Time to get revenge on Stuart

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: Time to get revenge on Stuart

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

with some photos (please Stu)
Pretty much a given Reg. I was also thinking I might take a bit of phone video* and piece it together ... think Blair Witch rather than Star Wars.

Just sat outside mixing some cement and I was thinking (odd really, as I do most of my thinking while up ladders) just how many really horrible bits there are but a stones throw from the Towers ... some I've vowed never to visit again and some I've omitted from any BB200 route on account of just how bad they are :-bd

*given the amount of swearing it's likely to contain, it'll probably be of little use outside of this place. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:57 am Just sat outside mixing some cement and I was thinking (odd really, as I do most of my thinking while up ladders) just how many really horrible bits there are but a stones throw from the Towers ... some I've vowed never to visit again and some I've omitted from any BB200 route on account of just how bad they are :-bd
I believe I and one or two others might have asked you about a couple of them.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Simpler option for the funding might be for us to just pay it straight to the charity? They can claim the gift aid and there are no middleman fees
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:57 am
with some photos (please Stu)
Pretty much a given Reg. I was also thinking I might take a bit of phone video* and piece it together ... think Blair Witch rather than Star Wars.

Just sat outside mixing some cement and I was thinking (odd really, as I do most of my thinking while up ladders) just how many really horrible bits there are but a stones throw from the Towers ... some I've vowed never to visit again and some I've omitted from any BB200 route on account of just how bad they are :-bd

*given the amount of swearing it's likely to contain, it'll probably be of little use outside of this place. :wink:
Any more info on those :grin:

I've already chosen my point but Dave would love to know I'm sure
RIP

Post by RIP »

benp1 wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:18 pm Simpler option for the funding might be for us to just pay it straight to the charity? They can claim the gift aid and there are no middleman fees
I'll give them a buzz and see what's what....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Sorry Reg, wasn't trying to create more work. Just thought the direct approach might be lower admin. I trust your integrity, I mean you use two fleeces at the same time, how could I not?
RIP

Post by RIP »

No problem at all Ben, am happy to put the legwork in to maximise the benefit to the charities. I might sell a fleece and add the proceeds :wink: .

Have spoken with Shelter (and awaiting reply from TheWallich) and they highlighted a Gift Aid issue which I'd anticipated, which I shan't air Here. Will have a word with a few people about how best to proceed.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

RIP wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:47 am
In Reverse wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:32 am What's stopping us using a JustGiving or similar which has the mechanics to do Gift Aid built in?
If I was setting it up, the only thing stopping us would be rank incompetence :smile: .

I quite like the direct contact approach, hello Charity, here's the backstory, bit of a natter, with some photos (please Stu), and here's some dosh.

Dunno. Maybe you're right Andy.

Ah, "minus our small charges" (*), so yes personally I prefer going direct. Admittedly there's the security issue of funneling the funds through some random Boner off the internet...

(*) edit: "5%. We have done away with a 5% fee taken from the donation, instead we are now asking donors to add a small tip on top of their donation to keep us running and improving".......
My understanding is you don't have to give them any money at all.

Even if it's a few percent you can offset that against the 20% (or more) Gift Aid that's then sorted between them and HMRC so it's well covered.

On the personal aspect - I've done this in the past and the charity got in touch afterwards to personally thank me and invite me to a couple of plush London fundraising dinners (couldn't go to either of them :cry: )

The advantage with a JustGiving page or similar is you can set the link free into the wider world via social media etc which would no doubt bring quite a bt of extra cash in.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Cheers Andy, some good points there, have added to thoughts and mulling over.

I like the sound of the dinner :wink: .

barney

Post by barney »

JohnClimber wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:33 pm Stuart you must have upset a lot of riders over the years.

Of the GR's that I've got in already, which Reg and I are having a right laugh at plotting them on an over view map....

Only Sean (tobasco) should be kept on your Christmas Card list this year.

The rest I think hate you :lol: :lol: :lol:

Get some hill training in before January :o

1) JohnClimber
2) Dave Barter
3) Thenorthwind
4) Whitestone - GR messaged to JohnClimber
5) Ton - GR messaged to JohnClimber

6) RIP
7) Charliecres - GR messaged to JohnClimber
8) benp1
9) In Reverse - GR messaged to JohnClimber
10) Cheeky Monkey
11) Shutuplegs - GR messaged to JohnClimber
12) voodoo_simon - GR messaged to JohnClimber

13) Shewie
14) tobasco - GR messaged to JohnClimber
15) Barney - GR messaged to JohnClimber
16) Dave Barter
17) Dave Barter
18) Dave Barter
19) Dave Barter
20) Dave Barter
I've been a tad kind, I just want you to remember that Stu! :wink:
Wait for me...
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

barney wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:37 pm I've been a tad kind, I just want you to remember that Stu! :wink:
A "tad" kind????

That's an understatement, even I could do that one mate.
The only issue will be if the cafe is open or close when Stuart arrives in the village - Too many clues
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Just Cheeky Monley and Thenorthwind to get me their GR's before Reg puts his on and them Dave can fill in the gaps with pure evil :oops:

The only thing is that I can say......... Stuart.... THIS WAS YOUR IDEA..... not mine :grin:

PS my GR is the closest to Bear Bones Towers so far
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:17 amAye.
I take it by the "Aye" that you want in Cheeky Monkey.

Just you left now to message me your Grid Ref of doom for Stuart, before Dave Barter can have several weeks of map studying to put the final nails in the coffin.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Escape Goat wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:26 pm Ah don't piss him off too much, the 2022 200 route will be a bitch!
2021, 2022, 2023, 2024 and beyond will be evil looking at the Grid Refs so far. That's before Dave Barter gets his hands on it
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

JohnClimber wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:59 pm
Cheeky Monkey wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:17 amAye.
I take it by the "Aye" that you want in Cheeky Monkey.

Just you left now to message me your Grid Ref of doom for Stuart, before Dave Barter can have several weeks of map studying to put the final nails in the coffin.
Will aim to sort it today.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Have PM'd you John.

I hope the weather is clear and Stu gets a nice view :cool:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It'll no doubt be like it was today, windy, low cloud and a lovely hint of drizzle :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Ah well ...... :wink:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:06 pm
It'll no doubt be like it was today, windy, low cloud and a lovely hint of drizzle :-bd
Wouldn't worry about that Stu, you won't be going anywhere scenic :grin:
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

thenorthwind wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:12 pm Wouldn't worry about that Stu, you won't be going anywhere scenic :grin:
Oh I wouldn't say that, Stuart has said that Reg can have 4 more Grid Ref's, as Reg promised that they would be nice ones.

I've just plotted all of them (Dave Barter now has the 18GR's (I hope Dee can't hack the forums messages between members :shock: ) the current ones to date are forming a "nice" 3 day C shaped ride round Bear Bones Towers.

Once I have all of the GR's I will be hanging on to them until Christmas Eve.
On that day I will message them to Stuart, but I will also put them on the forum so you can all plot your own routes on Christmas Day then on Boxing Day you can plot your dream/nightmare route as if you were riding them all instead of Stuart.

24 GR's plus a double tenner from thenorthwind at a tenner each. Stuart has a potential £250 to earn for the homeless charities.

Maybe some others of you who didn't get the chance to put in a grid ref may fancy donating a little bit of your Christmas money to the homeless charities that Stuart is riding for. But I'll ask again nearer/during/after the event. :-bd
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

JohnClimber wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:35 pm 24 GR's plus a double tenner from thenorthwind at a tenner each. Stuart has a potential £250 to earn for the homeless charities.
A couple of people have pledged extra if he gets to all of them I think... or is that not a realistic possibility? :lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

JohnClimber wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:35 pm
thenorthwind wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:12 pm Wouldn't worry about that Stu, you won't be going anywhere scenic :grin:
Oh I wouldn't say that, Stuart has said that Reg can have 4 more Grid Ref's, as Reg promised that they would be nice ones.

...the current ones to date are forming a "nice" 3 day C shaped ride round Bear Bones Towers.
Top work JC. It's looking good! It's going to be really interesting to see what Stu makes of it all. Even though he knows the place inside out maybe there's the odd surprise waiting :smile: .

I guess "nice" is somewhat subjective, but at least mine are mainly pretty much at sea-level so at least that'll make a change from all the ones on the roof of the world....

I liked yours Ben - a funny little track that is! And Bob yours is even weirder - a bridleway marooned on its own with no way of reaching it by Bike-RoW or am I missing summat?!

RIP

Post by RIP »

thenorthwind wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:47 pm realistic
An interesting choice of word. This is BBB :smile: .
Last edited by RIP on Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

thenorthwind wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:47 pm or is that not a realistic possibility? :lol:
He's not got a hope in hell :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

JohnClimber wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:49 pm
thenorthwind wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:47 pm or is that not a realistic possibility? :lol:
He's not got a hope in hell :wink:
Gauntlet thrown :-bd

thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

RIP wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:48 pm I guess "nice" is somewhat subjective, but at least mine are mainly pretty much at sea-level so at least that'll make a change from all the ones on the roof of the world....
Yeah, but what if they're all in between the "roof of the world" ones on the horizontal plane... /\/\/\/\/\/\/\