Your favourite moments?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Your favourite moments?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Now, I don't mean from specific trips but those few minutes or points throughout a trip that you tend to savour. For me and in no order it's probably ....

Sitting with the first brew of the day early on a summers morning, knowing that I'm in no rush to be anywhere in particular.

Coming across a surprise petrol station with a working brew machine on a winters night.

Taking a chance on a track and finding it's really good.

That moment when you realise that even though you've being riding for 12 hours, you could happily ride for another 12.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Cheddar Man

Re: You're favourite moments?

Post by Cheddar Man »

Putting on some trousers or a coat you haven't worn for absolutely ages, and finding a fiver in the pocket :cool:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Leaving the pub with a few like-minded Boners, in the winter, in the dark, in the pissing rain, with no idea where you're going to bivvy, but knowing that you will in fact find somewhere to kip no matter how desperate. Yes, I know, I'm a pervert.

Something, or even better someone, happening that randomly changes your plan for the better.

Any absurdity, sillyness or bizarre occurrence that makes you literally laugh out loud. Conversely, the very serious moment, a short while after you've set off, when you also laugh out loud at the simple and incredibly lucky fact that you're out there, alive, on your bike, at that moment, in that place, at that time.

Getting off the train at the start and thinking ok let's see what happens. It's infinitely more uplifting than arriving in a car/van/whatever. Not fully analysed why yet but seeing said train departing and then disappearing round a curve in the distance leaving you and your ironhorse alone on a silent country station with a hopefully unpredictable ride ahead of you has something to do with it.

A short but interesting interaction with someone you've never met before and are unlikely to meet again.

First Tunnock's of the day.
Last edited by RIP on Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:43 pm, edited 7 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

You are favourite moments?
Please clarify. Does not compute.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Borderer wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:11 pm You are favourite moments?
I'm all my favourite moments. I'm awes*me like that.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Early evening. Specifically when I've been riding all day but my legs just want to carry on, there's no fatigue and I'm riding west into a sunset. On a particular good one I'll see Tìr nan Òg on the horizon.

Waking up mid-bivvy to a crystal clear sky and a blazing milky way above.

Catching sight of a meteor.

Warm early-autumn evenings when the bog myrtle is giving out its full aroma.

Late summer harvest of blaeberries.

Nailing that particularly difficult rocky, rooty climb that almost always evades me.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Borderer wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:11 pm You are favourite moments?
Can't believe I missed that one! Your eagle-eyed you are B :smile: . Then again, Stu IS the root cause of many of my favourite moments so it's probably correct :-bd
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Bearbonesnorm

Re: Your favourite moments?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Sorry Bridget, amended and also sorry for any distress caused.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Not wanting to close your eyes because the night sky is glistening with a gazillion stars.

Watching the pre-sunrise sky change colour.

Stumbling across a shop on the Isle of Harris 10 minutes before they close and shopping like you're on Supermarket Sweep!
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
RIP

Post by RIP »

Oh, and if it's a Boner event, the moment arriving at LBM school or BBT and looking/listening around at all the other participants, at the tea/toast/cake, at the rain, at the gear, at the map, etc, and remembering to be eternally grateful that Stu and a few other loons started all this, keep the family together, and affirm that you're not alone outside the asylum looking in :smile: .

voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:42 pm
Sitting with the first brew of the day early on a summers morning, knowing that I'm in no rush to be anywhere in particular.
You see, I can’t do this. I tend to wake early whilst sleeping out* so always pack away and get riding before the sun/folk are properly up. Love that part of the day when it’s crisp and quiet :-bd

*except for my last trip out this summer with Mike :lol:

Edit - night riding in snow is always special and something that I love, even better if yoI can turn off the lights :-bd
Last edited by voodoo_simon on Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

When sitting on a bench outside a shop, looking like a tramp and striking up a chat with someone who is impressed with how far you have ridden / are planning to ride!
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Managing to ride up that track finally...

Post mucky ride, finally getting home to the shower..

Managing to make it to work with plenty of minutes to spare after having locked the bike away..

--------------

Managing to get prayers done before time runs out (this is such an achievement and relief for me every time mid-ride) and finding running water (how amazing a feeling).

Is that too many?
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

The p155 that has been held in too long and the bush that allows it freedom.

