Surly LHT 26, where to buy in europe?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

gsilos

Surly LHT 26, where to buy in europe?

Post by gsilos »

Hello !

Im from Berlin/Germany and Im looking for a Surly Long Haul Trucker 26 inches wheel with rim brakes (frame size 62cm). Looks like it is hard to find this here. For some reason, most of european resellers have maximum frame size 58 on stock.

Do someone know where to find it used or new?

Thank you!
Teetosugars

Re: Surly LHT 26, where to buy in europe?

Post by Teetosugars »

Try Rich and Shona at Keep Peddling in Manchester?
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

LHT is now discontinued. The UK distributor have no 62cm. I doubt you'll find a dealer with one of those in stock, it would be a special order only. QBP (US distributor and Surly parent Company) only have 62cm in stock in the 700c version. So this makes it virtually impossible for any Surly dealers to order one. Basically, unless you can find a shop that already has one or someone selling used, I think you're going to be out of luck.
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

I guess if its discontinued you'd have to look at a Disk Trucker, Troll if you don't mind flat bars or maybe something like a Thorn Sherpa if you def want both drops and rim brakes.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I don't think I'd let the V brake v disc debate be the deciding factor. Some decent cable discs shouldn't cause you anymore trouble than V's and you'll also have better brakes which is quite useful on a heavily laden bike :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:20 am I don't think I'd let the V brake v disc debate be the deciding factor. Some decent cable discs shouldn't cause you anymore trouble than V's and you'll also have better brakes which is quite useful on a heavily laden bike :wink:
Yep. Cable BB7’s and as big a rotor as you can fit are just the ticket for a heavyweight tourer.
On a long trip you don’t wear away your rims and the big rotors handle the heat better on long DH where on a heavy tourer you are liable to be scrubbing your speed off by braking the whole way down.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

lune ranger wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:29 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:20 am I don't think I'd let the V brake v disc debate be the deciding factor. Some decent cable discs shouldn't cause you anymore trouble than V's and you'll also have better brakes which is quite useful on a heavily laden bike :wink:
Yep. Cable BB7’s and as big a rotor as you can fit are just the ticket for a heavyweight tourer.
On a long trip you don’t wear away your rims and the big rotors handle the heat better on long DH where on a heavy tourer you are liable to be scrubbing your speed off by braking the whole way down.
Agee. I wouldn't go back to rim brakes on a new bike. But some people like them. It's hard to tell from the website but it looks like Spa may have some frames they build up as custom bikes, but they don't ship outside the UK/Ireland. https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m1b183s225p ... ustom-2019

Edit. Just remembered you want a 62 and they don't seem to have that size.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

ebay UK always seems to have lots of LHT's but whether shipping to Germany is an option I wouldn't know.