My Arcteryx experience

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Re: My Arcteryx experience

Post by redefined_cycles »

Rambles are good Stu... its what makes the forum is it not :grin: ...

Just to be clear, I really wasn't having a dig at Arcteryx and from reading about they seem to be the lightest in their class. Maybe thats why (according to a reviewer) they shouldn't be expected to last too long with proper use. I'll accept that they were the most comfy shoes I've ever worn.

I had read about all their ethical and recycling 'puke' so had expected a little more life from em unfortunately. Obviously I was wrong and to be fair, for them first 20 miles of that there BB200 they were waterproof (tested through the stream). So you could argue it was Wales that broke em.

Lets stick to that, Wales (and NHS wipes) broke em with no fault of Arcteryx themselves :-bd Why should we expect a £250 pair of poo (sorry shoes... and I paid less than half price but waited about 3 weeks happily) to last beyond 7 months and 12 months before they delaminate and leak respectively...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

reading about they seem to be the lightest in their class. Maybe thats why (according to a reviewer) they shouldn't be expected to last too long with proper use.
True Shaf. I had some Innov8 boots like that. Stupidly light and comfy but I destroyed them very quickly - I am heavy on shoes though.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

We get issued with Goretex lined boots at work. We've had them from various brands (Haix and a few others I can't remember) but always with a Gore liner. I've Googled them out of curiosity and retail pricing has been around the £200 mark. The liner invariably fails on them due to wear from being flexed by the foot before there's any visual sign of wear on the outer (either sole or upper) leading to a boot that looks fine but leaks so I don't think that it matters whether the boot has seen heavy, outdoors usage or not, if it's been worn a lot it'll be subject to flexing which will impact on the effectiveness of the membrane.
I've had a pair of Altbergs which I bought myself before work started issuing us footwear and they were the comfiest boots I've had (very supple leather). They too succumbed to the membrane failing before the outer but I continued using them as they were so comfy. You can send Altbergs back and they'll refurbish them (patching the leather, replacing the membrane and resoling) so they are a good option if you're concerned about sustainability. They're based near Richmond (North Yorkshire) IIRC.
redefined_cycles

Jurassic wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:48 am We get issued with Goretex lined boots at work. We've had them from various brands (Haix and a few others I can't remember) but always with a Gore liner. I've Googled them out of curiosity and retail pricing has been around the £200 mark. The liner invariably fails on them due to wear from being flexed by the foot before there's any visual sign of wear on the outer (either sole or upper) leading to a boot that looks fine but leaks so I don't think that it matters whether the boot has seen heavy, outdoors usage or not, if it's been worn a lot it'll be subject to flexing which will impact on the effectiveness of the membrane.
I've had a pair of Altbergs which I bought myself before work started issuing us footwear and they were the comfiest boots I've had (very supple leather). They too succumbed to the membrane failing before the outer but I continued using them as they were so comfy. You can send Altbergs back and they'll refurbish them (patching the leather, replacing the membrane and resoling) so they are a good option if you're concerned about sustainability. They're based near Richmond (North Yorkshire) IIRC.
Thanks... Yes, I called Altberg yesterday and apparently they do police discount which they're happy to pass on to NHS (as long as we go for police boots). Nice to know they were one of the comfiest you've had. Lets see what happens with Arcteryx as I emailed em yesterday with something nice/reasonable...

Sad to know that all liners fail eventually with proper use :smile:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Goretex/other membrane liners are very much destined to fail in footwear. If the boot is reliant on it for waterproofing you will end up with wet feet before long.
Altberg boots are issued to UK armed forces these days and are popular with most squadies. Less guys buy their own boots than they used to in the past.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Surprised that Arcteryx behaved like this; I’ve always had excellent back-up from them, far better than most brands, only matched by Asoss.

Owned several breathable membrane boots and even before the membrane is compromised (inevitable sooner or later) Water always gets in somehow hiking or riding in wet conditions. Always.
Sealskin socks are even worse; never last more then half dozen rides before they lose all waterproof qualities.

On the good news, my favourite and best value boots ever were Altberg.
redefined_cycles

Quick update in my little cheapskate (bought em for £99 and thankfully not full price £250) Arcteryx journey. Emailed the rep back on the last message asking me if I want my boots returning or 40% discount. Emailed my response explaining how the delamination had started within the 7 month period and emailed eveidence of my original correspondence with the retailer SportPursuit* (who were great btw). Including photo evidence of the emails/pics.

No response back so with the 'benefit of the doubt' I decided to call em. This was around the start or before current lockdown starting. Spoke to a nice chap and he coordinated/found my original messages and emails. Said to leave it with him and they'll get back in touch.

Anyway... I've emailed em once more and asked for the 40% discount voucher and that I'm not happy the previous 2 messages have just been ignored and not followed up.

From what Luke mentioned about having used Clinell wipes on em so they were doomed anyway (not much and the delam had started well into the the first couple of weeks of Covid... but mentioning for completeness and to give them the benefit of that bit), I shouldn't grumble too much about em falling apart. But the communication does seem to have broken down and on the whole I don't think I'll be buying from them again.

Experience with Crikey, how much and other 'high enders' have been totally different. So much so that if/when my Crikey, how much gear falls apart I just get rid and no need to contact em (unless its brandnew off course)...

Anyway... :-bd (Thanks Arcteryx for your customer service).

Might still buy another set of them boots though if I can find em cheap as they were 'oh, so comfy' and for completeness of thread (maybe another update in years to come...).
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I’m using Birkenstock Boston clogs.... absolutely no falling apart with regular Chlorox douches.... not so good with flat pedals though :lol:
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
redefined_cycles

lune ranger wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:02 am I’m using Birkenstock Boston clogs.... absolutely no falling apart with regular Chlorox douches.... not so good with flat pedals though :lol:
Just googled em. Blooming expensive them Luke. I haven't quite managed to make the transition to open shoes/crocs/slippers just yet. Not got enough 'cool credits'... :cool:
redefined_cycles

Hold pn... wait a minute... looks like I won't be chucking em out just yet with the bath water. Quick response with an explanation that they're not done with me yet, an apology and that they've been having so tech issues.

Might well be a £800 per jacket (not that I'd pay that!) quality company afterall!!!