Kinesis tripster v3 ti or an alternative?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ShaunyC66

Kinesis tripster v3 ti or an alternative?

Post by ShaunyC66 »

Hi
I’m thinking of completely blowing my budget and splashing out on a V3 titanium tripster .
Has anybody got one if so how happy are you with it ?
My intention is to use it for everything from Winter road rides to hopefully bike packing trips next year . But mainly for mid week off road rides the terrain locally is a varied mixture of muddy bridal paths and Sandy trails this adds up to make tyre clearance very important.
I believe Kinesis claim that mud clearance on
700c is 45mm and 50mm on 650b wheels my preference would be wide tyres so if run the maximum tyres recommend will there be PLENTY of mud clearance?
Also sizing I’m 5-11 with 32” inside leg I’m guessing Medium ?
If you have one please post a pic , who doesn’t like a picture 👍

Thanks in advance

PS ..I did also consider and still am either a Sonder Camino or Ribble cgr both in ti ...thoughts on these or anything else worth considering 👍👍
substandard

Re: Kinesis tripster v3 ti or an alternative?

Post by substandard »

Probably a bit biased, but for me, for bikepacking - comfort is king.

I’m currently running a titanium Smokestone Mr Harry with 29x2.6” tyres and mud clearance for British mud. I’m In the process of building up some road wheels for it soon with the view of getting shot of my road bike. Ticks all the boxes for me as I love drop bars but love proper tyres too.

I had a ‘gravel bike’ and ran 40-42mm tyres for a while and for me, for the terrain I have and the bikepacking I like doing, this was not enough tyre for me.
jameso

Post by jameso »

my preference would be wide tyres so if run the maximum tyres recommend will there be PLENTY of mud clearance?
If it's a drop bar bike that takes a road chainset It won't have lots of clearance. Standards dictate minimum 5mm on a road bike, 6mm on anything else. I doubt it'll have significantly more as it's limited by chainstay length and chainset spec.

If it's that muddy it wouldn't be the sort of bike I'd want to be on for loaded riding anyway, but ymmv etc
Rich3rd

Post by Rich3rd »

ShaunyC66 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:23 am Hi
I’m thinking of completely blowing my budget and splashing out on a V3 titanium tripster .
Has anybody got one if so how happy are you with it ?
My intention is to use it for everything from Winter road rides to hopefully bike packing trips next year . But mainly for mid week off road rides the terrain locally is a varied mixture of muddy bridal paths and Sandy trails this adds up to make tyre clearance very important.
I believe Kinesis claim that mud clearance on
700c is 45mm and 50mm on 650b wheels my preference would be wide tyres so if run the maximum tyres recommend will there be PLENTY of mud clearance?
Also sizing I’m 5-11 with 32” inside leg I’m guessing Medium ?
If you have one please post a pic , who doesn’t like a picture 👍

Thanks in advance

PS ..I did also consider and still am either a Sonder Camino or Ribble cgr both in ti ...thoughts on these or anything else worth considering 👍👍

Reilly Gradient, I've got one, loads of clearance on 45x700c rear, 50x700c + on the front. Ride quality, looks and handling amazing. Buy 2 sets of wheels of same brand in you can afford, other set for Road.
Never knowingly under biked...
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

FWIW I have the v1 Frameset and it’s the best bike I’ve ever owned. Never bike packed on it but have ridden on 80 mile mixed surface rides and on trails and it’s never let me down.
Alexinthepeaks

Post by Alexinthepeaks »

I run a Ribble CGR TI with 45mm Raddler on 28mmID XC rims so they come up large.

No mud clearance issues yet, and believe me, ive been though lots of mud.

Even if it does clog its not gonna strip the paint on a ti bike or worse eat the carbon :)
wurzel58dog

Post by wurzel58dog »

If it's deep mud a narrower tyre is better - unless you just love lots of 2 wheels slides.
Of course rocks and narrow tyres are not so good.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

I have a V2 Tripster ATR and run 650x1.9" Gravelkings on the rear with no issues. I started with 2" Nanos, but the rear did rub at times. 700c looks to have 45mm room, but I tend to run 40's, which have plenty extra space. You can now get whole Ti bikes for the price of a frame, but there are so many nice features on the ATR to add to the sorted geometry and proven comfort. Check https://welovemountains.net/category/cy ... t-reviews/ for lots of long term proper testing. Or Emma Osenton (@waterrat77 on insta)