'A' poles instead of a single pole

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikerbill

'A' poles instead of a single pole

Post by fatbikerbill »

So I have a tarp, a bare paws lair to be precise that like many is designed for a single vertical pole.

I have such a pole courtesy of Stuart that is great.

But as I slept in it the other night I wondered why not have an 'A' pole. It would give so much more room underneath the tarp.

The hard bit would be the shape & design of the A. In my case I think it would have to be an A with a slight spike as the, 'funnel' is quite slender.

Has anyone tried this?
Shewie

Re: 'A' poles instead of a single pole

Post by Shewie »

Yeah Ive used this setup in a Solomid and Khufu

A couple of 12” lengths of old graphite golf club shaft and a bit of rubber pipe for the join.

Or you can buy a few options online, I have the Locus Gear DPTE which is a bit gucci.

Not sure how it would work with skinny carbon poles but fine slipped on trekking pole tips
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

While two poles set up as an A will usually provide more room, be aware that it doesn't mean it will provide more strength or storm resistance to the pitch. The need to angle the poles certainly puts a greater stress on them and it can be more difficult to produce as tight a pitch as you can with a single upright pole. I'm not saying don't do it, simply that you need to be aware that it's not as clear cut as it sometimes appears at first.

For joining two poles, I've found a section of silicone tube pushed over the ends can make a reasonable joint / hinge.
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

I certainly hadn't thought about the increase in stress, that does make sense.

I'd like to try it, but can't justify the two new poles I'd need as both would obviously be longer than my current single pole.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:22 am While two poles set up as an A will usually provide more room, be aware that it doesn't mean it will provide more strength or storm resistance to the pitch. The need to angle the poles certainly puts a greater stress on them and it can be more difficult to produce as tight a pitch as you can with a single upright pole. I'm not saying don't do it, simply that you need to be aware that it's not as clear cut as it sometimes appears at first.

For joining two poles, I've found a section of silicone tube pushed over the ends can make a reasonable joint / hinge.
Is a single pole stronger though than 2 poles in A frame? Theoretically the 2 pole setup will have half the force through each pole, so should be stronger (assuming the wind isn't gusting and forcing more strain onto one of the 2 poles)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It's the way the poles are loaded Steve. Consider a single pole set vertically, the load from a shelter will be running straight down through the pole, ie compression load. A pole can generally take quite a lot of that.

Now think of a pole set at an angle. The same forces will be applied from the shelter but this time the pole will experience side or bending load. A pole can handle far less load in this plane than it can in compression.
May the bridges you burn light your way