Whacking down Baby bells by the handful and not caring. Same for chocolate, jelly babies and pork pies.

Riding through valleys. Never tyre of them.

Autumn and spring light

Being ready before chickenlegs (has never happened)
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

That silence when you wake up in camp to find everything covered in six inches of snow
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Is that too many?
They're yours Shaf, so I'm sure you can have as many as you like ... although I'm slightly concerned that having a shower is near the top of your list. :wink:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Having ridden through the night that moment in the morning when you suddenly realise that it's bright enough to see without lights.

When biving locally and it gets to 2am and you realise the sound of cars in the distance has stopped and it's completely silent.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I always consider that the best days are the ones when the first items of clothing you put on in the morning are cycling shorts and shirt.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

One of those moments when it all comes together - nice weather, fine view, good trail, feeling good, having good food to eat, knowing there is more to come.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Had a few of those moments today.
Currently visiting an area I used to come to (about 1-3x/y), always for a couple of days since it's about the longest train journey from home. Takes me longer to get here than to me uncle in Glossop.
(Hi Dave)
Yet, it's been a while since my last visit.

My great grandad used to live and work here during winter in border control (he was a bit famous since he was originally German speaking, which was special back then). Some good stories in the villages to be heard from that time about smuggling coffee and tabacco, about how smugglers and officials dealt with each other... good stuff.

The biking possibilities are endless, even now with snow half way down the mountains.

A magnificient train line runs all the way through the valley, the lowest point (at the border to Italy is at 552 m.a.s.l. and goes all the way up to and over the Bernina pass, the train line's high point at 2253 m.

I was out today for a first ride to bed in brake pads on a train assisted trip on a single track I know well, but haven't ridden in what must be 10 years.
The second ride, again train assisted to gain elevation took me to some single tracks I hadn't been to before. Was lovely to sneak around steep slopes, not even knowing what to expect.
I found not just incredible views and saw wildlife, but also rode some super prime and highly varying mountain paths.
Then a tasty local beer at the bottom, a short but nice ride back to the cabin. Alone, doing whatever I feel like. Now sitting infront of it, listening to cowbells, smoking and drinking (and typing this obviously). Such moments... yeah.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

When an owl swoops down and rides shotgun in your pool of light for a few seconds.

When you find you’ve stopped without knowing why and you sense the forest’s life all around you doing it’s thing ... and you and time and purpose just disappear.

Fish and chips and Coke after 12 hours in the saddle.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

During yesterday's train ride, at the Bernina pass

The rest from today

Even just getting the beer was something to remember. A small village shop I came by by chance, wonderful interaction with three locals and the shop filled with the smell of freshly baked tuorta da nusch.

A day sparkling with good moments.
And the bike worked really well too :wink:
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:28 pm Sorry Bridget, amended and also sorry for any distress caused.
I'm recovering. Slowly. :lol:

My favourite moment: coming down off the ridgeline in northern Spain, the rich red sunset hitting the snow capped peaks across the valley. The crisp, still evening air rich with the smell of pine and tinkling with sheep bells from the flocks perched precariously on the hillside. My boy riding in front, both of us fit and healthy, happy and whole.
jameso

Post by jameso »

When someone says "yeah go on then" to the idea of that unknown hike a bike or a see-where-it-goes trail. Or asks me the same thing. Being in new places with people who have a sense of 'why not' so it's not all about the riding all the time, it's just about travel of some form. There's always a feeling of potential.

Always, every time - the first few miles really early in the morning having just packed up and had a coffee. It was a revelation on my first bikepacking trip, something quite different to leaving a BnB or a hostel early. A real sense of belonging out there and independence.

Also as others have said, golden hour light. Partly why I like being on the trail or road early.

I'm a total sucker for alpenglow too, more from trips on foot than on the bike but I'll always be up early for that. Never get bored of seeing the light changing on the mountains.
Boab

Post by Boab »

A misty, frosty morning, just as the sun is cutting through and turning everything golden.
Riding a local singletrack bridleway in Spring, as it's flanked by so much cow parsley, your riding in a sea of white froth
Being stopped in your tracks by the sheer immensity of the view
Riding alongside a hunting barn owl
The restorative power of fresh air an exercise; it may take a while, but eventually whatever is ailing you drops away and you realise that there is nothing else you'd rather be doing, no matter the weather or your physical condition.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.