Re-proofing Goretex

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

woodsmith

Re-proofing Goretex

Post by woodsmith »

Now that the sh#te weather is here my boil-in-the-bag goretex jacket is going to see a lot more use.
I've tried on a few occasions to renew the DWR coating with Nikwax Tech Wash and TX.Direct wash in system with fairly dismal results. I've tried both hand and machine treatments.

Anyone found a satisfactory method or product for treating Goretex?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Re-proofing Goretex

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Not really. Sticking it in the dryer and getting it warm after treating does seem to help but every jacket / pair of shorts I've ever treated has usually reverted back within a very short while. These days, I save myself the grief and try and avoid anything that relies on a DWR coating.
May the bridges you burn light your way
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:23 pm Not really. Sticking it in the dryer and getting it warm after treating does seem to help but every jacket / pair of shorts I've ever treated has usually reverted back within a very short while. These days, I save myself the grief and try and avoid anything that relies on a DWR coating.
I'd like to replace it with something else but haven't any experience with the " shake dry" materials. How robust are they? My bikepacking gear does double duty as hiking stuff so needs to resist pack rub and vigorous bush-wacking
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I think the Shake-dry are very fragile and won't like rucksack straps and waist belts. Quite a few people have said they get nervous around brambles, etc.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

'd like to replace it with something else but haven't any experience with the " shake dry" materials. How robust are they? My bikepacking gear does double duty as hiking stuff so needs to resist pack rub and vigorous bush-wacking
No personal experience. I favour Outdry these days.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

What they said never had reproofing work for very long afterwards and the outer just does not bead very well

Like Stu I use outdry as it does not require any treatment

Shakedry appears to be better - especially hot wet rides but its only for road use and is not recomended for rucksacs - one model is iirc- and everyone i know who has it sasys they would not take it on multoi day rides for fear of damage

Outdry and shakedry are the only non DWR ones I know of
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Paramo for double duty use.
Not great for warmer wet as Paramo is thicker than most shell jackets. I don’t use mine for roadie road rides but for everything else.
Doesn’t pack super small but very reliable, fixable with needle and thread and the company has pretty good ethics (relative to others)
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Is that the Paramo analogy stuff?

I have some trousers but not used in anger/ bad weather yet
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Yep.
When you get over the fact that the trousers look like an 80’s shell suit and use them you’ll hopefully be pleasantly surprised.
I use the trousers next to my skin over my bibs. Comfy for long days in the hills. Great for your average Lancs/Lakes winter ride.
WSC
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Cheers for the info and yes I was wondering what to wear but assumed shorts and just them

Yes they are not lookers even by cyling clothes standards
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I'd add my voice to the litany - reproofing rarely successful for any length of time and now using Outdry stuff.

Outdry's not perfect (I think it's a bit sweatier and maybe a little heavier) but it's waterproof and continues to be so long after any other "traditional" jackets I've used.
ripio

Post by ripio »

You can't 're-proof' Goretex, the 'waterproofness' is in the ptfe membrane.
All you can do is keep it clean and keep applying DWR treatment to improve beading, but it rarely lasts more than a couple of rainy days before it needs done again.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

ripio wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:06 pm You can't 're-proof' Goretex, the 'waterproofness' is in the ptfe membrane.
All you can do is keep it clean and keep applying DWR treatment to improve beading, but it rarely lasts more than a couple of rainy days before it needs done again.
I realise that, that's why I asked about renewing the DWR coating in my original post.
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

I am a Paramo analogy convert too. Some people find it too warm though, but I find it's ok, and I really like how quiet the coat is.

I switched from Goretex fabrics, and I haven't really considered going back at all.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Granger's spray on dwr and then tumble dry is what Goretex reccomed

The wash in stuff will also apply dwr to the inside of the jacket which can affect the effectiveness of the membranes moisture transport
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

OK, so I'm fed up of my Goretex. Lots of votes on here for the Columbia Reign, but looking at the photos, they look a bit short at the back. I fear a wet bum. So, you chaps that have them, are they long enough?

And what about the other option, the Paramo Analogy? 'S a lot of money, sure, but I can see myself splashing out (just). I've spent a few hours roaming the internet looking at 'em. Which one, though? There seems to be only one (Quito)that says it's for cycling and most of the sellers are out of stock of the size I need. Where do you get yours from?
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I’m using a Paramo Velez Light smock and Velez trousers, bought from Gorge Outdoors online.
Not cycling specific but as I’ve said it’s perfectly suited to bikepacking style cycling. Just be aware it will be heavier, bulkier and warmer than equivalent shell jackets.
I’m happy to leave the house wearing mine or packing it on trips in the colder months or when I expect significant rain. I don’t take mine as a ‘just in case’ layer on trips where rain is less likely, I’ve retained an old shell for that purpose.
WSC
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:23 pm Not really. Sticking it in the dryer and getting it warm after treating does seem to help but every jacket / pair of shorts I've ever treated has usually reverted back within a very short while. These days, I save myself the grief and try and avoid anything that relies on a DWR coating.
Oh dear, I will be disappointed with my Paramo Quito jacket then......
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

ledburner wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:33 pm
How so?

Paramo isn’t reliant on a dwr to work like goretex et al.
WSC
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

frogatthefarriers wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:59 pm OK, so I'm fed up of my Goretex....
And what about the other option, the Paramo Analogy? 'S a lot of money, sure, but I can see myself splashing out (just). I've spent a few hours roaming the internet looking at 'em. Which one, though? There seems to be only one (Quito)that says it's for cycling and most of the sellers are out of stock of the size I need. Where do you get yours from?
The Quito is good, for me, it runs slightly warm, so doubles as, a mid & shell layer
My version the under arm zips have been moved to the from of arms/sides.
PRO: They vent slightly better, as they open a wider.
CON: They now are more awkward to adjust whilst on the move single-handedly.
Lack of pockets, 2 int. Chest, 2 Int. Hand warmer.
No external or rear pockets.
Cuff are double shell, no 'pump' lining =shower not water proof.
The chest pocket are good. The internal hard warmer, with eject your junk when you take it off. Or stand /sit. (I modified mine adding a gusset from the Internal pocket edge to side flap....
May be a Valez smock is an alternative, doesn't have these issues?
https://flic.kr/p/2kaCMT3
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

frogatthefarriers wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:59 pm OK, so I'm fed up of my Goretex....
The Quito is good, for me, it runs slightly warm, so doubles as, a mid & shell layer.
The under arm zips have been moved to the from of arms/sides, rather than right under your armpits.
PRO: They vent slightly better, as they open a wider.
The hood fits well under a helmet.
CON: They now are more awkward to adjust whilst on the move single-handedly.
Lack of pockets, 2 int. Chest, 2 Int. Hand warmer.
No external or rear pockets.
Cuff are double shell, no 'pump' lining =shower not water proof.

The chest pockets are good. The internal hard warmer, will eject your junk when you take it off. Or stand /sit. So don't store items here!
(I modified mine adding a gusset from the Internal pocket edge to side flap.... See picture).
May be a Valez smock is an alternative, doesn't have these issues?
https://flic.kr/p/2kaCMT3
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

lune ranger wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:37 pm
ledburner wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:33 pm
How so?

Paramo isn’t reliant on a dwr to work like goretex et al.
It is more water proof with the DWR layer intact.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Yes.
Nikwax Analogy material is designed to work with TXDirect wash in.
It works just fine. I’ve had my jacket a longtime and it’s waterproofing is still spot on.
I’ve had similar experiences as Stu with trying to reproof other shell jackets- it simply doesn’t last past the first ride.
WSC