Time to get revenge on Stuart

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: Time to get revenge on Stuart

Post by RIP »

thenorthwind wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:53 pm
RIP wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:48 pm I guess "nice" is somewhat subjective, but at least mine are mainly pretty much at sea-level so at least that'll make a change from all the ones on the roof of the world....
Yeah, but what if they're all in between the "roof of the world" ones on the horizontal plane... /\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Knew you'd suggest that :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
benp1

Post by benp1 »

RIP wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:48 pm I liked yours Ben - a funny little track that is! And Bob yours is even weirder - a bridleway marooned on its own with no way of reaching it by Bike-RoW or am I missing summat?!
I’m intrigued now, perhaps after it’s all done I’d love to see who picked what and where it is. Might make for an interesting checklist for future rides
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

benp1 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:13 pm
RIP wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:48 pm I liked yours Ben - a funny little track that is! And Bob yours is even weirder - a bridleway marooned on its own with no way of reaching it by Bike-RoW or am I missing summat?!
I’m intrigued now, perhaps after it’s all done I’d love to see who picked what and where it is. Might make for an interesting checklist for future rides
The Grid Refs and the names will be mine and Reg's Christmas present to you all and we'll be posting it up on Christmas Eve for you all to have a look at
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

RIP wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:48 pm
I liked yours Ben - a funny little track that is! And Bob yours is even weirder - a bridleway marooned on its own with no way of reaching it by Bike-RoW or am I missing summat?!
It's legal and there's a legal way to it. We rode it last year
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
RIP

Post by RIP »

My map must be out of date then :wink:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Plug the GR into Streetmap and you'll see that the public road meets the BW about 500m to the north. The chap in the house even directed us through his garden as it was easier than following the official line :-bd On the other side we just road round the forest track to get back to the valley.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

a "nice" 3 day C shaped ride
Are L, I, N and T being saved for future editions?
RIP

Post by RIP »

:lol:

RIP

Post by RIP »

Actually that wasn't quite the word I was thinking of :grin: .

PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Try squinting and you'll see it.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Stop encouraging me! :grin:

Anyway, Eastwood's a great actor.... :wink:

(PS. Bet it's good to be back in the saddle.. take it steady..)

PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

It will be, even if the maiden voyage will probably be just a trip down to the post office
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Well that was a fantastic morning's entertainment plotting 6 GRs for young Mr Wright's weekend of epicness.

Chraliecress - damn you, that was MINE ! But it inspired me on to another place.

Shutuplegs has ensured that Stu will need to pack plenty of food and the rest of you are just plain mean.

If you manage all of those Stu I will ensure that you are amply rewarded. I would be more than happy to accompany you with a Go Pro.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
RIP

Post by RIP »

Dave Barter wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:48 pm If you manage all of those Stu
Now you've seen 'em all and added yours d'you reckon it's still do-able albeit challenging? It seemed alright so far, although the SE one is a bit of an outlier. It's more fun if there's a vague chance of success :smile: .

I believe Bob might be making a minor adjustment (although I like the unreachable BW ploy!) then we're all set.

I'm sorting out a couple of bits and bobs to help Stu on his way :smile: .

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Reg, If you think the UrBW is too much then my suggested correction/what it should have been in the first place, should be fine.
RIP

Post by RIP »

I like the strange BW :). Could just give Stu the choice of either for a bit of fun :)

Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Dave Barter wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:48 pm Chraliecress - damn you, that was MINE ! But it inspired me on to another place.
Sorry, but I couldn’t resist. Thought there might be some demand for that one from the class of 2014. :grin:
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

All of the Grid refs are in.
If Stuart get to them all (he has 3 days if required) with a couple of bonus points to get.
We/He will raise £250 for - Shelter 50% and 50% to www.thewallich.com :-bd

Anyone else who wants to chip in with donations or ideas on how we can raise more without Stuart doing any more miles all suggestions are welcome.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

I once met a squaddy in the Lake District carrying a washing machine on his back for charity ......
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Shewie wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:42 am I once met a squaddy in the Lake District carrying a washing machine on his back for charity ......
By the sound of it stu might be carrying a bike on his back for charity. 😂😆
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Last edited by Dave Barter on Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

JohnClimber wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:49 pm All of the Grid refs are in.
If Stuart get to them all (he has 3 days if required) with a couple of bonus points to get.
We/He will raise £250 for - Shelter 50% and 50% to www.thewallich.com :-bd

Anyone else who wants to chip in with donations or ideas on how we can raise more without Stuart doing any more miles all suggestions are welcome.
How about I give Stu my SPOT. Current donors get access for free. Non donors can pay a small fee for the link?
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Mr B, that is a cracking idea!
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

It's been mentioned before and I still think a Just Giving page could be worth it. I suspect Stu's attempt is going to get more or as much attention as the BB200. Just imagine if sweary-Dave does a livecast from a follow-along ride :grin:

You only need to get in the habit of including the JG link and people can just stick whatever they feel like onto it. I know I'm not everybody but the ease of going from "oh that looks like a good thing" via a few clicks to donating makes it much more likely to happen, and if you want to max contributions to charity that is a good thing. In this day and age the less time and effort anyone has to put in between idea and action is worthwhile.

Sorry too bang on about it :cool: As I'm not doing it I hold no claim and am just looking to convince you about something I think is a good idea if someone else does it :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Cheers for the ideas Monkey - appreciated.

Been thinking about it in the background. Vaguely thought we could channel through one Boner so that it would be a nice big visible "Donation From Boners Event" for the charity to receive (like Stu does for WE/WRT), but that doesn't really make it easy to keep adding stragglers afterwards and there is a, albeit small, "security" issue.

We could do JG but if there's a way of avoiding the 5% charge that would be good. JG is often used for "personal" challenges rather than direct to existing charities and is good for that of course.

However both TheWallich and Shelter have their own direct donations pages which are just as easy to use and have nothing creamed off, so I'd suggest we just give people those links? Also, while people are on their pages they can read up about what the charities do.

And here they are:

The Wallich: https://thewallich.com/donate/one-off-donation/ - just one click and there's a tickbox for Gift Aid

Shelter: https://england.shelter.org.uk/donate - also just one click with Gift Aid.

People can choose one or the other or split across both. Personally I'm going to give all my contribution to The Wallich because it's local to Stu so I'm "putting something back" into the area, and it's a smaller outfit.

We can easily tot up the collective donation afterwards and I can contact both charities to tell them the grand total and maybe do a "write-up" for them with some photos from Stu. I've already told them what we're up to. Or everyone could prefix their name with "BBB" on the donation form.

Very happy to continue discussing the options, but I guess the key is to get the most money to the charities.

'Reg'