Bivi bag & sleeping bag...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jay91

Bivi bag & sleeping bag...

Post by jay91 »

Hi just wondering what bags your using? just looking at getting into bike packing would like some advice on cheapish bivi bags and sleeping bags.
Trying to ride bikes.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Bivi bag & sleeping bag...

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Bivvy bag - I'll suggest 3, AlpKit Hunka, RAB Storm and Borah Gear. All fine but all different, should be something to suit.

Sleeping bag - Have you got a budget in mind ?
May the bridges you burn light your way
olly

Post by olly »

Hello Jay.

Very glad to hear you've decided to try a bit of bivvy biking - the more the merrier.

I went through this conundrum when I started out, and now I seem to go through it every couple of years trying to make my setup lighter yet still versatile.

I'm currently using the alpkit hunka bivvy bag. Works fine and is cheap. Depending on the atmospheric conditions it can get quite condensationy but I've not found a bag that doesn't do this yet. I've never got wet sleeping in some pretty poor conditions.

As for sleeping bag I've been using a vaude featherlite (£100), probably not the best choice as down can be a pain when it rains. That being said I made it through a very wet Welsh ride thing using it and it was fine. It's super light and I've slept in it well below zero and although I wouldn't say I was warm I slept through (probably owing to being completely knackered). I have heard of people buying a super lightweight down bag and a super lightweight synthetic bag and using them together in cold conditions to help with the issue of getting down wet but I've not tried it yet.

Bit of a side note but I just bought a themarest neoair xlite roll mat, super light, packs small and seems comfy enough - I'm doing trans cambrian way in a couple of weeks when I'll use it for the first time in anger.

Essay over!

Olly
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Thanks for the info olly I've being looking at the alpkit stuff it's out of stock till may I think I keep looking on eBay/etc . Would I freeze with a cheap sleeping bag just to try it out?
Trying to ride bikes.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Would I freeze with a cheap sleeping bag just to try it out?
There's a very good chance. There's also a chance that it may turn into an experience you're not in a hurry to repeat, which would be a shame.

However, there's a few factors that will effect the rate of freezing. ;)

Do you sleep cold/warm ?
Overnight site selection, in the trees, out of the wind and away from water and valley bottoms are all good.
How warm you are when you get in your bag ?
How much insulation you have beneath you? - a mat is a must IMO
How much you've eaten ?
Can you fit in your bag with your clothes on without it being too tight a squeeze ?

It's possible to buy a reasonably cheap bag that's still fairly warm but it'll be quite heavy/bulky. This has a 2 degree comfort rating (always take with a pinch of salt). With some clothes on it should keep you warm to 0 depending on the answers to the above questions.

http://www.fieldandtrek.com/karrimor-x- ... bag-781007

I do tend to believe that a sleeping bag is the one bit of kit that shouldn't be skimped on.
Firmo

Post by Firmo »

What would you choose out of:

Mountain Equipment Titan 450 (for £130)
http://www.tauntonleisure.com/mountain- ... Iw#tdesc_2

or Alpkit's SkyeHigh 600 (for £115)
http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?tar ... ory_id=253

...or something completely different, on the same budget?

I like the way that the Titan packs down lighter and smaller, and as I won't be camping in below zero (at least I don't plan to, yet), I think it should be completely adequate.
Firmo
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What would you choose out of:
SkyeHigh for me ... higher quality down (90/10 rather than 85/15)) and quite a bit more of it (600g rather than 450g). That extra few degrees in the rating may come in handy even in what passes for summer. The lower price helps too ;)
Loz394

Post by Loz394 »

Firmo wrote:What would you choose...
I have in fact just bought the SkyeHigh 600, and am also starting the bikepacking thing properly this year. Tried it out last night in the garden hanging my hammock (with airmat). The bag feels great (esp. at sale price!) but actually a bit chilly by the time it got down to -4, although in the field I'd wear an extra layer if it was that cold.

I'll really be using it in 3 seasons, so should be perfect, a 450 bag would need extra clothes I reckon in the cold, so the weight vs. comfort argument continues! Extra warmth from a bottle of Scotch is a more traditional option...
jay91

Post by jay91 »

However, there's a few factors that will effect the rate of freezing. ;)

Do you sleep cold/warm ? Warm.

How much insulation you have beneath you? - a mat is a must IMO
How much you've eaten ? Loads ;)
Can you fit in your bag with your clothes on without it being too tight a squeeze ? Yes

I've got a cheap euro hike bag atm probably rubbish
Trying to ride bikes.
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

Hi there
I've got a snugpak softie 3, not the warmest, but packs very small and light and with a silk sleeping bag liner is probably warm enough for down to 0°c
Its also synthetic so less problems if it gets wet
As for the bivi bag, the hunka really is worth waiting for, for the price its unbeatable, and even if it was twice the price it would still be worth it
Atb
Ben
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

I got a Rab Storm bivi for £48 (RRP £70) from Go Outdoors using one of their occasional vouchers - you just have to keep your eye out for the vouchers
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've just noticed that Karrimor have entered the world of bivvy bags ... cheap and looks similar to a couple of others. ;)

http://www.fieldandtrek.com/karrimor-x- ... bag-781084
jay91

Post by jay91 »

s8tannorm wrote:I've just noticed that Karrimor have entered the world of bivvy bags ... cheap and looks similar to a couple of others. ;)

Seems goo what do u think everyone?
Trying to ride bikes.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Reading the spec (and between the lines) it doesn't look like a bad buy. Karrimor seem to be really trying with the Xlite range. A good example were their air mats ... twenty odd quid and were the exact same mat as someone elses, that was double the price.
Chew

Post by Chew »

jay91 wrote:
s8tannorm wrote:I've just noticed that Karrimor have entered the world of bivvy bags ... cheap and looks similar to a couple of others. ;)

Looks very similar to a Hunka and i cant fault them for the money. At that price (and hunkas are out of stock) i'd get one.
One thing to note is these type of bivi bags are ok in light rain, but you'd probably want to twin up with a tarp if rain is forecasted
jay91

Post by jay91 »

I've being in the Lake District for a week family holiday I went in the local oxfam and found a sleeping bag for a £10 seems okay to me http://flic.kr/p/eeDohQ http://flic.kr/p/eeDogQ
Trying to ride bikes.
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Also a retro berghaus rucksack http://flic.kr/p/eexLFp for 3.99 should help me start bivvying on a budget ;)
Trying to ride bikes.
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Bump
Trying to ride bikes.
evilgoat

Post by evilgoat »

I'm also on the lookout for a lightweight budget sleeping bag.

Found Vango Ultralight 350, weighs 750 grams, packs to 18 x 16 cm. it's 48 quid at go outdoors.

it's going to be a summer bag only but with clothes and a liner I suppose it could be boosted.

Years ago I had an ultralight 1100 and it was a good bag.

Any others out there?
Chew

Post by Chew »

Personally I wouldnt be going for any bag which had a comfort rating higher than zero. Even in summer it can get cold on a night and a cold night, equals a miserable trip.

Something 3 season will make sure you're comfortable and you can boost it up to get you through the colder months. Plenty of options here:
http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... f=7&t=1967