Luxurious one person accomodation - HexPeak, Duomid

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richpips

Luxurious one person accomodation - HexPeak, Duomid

Post by Richpips »

I'm still toying with the ideal shelter for a long trip.

Weight vs Space.

I've got a number of options in the lightweight shelter. (Lofoten, F10 Helium, F10 Hydrogen, Lunar Solo, Solomid)

Tempted now to try something a bit more spacious ideal sub 1.5Kg Fast to pitch. Single pole.

Hexpeak and Duomid have caught my eye?

(Feel free to offer your cast offs) ;)
Chicken Legs

Re: Luxurious one person accomodation - HexPeak, Duomid

Post by Chicken Legs »

Big Agnes Fly Creek HV UL1 Bikepacking Version 886g

I have had this tent for over a year now and I really like it.
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

I reckon luxurious one person tent = 2 person tent.

https://www.exxpozed.co.uk/msr-carbon-r ... nt=1077752
ton

Post by ton »

i dont know how much it weighs but it fits on my handlebars easily.
i have a teepee style tent. it uses 7 pegs and 1 pole. it takes me 4 minutes to erect.

and you know how big i am, and 2 of me could fit in it easily.

it is a 2f ul something ??
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Chicken Legs wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:57 pm Big Agnes Fly Creek HV UL1 Bikepacking Version 886g

I have had this tent for over a year now and I really like it.
I've not tried that particular model, but I have the concept, and I find if the weather comes from the side then they are compromised.
Borderer wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:34 pm I reckon luxurious one person tent = 2 person tent.

https://www.exxpozed.co.uk/msr-carbon-r ... nt=1077752
Yep, looking for a two person tent I think, but not one so expensive. :lol:
ton wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:53 pm i dont know how much it weighs but it fits on my handlebars easily.
i have a teepee style tent. it uses 7 pegs and 1 pole. it takes me 4 minutes to erect.

and you know how big i am, and 2 of me could fit in it easily.

it is a 2f ul something ??
Yep something like that Tony, maybe.
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

I use a Wild Country Zephyros 2 XL UL - so an extra large, 2 man, albeit with lighter materials. It's about 1.5kg.
It's great - loads of space to get changed and sort things out etc
Gari

Post by Gari »

Locus gear Khafra maybe? I have the Khufu and really like it. Trailstar also, lot of space for not much weight, 2 poles strictly speaking but same principle :) I have the Chinese copy version, only pitched it in the garden so far but it’s huge in there! Literally the full width of my house/garden!! Sub 1kg all up(pegs/poles/guys etc)
mikehowarth

Post by mikehowarth »

Fly creek is a good lightweight tent but as you say Rich they are compromised when wind changes direction.

I wouldn’t class them as a comfortable tent, headspace is limited definitely more on the compact side.

Tarpent Double Rainbow?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Scarp?

Comes in just under the 1.5Kg. Spacious. Flexible dooring. Strong - like ox.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I have the zephyros 2xl and the scarp 1. Prefer the scarp, but it's a lot more expensive. The zephyros is a decent tent, was planning to use it if wild camping with one of the kids but haven't yet

Scarp can be put up quick but it's usy so long in between uses that it takes me longer than it should

I think my zephyros is more like 1.7kg and my scarp is around 1.5kg.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Rich, when it comes to pyramids, unless you're going to spend a lot of money then many of the offerings from China will be roomy and surprisingly light. I'll admit that I'm no great fan of Chinese products especially those that have blatantly stolen the ideas of others but in this case there'd be little to choose between them.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

I've had a dcf Solomid and Duomid and sold them both when I got my Khufu dcf-B, it's a really nice compromise between the two and the weight/room is tough to beat. I've got a Solomid Xl in sil on it's way as I prefer sil over dcf in windy weather, it's just more forgiving and a lot quieter on exposed camps, plus I need something a bit more stealthy these days than my citrus Cricket so went for an OD green one.

Also got a Hexpeak, great tent, a bit of a lump (1.3kg?) with the standard inner but it's a cosy place in cool weather, loads of floor space for wet kit and cooking if you don't mind the added condensation. Swap out the stock cord as it's crap, one of mine snapped on a rough night at Lyn Eigiau.
Fly alone it's palace, with a light bivvy bag instead of an inner it's a lot of shelter for around 660g I think. There's also the full nest inner option if you decide to go two's up anytime.
On my first outing around the Ennerdale horseshoe I used my usual trekking poles and connector, but the amount of lateral force they were getting in the odd gust made me switch to the Luxe pole, I just suck up the extra weight if the forecast looks like I'll need it.

I bought a dcf Protrail recently but only used it once (managed to stick a pole tip through the fly first pitch :sad: ) Loads of room for one but I wouldn't use it in exposed areas.

Still love my old Trailstar but the low entry ins't for everyone, if you don't mind getting wet knees or using a pad they're seriously bomber
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Thanks for the advice all, some food for thought.
polarcherry

Post by polarcherry »

MLD Supermid with 2 person MLD inner. Vast amount of space sub<1.5kg with a carbon pole and nice pegs. Bomber set up. Its our cycle touring set up of choice. Fits in a 8l bag on the handlebars and you can even store 2 bikes inside to keep them out of view when pitched and still have a decent porch to get in and out of.
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

I really appreciate my terra nova laser competition on those non bivvy nights.

1.1kg, lighter versions are available.

I'm 185 tall and there's plenty of room lying down or sitting up.

Strictly a 3 pole because of the little diddy end poles but it's stable, has a great porch and if you were very friendly could fit 2 if desperate.

You can pitch fly only. I've never done it as it looks like a right faff to separate and reconnect the inner and outer. They normally go up together and takes just a few minutes.