Wattbike Atom

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ssnowman

Wattbike Atom

Post by ssnowman »

Anyone got one? What do you think of it?

I'm toying with the idea of getting a secondhand one for winter training and using it with Zwift or something similar.
May satan walk with you
rufus748

Re: Wattbike Atom

Post by rufus748 »

I've got one. Picked it up at the start of the first lockdown second hand (not at the crazy second hand prices that are around at the moment). I really like it, I use it with zwift rather than the wattbike hub. The V1 has a slight lag when powering up or down on Watts (a couple of seconds) which only really causes an issue if following a training plan and you have a 10 second sprint (although as it over runs you tend to catch up as it powers down if that makes sense??). Most training plans are done in ergo mode so no grear changing anyway, just sit/stand and pedal. The Facebook page is pretty good for information and there's a lot of love for rocket plates which are easy to make (DIY). I made one, not the best but the slight movement makes a huge difference. A MUST is a really good fan. I picked up a Vacmaster Air Mover recommended on the forum, rips your face off 🤣. There's some great training plans on there or races (if that's your thing?). Easy to set up, and get started. An FTP test is a must as that sets all you trading loads. Currently using mine about five times a week and really feeling the benefit. Zwift is surprisingly immersive although there's several other trainer programmes out there I haven't tried.
Would I buy one again? yup.
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

rufus748 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:23 pm I've got one. Picked it up at the start of the first lockdown second hand (not at the crazy second hand prices that are around at the moment). I really like it, I use it with zwift rather than the wattbike hub. The V1 has a slight lag when powering up or down on Watts (a couple of seconds) which only really causes an issue if following a training plan and you have a 10 second sprint (although as it over runs you tend to catch up as it powers down if that makes sense??). Most training plans are done in ergo mode so no grear changing anyway, just sit/stand and pedal. The Facebook page is pretty good for information and there's a lot of love for rocket plates which are easy to make (DIY). I made one, not the best but the slight movement makes a huge difference. A MUST is a really good fan. I picked up a Vacmaster Air Mover recommended on the forum, rips your face off 🤣. There's some great training plans on there or races (if that's your thing?). Easy to set up, and get started. An FTP test is a must as that sets all you trading loads. Currently using mine about five times a week and really feeling the benefit. Zwift is surprisingly immersive although there's several other trainer programmes out there I haven't tried.
Would I buy one again? yup.
Thanks Rufus. I just need to find one at a reasonable price now!
May satan walk with you
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Pretty well all "smart" trainers in ERG mode have that small lag when changing effort levels.

+1 to having a decent fan, more is better, the Cleva Vacmaster is one of the better ones available in the UK.

Personally I don't get on with Zwift.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

whitestone wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:30 pm Personally I don't get on with Zwift.
Not wedded to Zwift, just seems to be a very popular choice. What are you using?
May satan walk with you
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

I bought a trainer for this winter/lockdown, still getting to grips with it. Wanted to keep the legs alive, I tried zwift trial but wasn’t for me - I think it’s good for those who like to race. I’m now on trial of bcool which is more up my street - I can select french col’s I know and get decent (proper) map - I like maps. I believe it has the ability to upload my own gpx file and video, so I can stick off-road up there and repeat rides.
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

I have some Tacx Antares rollers. Way more interesting than Zwift etc,

I mean come on, you don't spend the whole time on Zwift fretting that you may slide off sideways into the wall and bang your head on a chest of drawers while ripping the carpet and getting tyre marks up the sofa do you?
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Cheddar Man wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:08 pm I have some Tacx Antares rollers. Way more interesting than Zwift etc,

I mean come on, you don't spend the whole time on Zwift fretting that you may slide off sideways into the wall and bang your head on a chest of drawers while ripping the carpet and getting tyre marks up the sofa do you?
You mean like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN1cuVRRRzM

Old but gold
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

The Atom is either impossible to find, or very expensive 2nd hand at the moment.
But then I guess there same is true for all good turbos at the moment.

Personally I used a Neo2 turbo with an older bike that stays mounted and recently have got a rocker plate to test.
Not convinced on the rocker plate yet, but early days.

You could probably buy a really good full setup with Smart turbo for less than an Atom, so it is worth looking at what is in stock places.
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

mattpage wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:38 pm The Atom is either impossible to find, or very expensive 2nd hand at the moment.
But then I guess there same is true for all good turbos at the moment.

Personally I used a Neo2 turbo with an older bike that stays mounted and recently have got a rocker plate to test.
Not convinced on the rocker plate yet, but early days.

You could probably buy a really good full setup with Smart turbo for less than an Atom, so it is worth looking at what is in stock places.
I did start off thinking about a turbo trainer, but my wife wants to use it as well. Being that she's about 7" shorter than me, a trainer bike is probably the best set up for us (apart from price and availability).
May satan walk with you
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

ssnowman wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:03 am Anyone got one? What do you think of it?

I'm toying with the idea of getting a secondhand one for winter training and using it with Zwift or something similar.
Graham... my mate Glenn in London is selling his Wattbike but think its the previous than the Atom. He has up on a private chat for £1300 which I reckon if you offered £1250 he'd take it (don't tell him I said that). Wants it collected though. Near Ilford somewhere. Lemme know if you want more info or his...
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

Thanks Shaf, that would have been ideal but I've just splurged out on a Wahoo Kickr Bike😯
May satan walk with you
redefined_cycles

ssnowman wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:11 pm Thanks Shaf, that would have been ideal but I've just splurged out on a Wahoo Kickr Bike😯
Just googled it... in the words of the Quantum Leap chap... "oh boy". :lol:

amazing and hope it last you well. If anyone knows how to make a top end TT then its definitely Wahoo. Bet they've got a bigger user interface to gain exp from too :-bd and wouldn't be surprised if my Glenn has upgraded to that (gonna ask him)...
redefined_cycles

Asked him and this is what he said (upgraded to what you've bought)...

"I wanna do hills. My wattbike is good but not smart. The kickr will react to hills on zwift and tilt to force use of diff muscles"
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:49 pm
ssnowman wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:11 pm Thanks Shaf, that would have been ideal but I've just splurged out on a Wahoo Kickr Bike😯
Just googled it... in the words of the Quantum Leap chap... "oh boy". :lol:

amazing and hope it last you well. If anyone knows how to make a top end TT then its definitely Wahoo. Bet they've got a bigger user interface to gain exp from too :-bd and wouldn't be surprised if my Glenn has upgraded to that (gonna ask him)...
Mega expensive, but Wattbike isn't available until March, Tacx Neo January at the earliest, Stages SB20 was available but getting near to the Wahoo on price but not quite as good, and I managed to find somewhere that had a delivery of the Kickr yesterday. They now have just one left and don't know when they will get any more in stock. I just thought what the hell, you only live once.

Crazy thing is I have just paid way more for a stationery bike than I have for a real one :lol: :lol: :lol:
May satan walk with you
Scud

Post by Scud »

I find the Sufferfst videos and training plans good, you get really involved and now it is coupled with Training Peaks, you can get all the metrics you want.