Mudguards

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Boab

Mudguards

Post by Boab »

I'm looking to buy a pair of full length mudguards for the rest of the winter. Can't decide to splurge on something like the SKS Edge AL, or get something cheaper like the M:Part Primoplastics. Any advantages to spending a bit more money...?
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Lazarus

Re: Mudguards

Post by Lazarus »

I have never owned expensive ones and the only mudguards I have ever broken were due to storing by the front wheel and I eventually cracked the back one as it was on the ground - this was my fault and it still took about 4 years to go

I am not really sure what the advanatge would be to expensie plastic over cheap plastic and what really matters is how wel l they mount
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

You might get better quality fixings and slightly improved durability.
That said, I had a more expensive set last year and they rattled within a few thousand KM.

Those SKS guards look very nice mind, I am tempted myself!
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Cheap ones, but with a blob of silicone sealant or hot glue over any points where a rattle could occur works well for me. I've had SKS in the past and they were fine, but I don't think there was much noticeable improvement over the current "cheap from planet-x" ones
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

This M part ones actually look OK. I use SKS thermoplastics or SKS bluemels (there is little difference in price or quality between these) I'd avoid the alloy ones as they will bend and get mangled in a crash whereas the thermoplastic ones seem very good at shrugging such things off. The pop rivets corrode to nothing after a few years but easy enough to replace.
faustus

Post by faustus »

The edge ones are aluminium and less wobbly than bluemels. I have some 56mm ones on my town bike and they are much stiffer, and much easier to fit and adjust too.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

SKS Blumels for me. I've had multiple pairs on different bikes over the years and never had any issues. The current ones are 700x53 on my gravel bike and have withstood lots of rattly offroad stuff without actually rattling themselves.
DickieH

Post by DickieH »

I have the Edge AL. They are great compared to the previous plastic SKS. Easy to fit, robust, look good, and I'm sure a tad more clearance.
larsmars

Post by larsmars »

The SKS full length mudguards are very good with coverage, but they can be a bit fiddly to install, requiring a hacksaw, drill and adjustable wrench and patience. But once setup, I've found them pretty solid on my winter/commuter bike. However, when taking it offroad in mud and leaves, it's pretty easy to get all bunged up quite quickly due to the tight clearances required to achieve good spray protection. That is the compromise: spray protection vs mud clearance.

I have Mudhuggers on my hardtail and recently tried the 'gravel specific' version :roll: on my Warbird, but the coverage is really lacking IMO. All these really do is protect your eyes and perhaps some of your bum.

I've just ordered the SKS Speedrockers last week and looking to give these a try. They're designed to provide pretty decent full coverage, yet more clearance to avoid getting clogged. And they are more easily removable (no zip ties), which is a plus for a multipurpose bike. Will report back once I've tried them.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Thanks all! While the Edge AL do look nicer, penny pinching has won out, and I've gone for the M:Part ones. We'll see how we get on...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.