The sense of excitement.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

The sense of excitement.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Watching the History of UK Mountain biking film earlier made me recall the real sense of excitement I experienced when I first started riding. Those few hours after work no matter what the weather, a Sunday morning before the walkers arrived in the hills or simply dicking about in the woods ... every minute was a pleasure. Looking back, it's something that stayed with me a good few years but now I can't help thinking that some of that excitement has gone.

I've no idea why and really it doesn't matter because things change over time and that's how it's meant to be but does anyone else remember just how exciting it was :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
tobasco

Re: The sense of excitement.

Post by tobasco »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:50 pm I've no idea why and really it doesn't matter because things change over time
That’s life. A few years ago I got nattering to a bunch of 80+ yr olds in a cafe in the Hebrides, and mentioned my desire to bivy on St Kilda. They advised I did it whilst I could be bothered. I didn’t get it at the time, but as the years have passed I’ve noticed the candle burning a little less brightly.
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

I think that the expression " Youth is wasted on the young" makes more sense as the years pass by!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Funnily enough this crossed my mind the other day as I was riding along a road near here. I get it quite often - a smell, a view or a thought triggers memories of the early days of my mountainbiking (87-91) The bikes - spesh rock hoppers, muddy foxes, saracens, raleigh mavericks and Avantis, early marins and konas plus a few exotic ones - overbury's, denton, yates, roberts - all had that look - skinny tubes and big tyres (well they seemed big back then) the places - Hamsterley forest, Yorkshire dales, the lakes. I guess I was going through the whole teenager thing as well (And seeking maximum escapism from school) but it was hugely exciting - being on the crest of the new wave, reading the early mags, the first bike race and suddenly seeing hundreds of these new bikes (and it being totally laid back) and just the joy of being able to ride a bike off road up and down big hills.
I defo still get it
:-bd
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

I might need to force myself out of the house a bit more than I used to when I was a teenager but the joy in riding a bike has never subsided. The euphoria felt when everything is perfect is something I only otherwise experience when I've consumed a LOT of recreational drugs :-bd
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Two things
1) whilst not everytime i ride - I do commute to work for example- I could still just scream whoosh on a bike and make motorbike noises - its a lot quieter than in my youth but it is still there

2) I really need to go for a ride with In Reverse - probably a short one with a good camping spot :smile:
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

I DEFINITELY need to meet up with In Reverse :lol:
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

As I sit here in bed pondering stu’s post a few things come to mind about my early mountain biking; much of which I am trying to replicate now, and why bikepacking appeals.
So, in no particular order.

Bikes were simple and underspecced for the riding we were doing.
My first “proper” had rubbish suspension forks, a stem longer than my road bike, and none of this fancy progressive geometry.
But it didn’t matter, we ((me and my friends)) rode our bikes to get out.
There was no social media, no Strava, no need to “shred”, just riding for the sake of it.
Marketing people hadn’t yet caught on, it was simple, a group of friends riding.

I was attracted to a gravel bike for the simplicity; though in hindsight was maybe a little too simple.
My next bike will hopefully be an epic EVO, yes, a full sus, but one with limited travel where one has to pick a line.

I pretty much stopped caring about social media and strava.

My view on bikepacking has changed.
I always liked the get out and ride simplicity. And stu has gone a long way to making boners all inclusive; there are no rules or expectations, ride the bike you have, wear what you want, don’t talk marketing boll0cks.

I used to ride the ultra distance events, the challenge I suppose.
Then I started riding with a particular friend, we would not ride far per day on our multiday adventures; however, it was enjoyable.
We’d stop to look at the view, pitch the tent early somewhere nice, enjoy the ride.
Next year, if we do the HT550, we won’t race, we’ll take two weeks.
There will be no dot to watch, we won’t be posting videos on social media, photos will be for our memories.
It took me full circle back to childhood; riding to be outside with a friend.

My point, maybe the outdoor industry is to blame; it has removed the joy of “being” because “being” isn’t “rad” enough.