Waterproof glove to try

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Al

Waterproof glove to try

Post by Al »

I’m got an old pair of extremities tuff bag over mitts I put over the top of other gloves when the weather gets pretty welsh. They are goretex so fairly breathable, but if I’m resorting to using them it’s probably not my primary concern. Anyway the rubber coated palm has all but disintegrated and I’m looking for alternatives.

The main issue I’ve had with them is the lack of dexterity- only marginally better than a pair of bread bags. What I want is a glove.

Spotted these Japanese fisherman’s gloves watching hipster gravel videos on YouTube (don’t judge me). I think the breathability claims are probably nonsense, but I’m not fussed.

https://youtu.be/MUfKmDqbZ2Q

Figured they would be a nightmare to track down over here. Anyway turns out you can get them for a tenner in screw fix :-bd there are lined insulated ones and unlined ones which I’m going to take a punt on.

Another review here:
https://andrewskurka.com/review-showa-2 ... es-temres/
u02sgb

Re: Waterproof glove to try

Post by u02sgb »

I'd buy them based on Skurka's review. He's pretty thorough.

Please tell us how you get on, also interested.
jameso

Post by jameso »

(The opposite approach from what you're describing but) I'm a fan of neoprene gloves if you want weather-resistance and dexterity. Somehow they make doing up zips and opening wrappers far easier than fabric layered gloves, something to do with the close fit and consistent spring in the rubber. 'real feel' gloves .. haha.
I've used a bulkier and looser-fitting glove over the top for warmth or more weather resistance (ideal would be a 3-finger Buffalo mitt if someone made something like that). Works well as you just take off the outer when you need dexterity. Thicker 3-finger neoprene diver's gloves are also good when it's really cold and wet and don't stop you using zips etc anywhere near as much as you'd think based on how thick they are.
Last edited by jameso on Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I was a big fan of Glacier gloves but kept ripping the seams round the ball of the thumb and they weren't cheap. Then tried something similar to the Showa gloves and found they worked pretty well. Not as warm as properly insulated gloves but I find it's wet hands that make me suffer rather than cold hands ... but obviously, wet hands quickly leads to cold hands :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

After my glacier gloves suffered the same fate as Stu's I got some neoprene gloves from Aldi and they've been brilliant.

I also got some -50 warehouse gloves from screwfix and for what little they cost me they've also been really good if a little bulky. They are rubber dipped so aren't fully waterproof.
Al

Post by Al »

If this turns out to be a crap idea I will definitely revisit neoprene ones. I’ve got a fairly thin pair from Aldi just to try - they’re ok. But definitely did not keep me as warm as I’d hoped. Perhaps some of the lomo ones or look out for some lobster ones Jameso mentioned.
sterobe

Post by sterobe »

What neoprene cycling glove do people recommend?
underwater basket weaver
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've used the Polaris ones and they were OK. One downside is that they don't really work for overnighters at this time of year. They don't breathe and operate on the principle of retaining a warm, damp layer. That's fine in use but if it's a cold night, then you'll be putting on cold, wet gloves the next day. Especially bad if it has been sub-zero.

The solution is pogies. Trust me.
AndyTheBikeGuy

Post by AndyTheBikeGuy »

sterobe wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:53 am What neoprene cycling glove do people recommend?
I used a set of the Aldi ones for ages but I wore through the palm after a winter of heavy use. Since then I got a pair of Enduras and they’ve lasted really well. The only problem I’ve ever found with them is if you have to take them off (like to go into a cafe or do any repairs) they get cold quickly and really rely on your hands having some heat left in them to heat them up. As a result, I’ve often taken a spare set of thin liner gloves for emergencies.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yep :-bd
sterobe

Post by sterobe »

AndyTheBikeGuy wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:11 pm
sterobe wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:53 am What neoprene cycling glove do people recommend?
I used a set of the Aldi ones for ages but I wore through the palm after a winter of heavy use. Since then I got a pair of Enduras and they’ve lasted really well. The only problem I’ve ever found with them is if you have to take them off (like to go into a cafe or do any repairs) they get cold quickly and really rely on your hands having some heat left in them to heat them up. As a result, I’ve often taken a spare set of thin liner gloves for emergencies.
Thanks!
underwater basket weaver
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:29 pm
Same here!

