Riding with a camera

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BobCatMax

Riding with a camera

Post by BobCatMax »

I've put up the question on a couple of Facebook posts, and I thought I'd ask here too..

Do any of you gents and ladies ride with a DSLR?

I have a little Sony compact, but it's no rx100 and I've just dipped my toe into the big boy camera world with a bottom end of the spectrum nikon D3300. I'm thoroughly enjoying the results of the nikon and want to take it out in rides with me. I was wondering how those of you that do, do?

Cheers
Image Image
woodsmith

Re: Riding with a camera

Post by woodsmith »

Don't have a DSLR myself but the guys on Bikepacking.co seem to like a bum bag/ fanny pack for camera carrying
ballibeg

Post by ballibeg »

This guy does.

https://youtu.be/vhNIUZqdIuo

Dave
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I carried my DSLR around with me for many years. I made a short strap with a buckle in to go between the camera shoulder strap and my belt/belt loop. This kept it in place, either on my back or under my chest/stomach depending on preference. Worked reasonably well.

When I bought a mirrorless camera a couple of years ago, I also bought a Peak Designs Capture Clip, which is a quick release plate that bolts into your tripod mount, and clips into a plate that can be attached to a rucksack strap. It seems obscenely expensive for what it is, but IMO it's well worth it. It's such a useful thing - the camera is right where you need it, but it's easily accessible. I've ridden really techy stuff and it's never come loose. A pro MTB photographer I know uses one as well.

Having been impressed with that, I bought the Rain Shell from the same company, which I'd also recommend.

Edit: I think @Richpips has experimented with camera-carrying too.

Oh also, the Capture obviously only works if you've got something to attach it to - a rucksack strap ideally, though I've also used it on a hip pack. Recently though I've used my Restrap Tech Bag for the mirrorless camera on road rides without a rucksack. Wouldn't fit a DSLR unless they do a bigger version though.
Last edited by thenorthwind on Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

@ballibeg ta!

@northwind I've been looking at an American company that produces a clip that attaches to a harness or belt or shoulder strap with something similar to what you describe. There are some interesting solutions out there for sure
Image Image
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

It depends on how much you value your camera and lenses. When you crash with a camera on board it is often quite costly.

For work in the past I've always riddent with DSLR and a few lenses in a bag on my back (F-stop usually). Easiest to get ahead of riders/runners and get set up to take images. I've never been one for getting people to pose.

For personal I've TOURED with a full frame mirrorless on the bars in a Porcelain Rocket bag designed for carrying cameras. They no longer make it IIRC. It's ok for actual MTB bikepacking, but when you get onto interesting terrain it's a liability.

For more rowdy riding with mates, FF-in small bag on my back. I want to keep the mass off my bars.

For the TDR my RX-100 was shoved in a feed bag with snacks on my bars. It got soaked. COvered in goo. Only destroyed 4 years later by a 3 year old.

Tried sling combos - they were all poor show.
Tried using a Peak Designs clip - again poor show for the purpose of having a stable camera when riding.
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

Thank you Greg, I feel like I can trust your opinion on this sort of thing! I'll take all that on board
Image Image
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I guess it's quite a personal thing :wink:
Matt C

Post by Matt C »

I've been carrying big cameras on bikes and up mountains for years, though I have pretty much stopped carrying an SLR anywhere now mirrorless cameras have got so good.

Quick access was always the number one priority for me, so I usually strapped a case (CCS Warthog in the photo below , but I have a number of Lowe Pro cases that also worked well for this) to my rucksack straps. A couple of mini karabiners held it on well. Now everyone will shout about this being dangerous to you or the kit in a crash but I must have done thousands of miles off road over the years and despite a few decent crashes I've never had an issue. Being between your arms you can cradle it a bit which protects it. A well padded case like the CCS also stops the camera hurting you - but do your own risk assessment.

I also have a couple of solid outdoor oriented camera bags, with the F-stop range being probably the best for climbing/carrying a lot of kit in the hills. Never really got on with them for riding though as it takes too long to stop and get kit out (works better for climbing which is more stop/start). For most purposes wrapping spare lens/flash in a jumper and sticking it in your camelbak is fine.

Now if I carry a camera at all (not doing it for money anymore so I often don't bother) I carry a Sony Mirrorless which fits in a small tank bag or the top of my camelbak. I do like the look of the Peak clips though. I've had one in my Amazon shipping basket for ages waiting for me to feel justified in spending the wodge on it...

Supernova

Post by Supernova »

I loved the CCS kit.

Started using them in the 80’s, it’s a pity no one produces simple padded holsters like that any more.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Only destroyed 4 years later by a 3 year old.
Trust me, their ability to destroy is never lost. Plus they throw in emotional destruction as they get older.

Kids, love em ;-)
Matt C

Post by Matt C »

Supernova wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:11 pm I loved the CCS kit.

Started using them in the 80’s, it’s a pity no one produces simple padded holsters like that any more.
Yeah, progress is not always for the better :wink: The Lowe Pro cases and similar things I've picked up over the years are fine and I like the built in rain guards and little pockets they all have nowdays, but haven't seen anything anywhere near as robust or with as much padding as the old CCS kit...
Supernova

Post by Supernova »

About 10 years ago I bought all the CCS kit I could find on eBay, but it was too small for the DSLRs I was using at the time, even when I cut the lining out and replaced it with thinner foam.

Ironically it’d be perfect for the mirrorless kit I’m slowly swapping over to now.