Chain rotation?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikerbill

Chain rotation?

Post by fatbikerbill »

For those that rotate their chains on an mtb ?

How many chains and how often?

I am thinking 2 or 3 chains and perhaps every 300 to 500 km.
ScotRoutes

Re: Chain rotation?

Post by ScotRoutes »

I have one per bike and it rotates every time I pedal.
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

Just to be clear as I think this is new to me.

Chain A - ride 500km then fit chain B
Chain B - ride 500km then fit chain C
Chain C - ride 500km then fit chain A

That/\/\ ?

Coz I don’t see the advantage over just regular cleaning/oiling/putoline and changing when worn?

Intrigued to understand the thinking.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I dabbled with this years ago. I ran three chains in rotation but found it difficult to guage how much they were wearing based solely on mileage/time in use. As I was doing it on a mountain bike I found that conditions and time of the year had a bearing as well. In the end I gave up and just reverted back to using one chain until it was gubbed and resigning myself to changing cassette and chainrings every couple of chains. To be fair it'd probably be easier to do on a road bike.
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

piemonster - yeah that is exactly what I was thinkink, though perhaps 3 chains is OTT.

I too used to do it in the old days , then fatigue set in.

I do clean the chain every ride & use squirt normally, although I have just retired it for winter slop. I find it incomaptible with this current Lancashire weather.

I have done 2500km on the current chain & cassette & it is definitely starting to feel jaded.

& what with looking at the prices of new 12 speed I just wondered if it was worth trying again.

What do people think is a good life for a chain/cassette ?
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

I find chain wear very variable and can't predict how a chain is doing - so get caught out from time to time. I don't measure miles on any of my bikes except my Tern cargo bike so am not a good judge but 2500 km doesn't seem too bad if those are off road and mucky rides.

Before lockdown for commuting I used to get through three chains a year if I wanted to keep them below the wear limit. If I let the whole lot go together I could get about a year out of the whole drive train: and that's probably about 5000 miles of mixed riding with lots of sand.

Even when using the Rohloff For the commute I have to change chains as they would wear quicker than the sprocket and chainring and go all baggy and horrid.

On my Tern GSD the chain hit the wear limit at 500 miles. But that includes load lugging and lots of hills. I have now moved to a KMC chain to see if it wears better.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I just check with one of those chain wear gauges and replace as required. It's difficult to do it based on time or mileage due to all the other variables that we discussed earlier.
numplumz

Post by numplumz »

I rotate many chains, especially in winter, think I have about six 9 speed ones hung up on a knitting needles right now.
I can see their full length for comparison quickly, and can take an active one off the bike and check how it compares quickly.
With no income I have learnt to make them last ages, off road it's usually chain suck that ends their life there but still go on the shopper/pub/tour bike after that.
Reckon I can get life out of them to 2mm wear, not efficient but I don't care.
The old git in the yellow socks
Boab

Post by Boab »

fatbikerbill wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:06 pm What do people think is a good life for a chain/cassette ?
My last chain did 5,449.0 km, my current chain has done 4,379.8km, but is getting replaced next week as it's FUBAR. The cassette has done 9,783.3km and I'm hoping will take another chain, although I do have a spare just in case.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

That does sound good going, almost what I'd expect from the road bike.

As has been said I guess it varies with conditions, terrain and how much Lancashire slop you get.