the compressor couldn’t get them up to seat on the rim. Tried again tonight but I’m thinking it’s a losing battle. Are some rims and tyres incompatible?
Arghhhh
Lazarus

Re: Has anyone ever totally given up...

Post by Lazarus »

IME yes some are incompatable

IMHO its not worth having a tyre on a rim that is so tight you could never remove it on the trail ; its a problem waiting to happen.
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

I have given up on some Schwalbe supreme (?) tyres on 26' Andra rims. They were just too baggy and the bead wouldn't seat on the rim despite trying all kinds of things including Schwalbe tyre lube and overinflating. I hate badly seated wobbly tyres so I couldn't put up with them.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Stans rims have a slightly larger OD tyre bed than most (all?) other TLR rims, or were a while back anyway. I stopped using them as too many good tyres were a PITA with them and fitting a tyre with a tube in a fix often meant the tyre wouldn't fully seat and had a wobble. They're not bad rims as such, it's just a potential drawback of the design.
Mr conners

Post by Mr conners »

I might just sell the wheels on tbh and try something else. Or try new tyres. Myself and my wife did a fairly long tour on trolls a couple of years ago. We got some velocity 26 rims built up and when I came to fit the Schwalbe marathon plus extremes (tubed) it nearly saw me off. However, with the knack they actually became easy to fit so I’m pretty adept at the tight tyre thing. These however are a different league. I’ve got some Stans rims on another bike and with bontranger tyres they couldn’t have been easier to set up. Sometimes it’s just not your day. Walk away from the bike and come back with a fresh head.
ton

Post by ton »

have a look on Spa cycles website. there is a video showing you how to fit schwalbe tyres.

i use em all the time, and can get em on and off without tools............ :-bd
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

I had big problems with WTB Rangers and Love Mud rims. I did manage to get them on eventually, but have now changed to Schwalbe G-One allrounds. The only way I could get them on was to get first bead on and then push it into the well, then mount second bead, again pushing into the well. I did then manage to get them inflated with the compressor, just slowly inflating more and more until they popped onto the bead. My worry was that although I set them up tubeless, If I needed to put a tube in while out on the trails, I very much doubt that I would be able to do so.
May satan walk with you
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

I gave up on fitting a set of 26in tyres once - I just couldn't get them to fit. Then I realised that the 26in rims I had bought on eBay were actually 27.5..... :roll:
Squirrelking

Post by Squirrelking »

Sun Ditch Witches, any tyre.

Bloody hateful things, I bought Park steel levers in the end after slicing one too many knuckles open.

I thought I'd won when I sold them on then got another set on a bike a few years later. 10 years on I still have them and they refuse to die.
adamwwallace

Post by adamwwallace »

Stans rims and WTB tyres are pretty famously incompatible. I think because Stans attempt to make tubeless easy for any tyre with their rims by making them a slightly larger diameter, while WTB do the same for their tyres on any rim by making them a slightly smaller diameter. When combined they unfortunately tend not to fit without a huge amount of effort...
Mr conners

Post by Mr conners »

I’ve fu**ed them off. The Troll now has some new 27.5 rims, nobby nics, cheap second hand eBay wheels which, if you add up the time I’ve spent getting them running, probably cost about £700 😀
Plus they’re on superstar fuel hubs, which feel like they’ll last two weeks.
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

Yeh, ironically a set of WTB Nanos on WTB i21 rims. I could get them on and sealed but never properly seated (wobbles big enough to mess with ride feel). If anyone feels like offering advice on this I’d just like to say “**** off” in advance :wink:

The bitterness is long lasting with that one.

I’d never have been able to unseat in the field either in the case of needing to put a tube in.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

If you work in a bike shop, giving up is not an option.
ton

Post by ton »

i have just fitted some marathon mondial 29 x 2 tyres with nothing more than my big fat sausage fingers.
didnt even cause me to swear.............. :lol: