Brand X Ascend dropper

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ChrisS

Brand X Ascend dropper

Post by ChrisS »

Anyone used a Brand X Ascend dropper with a seatbag attached? Did it work ok? Looking at the one with 125mm of drop. Thanks :grin:
sean_iow

Re: Brand X Ascend dropper

Post by sean_iow »

I have, it worked fine. I didn't have much in the seatpack but I would imagine it would still work ok with more weight..

I used a Karl designed adapter to protect the post. What size post do you need? Mine might be for sale, hardly used. I fitted a normal post for the CL and LTL and having now ridden the bike for a longer distance I think I need to use a layback post to take the weight off my hands as they are still numb from September.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

Cheers Sean, good to know. I need the 30.9mm version, 125mm of drop and internally routed. If that's what you've got I could be interested if you're selling.
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

Cheers Sean, good to know. I need the 30.9mm version, 125mm of drop and internally routed. If that's what you've got I could be interested if you're selling.

What seatbag have you got on there? MYOG?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Mines a 31.6, external routing. I didn't know they did and internal, but my frame's not drilled anyway. I like the way their cable is fixed at the base of the post and doesn't go up and down with the post, makes routing much easier.

My seatbag is a myog, but most seatbags are a similar size/shape. I also have an Apadura and I'm sure it would also work on the post.
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

sean_iow wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:56 am Mines a 31.6, external routing. I didn't know they did and internal, but my frame's not drilled anyway. I like the way their cable is fixed at the base of the post and doesn't go up and down with the post, makes routing much easier.

My seatbag is a myog, but most seatbags are a similar size/shape. I also have an Apadura and I'm sure it would also work on the post.
No worries. I have a Wildcat seatbag, but not sure that will work with a dropper as the strap that attaches to the seatpost is a fair way below the saddle.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I carried too much weight in my seatpack (cooking stuff etc) and it didn't wanna fully extend back up. I had as much air pressure (about 270psi I think) as my RS pump could squeeze in there after the service....
FLV

Post by FLV »

I have used one, no issues. With an Apidura dropper compatible frame pack. (light kit in it only for stability of the pack)

on a 31,6 I used a valais
on a 30.9 I used a piece of inner tube taped in place and just took care not to lower it into the seal.

With the wildcat bag, which I also have, you'd have to cover the whole post and just not use it as a dropper. You might get 30mm or so of drop I guess. I can do a trial fit if you want, see how it sits, before you splash the cash?

*Also.
If my KM frame sells, I will be selling the dropper. But only if the frame sells. Should I PM you if it goes soon?
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:07 pm I carried too much weight in my seatpack (cooking stuff etc) and it didn't wanna fully extend back up. I had as much air pressure (about 270psi I think) as my RS pump could squeeze in there after the service....
Yeah, I used to cram all sorts in my seat bag, but I can't stand the sway so try to keep it to 5-6l of clothing now.
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

FLV wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:12 pm I have used one, no issues. With an Apidura dropper compatible frame pack. (light kit in it only for stability of the pack)

on a 31,6 I used a valais
on a 30.9 I used a piece of inner tube taped in place and just took care not to lower it into the seal.

With the wildcat bag, which I also have, you'd have to cover the whole post and just not use it as a dropper. You might get 30mm or so of drop I guess. I can do a trial fit if you want, see how it sits, before you splash the cash?

*Also.
If my KM frame sells, I will be selling the dropper. But only if the frame sells. Should I PM you if it goes soon?
Yes please on the dropper, drop me a line if it you're going to sell it.

On the seatpost bag, I'm fully expecting to need a new bag so don't worry about the trial fit. Thanks for the offer though :-bd

The Apidura dropper post bag is high on my list - how do you find it? Is it waterproof?
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

sean_iow wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:13 am I think I need to use a layback post to take the weight off my hands as they are still numb from September.
Won't a layback post make that problem worse?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

In Reverse wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:32 pm Won't a layback post make that problem worse?
I used to think that, but I'm moving my weight back compared to BB. If you sit on the edge of a chair, put your arms straight out in front of you and also your legs, you stay balanced. Try it with your legs tucked under the chair and you fall forwards. Moving the seat back effectively moves my legs forward.

I measured the Spearfish and the Selma and the Spearfish saddle is 20mm further forward towards the BB than the Selma. Having stopped riding it for the last 2 weeks and riding the Selma instead my fingers are less lingley. It should have been obvious really as I fitted a layback post to the Selma last winter for the same reason #-O
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

sean_iow wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:40 pm
I used to think that, but I'm moving my weight back compared to BB. If you sit on the edge of a chair, put your arms straight out in front of you and also your legs, you stay balanced. Try it with your legs tucked under the chair and you fall forwards. Moving the seat back effectively moves my legs forward.
Sounds more like you need to move the pedals to the front wheel mate?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

In Reverse wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:55 pm Sounds more like you need to move the pedals to the front wheel mate?
:grin: I was getting quite worried about my hands, the loss of feeling in my fingers meant I was in danger of dropping my beer, that's when I knew it was serious :grin:
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I've used a BX Ascend dropper with my Alpkit seatpack with no issues. I use a length of pipe lagging round it to protect the slidey bit from the straps which also gives a soft stop limit when I drop the post. I just drop it until my seatpack hits my rear mudhugger and it works great. I really rate BX droppers, I've just swapped my 125mm drop for a 150 on my fat bike after 3 years use. It has a little bit of play but is still fine and will be going on wifey's ebike. I also have one on my big hit bike as well. I rate them above the RS Reverb that I also own.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I'm pretty sure the dropper on my Cube Nutrail is a Brand X clone. I've used it loads with a big Revelate seatpack on and never had any issues. I use a bit of pipe lagging around it before doing up the seatpack strap.
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

Thanks @Jurassic and @Scotroutes.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:39 pm I'm pretty sure the dropper on my Cube Nutrail is a Brand X clone.
I think a few companies sell them rebranded to their own particular make. My Orbea Rallon came with a Race Face Aeffect dropper which was identical to the BX Ascend. It was a 125mm drop so I swapped it for a BX Ascend 150mm immediately.