Have tried the neoprene option and simply can’t get warm in them. Also tried johnnystorms method of the workmen gloves and below piggies, they work a treat :-bd
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

voodoo_simon wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:47 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:29 pm
Same here!

Have tried the neoprene option and simply can’t get warm in them. Also tried johnnystorms method of the workmen gloves and below piggies, they work a treat :-bd
Another vote for pogies. I have a pair of Hot Pogs and I can wear summer gloves under them in the depths of winter. The Pogs don't keep your hands dry but they develop their own warm micro-climate inside. I've ridden in summer gloves in driving, wet snow and still had warm hands. The downside is that they're bulky to carry if you're not actually using them but they do make a decent insulated sit mat if you stop for a break which does balance this out a little.
jay91

Post by jay91 »

I've got the lomo MTB ones to try they look good quality
Trying to ride bikes.
Al

Post by Al »

Often fancied trying some poggies. The problem I have is finding things that work with drop bars for the commute. I’d be happy with my big montane mittens but wouldn’t be able to brake and change gear :shock:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Bar Mitts used to make drop bar pogies Al. Ooh still do: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bar-Mitts-Hand ... B00380H7PK
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Agree on the pogie love. Have been meaning to try some drop bar ones recently.

Interested to hear if anyone's tried those Bar Mitts Stu linked. There's a few options around the £15 sort of mark on eBay (Giyo, Wheel Up, Rock Bros), and they all look fairly similar, neoprene shell.
Huwblut

Post by Huwblut »

I’ve been using something similar to these for properly foul weather. Possibly overkill but as long as it’s raining & you’re output is fairly high they’ve been really good.

https://www.ndiver.com/7mm-kevlar-mitts-gloves-2
Al

Post by Al »

Huwblut wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:14 pm I’ve been using something similar to these for properly foul weather. Possibly overkill but as long as it’s raining & you’re output is fairly high they’ve been really good.

https://www.ndiver.com/7mm-kevlar-mitts-gloves-2
They look very promising- could work well with drops too. 7mm seems quite thick though, what’s the dexterity like?
Al

Post by Al »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:03 pm Bar Mitts used to make drop bar pogies Al. Ooh still do: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bar-Mitts-Hand ... B00380H7PK
Am I looking at the pics wrong or can you only ride on the hoods?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Am I looking at the pics wrong or can you only ride on the hoods?
Don't know Al, never tried any.
Huwblut

Post by Huwblut »

Dexterity is okay . They’re pretty clunky, it’s just about possible to open a bar , pork pie etc.

It’s useful to have an independent braking finger whilst retaining mitt like warmth.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

I’ve heard Goretex overmitts being recommended before. I find that dedicated winter gloves aren’t good at just above freezing, because none ever stay properly dry in rain or sleet.

I took two pairs of winter gloves with me on an overnight and because they both got so soaked I couldn’t retain any warmth at all in my hands. I ended up having to continue my ride wearing just latex gloves I’d brought for mechanicals. I therefore think that the overmitt might be an elegant solution here as they’re lightweight and boost any insulated glove by keeping it dry.
Al

Post by Al »

AlasdairMc wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:47 pm I’ve heard Goretex overmitts being recommended before. I find that dedicated winter gloves aren’t good at just above freezing, because none ever stay properly dry in rain or sleet.

I took two pairs of winter gloves with me on an overnight and because they both got so soaked I couldn’t retain any warmth at all in my hands. I ended up having to continue my ride wearing just latex gloves I’d brought for mechanicals. I therefore think that the overmitt might be an elegant solution here as they’re lightweight and boost any insulated glove by keeping it dry.
The goretex mitts like tuff bags are great and I have used them for years as you described. The problem is trying to find something similar which will work with drop bars.
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

A quick Google.

The showa gloves are only £8.99 from screwfix https://www.screwfix.com/p/showa-281-te ... lsrc=aw.ds

Got to be worth a pop.