Time to get revenge on Stuart

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: Time to get revenge on Stuart

Post by RIP »

Just checked the plottings there - is #1 in the correct place? I'm out and about so can't quite see what's going on so could be wrong but 1 and 6 should be adjacent.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Nice one Jeff, that’s a great overview (and shows I’m ‘nicer’ than several other chaps here :lol: )

Thanks Bob, I’ll check that site out when I’ve done my jobs...

No problem about the funds, I’ll hold fire until post-ride :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

So who provided the most awkward/hard to get GR? I currently thinking either #9 or #10 then again one of my accidental pair is very interesting!
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
RIP

Post by RIP »

whitestone wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:51 pm one of my accidental pair is very interesting!
Spotted the slight technical issue there then :wink: . I know Stu's a very resourceful chap but even he will need to draw on all his ingenuity to solve that one :grin: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

whitestone wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:51 pm So who provided the most awkward/hard to get to GR?
Bit of a shame the Welshpool one is such an outlier because all the others could make a really nice circuit couldn't they? If it was me, bearing in mind any 'publically available' facilities etc can be used, I'd be jumping on the train from Welshpool to Caersws after bagging it :wink: .

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Reg, the technical issue was that I couldn't get a GR off a map correctly! :lol: The fact that the erroneous GR just happens to be where it is is pure fluke.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

All highlighted on 6 Explorer maps. I'll now turn my attention to joining the dots together.
I'd be jumping on the train from Welshpool to Caersws after bagging it
There seems to be one very much on a train-line Reg - as in 'right on the train-line'. I'll take another look at that.

I think CM has possibly handed me the biggest ball-ache. I may packraft that one :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

whitestone wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:03 pm Reg, the technical issue was that I couldn't get a GR off a map correctly! :lol: The fact that the erroneous GR just happens to be where it is is pure fluke.
Oh right! I originally thought you'd chosen it :smile: . As you say, the fluke is even more hilarious!

Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:07 pm All highlighted on 6 Explorer maps. I'll now turn my attention to joining the dots together.
There seems to be one very much on a train-line Reg - as in 'right on the train-line'. I'll take another look at that.

I think CM has possibly handed me the biggest ball-ache. I may packraft that one :wink:
Oh dear :oops:

I thought it looked a nice spot on the map overlooking the water and was deliberately not at the top of something high or in the arse end of nowhere. Ooops :o
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:07 pm All highlighted on 6 Explorer maps. I'll now turn my attention to joining the dots together.

The most easterly one should be SJ082(4)058(0) which is on a bridleway
Last edited by Dave Barter on Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
RIP

Post by RIP »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:14 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:07 pm I think CM has possibly handed me the biggest ball-ache. I may packraft that one :wink:
Oh dear :oops:

I thought it looked a nice spot on the map overlooking the water and was deliberately not at the top of something high or in the arse end of nowhere. Ooops :o
Well two out of three isn't bad :lol: :lol:

RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:07 pm There seems to be one very much on a train-line Reg - as in 'right on the train-line'. I'll take another look at that.
:wink:

It's actually just on the other side of the line - there's a nice gate and everything.

I was going to mention that it might be best to take your train and tide tables with you......

Then again, "on" the line would add a certain frisson of excitement to the proceedings :smile: .

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

the arse end of nowhere
Never ventured up there have you? The BW runs round the side of Drosgol - you can make it out on this picture kind of. You can't hit it from the east side as it's just deep blanket bog on the approach, so it'll likely be an out and back from the west or I'll swim across to it :wink:

Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Local knowledge sadly lacking :oops:

I mean it looked lovely on the map when John was hassling me to give him a gridref :grin:
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Nice one Jeff

The one near Welshpool does look a bit out the way compared with the others. Definite Snowdonia bias to them overall
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Clicking this megalink will bring up all the points on a zoomable and full-screen-able map

https://gridreferencefinder.com?gr=SN86 ... r&labels=1
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

In Reverse wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:25 pm Clicking this megalink will bring up all the points on a zoomable and full-screen-able map

https://gridreferencefinder.com?gr=SN86 ... r&labels=1
Now that is a work of art.
Thanks
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Nice work Andy. I noticed if you scroll down, you can also get them on an OS map :-bd
JohnClimber wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:32 am 3) SN 841808 - Thenorthwind + £10 extra for the rain guage nearby
Surprised Reg hasn't commented on my little extra, though it's not outside t' town 'all :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

:smile:

barney

Post by barney »

Just hope you have time to make use of the facilities at mine Stu. 😉
Wait for me...
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

So who's plotted Stuart an easy loop around these GR's?

What's the stats say?
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

With everything going on at the moment, Scotland closing up and it appears Wales is following that too (who knows what Boris will say at 8pm...), I’m more than happy if Stu wants to postpone this event until things calm down (not that he needs permission from me but thought I’d put it out there)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

With everything going on at the moment, Scotland closing up and it appears Wales is following that too (who knows what Boris will say at 8pm...), I’m more than happy if Stu wants to postpone this event until things calm down (not that he needs permission from me but thought I’d put it out there)
That is my plan Simon. There's little chance the route can be done returning home each night and will likely require 2 nights out :wink:
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Did I miss this? I was absent from BB for a few weeks so might've missed it, the main thing is I owe somebody some money if it did happen