ever wish you were strong enough to ride single speed ?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

FLV

Re: ever wish you were strong enough to ride single speed ?

Post by FLV »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:08 pm
I'd love a 3 speed. Even a 2 speed.
Keep getting tempted to try a sturmey hub, but I think I know how it would go...
At present, my SS is actually running a 2spd Sturmey kick-back hub. Sadly, the disc version is akin to rocking horse poo, I got mine through a friend of a friend in the US. SA in Europe had no idea what I was talking about when I asked them. Works well enough and looks just like a SS - no cables, shifters, etc.
Is it any good stu?
jameso

Post by jameso »

FLV wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:29 am Is it any good stu?
Jumping in and digressing.. FWIW I had a coater brake 2spd SRAM Automatix hub on a folding bike once. It was lovely, so clean - I took the front brake off too. Problem was the coaster was too effective with no modulation and the bike was a bit twitchy for controlling rear wheel slides :grin: it would have killed me one day.
But the Automatix system was brilliant. It used a governor mechanism that could be factory set for controlling the point it changed into the overdrive gear based on wheel RPM. So much potential in that idea I think, particularly for something like a SS MTB or a minimised tourer - hence it was too niche and SRAM discontinued it.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

jameso wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:48 am the point it changed into the overdrive gear based on wheel RPM. So much potential in that idea I think, particularly for something like a SS MTB...
I hate to be a pedant, but if you have 2 gears it's not a ss MTB :wink:

I had looked into the two speed hub when Stu did his review but decided having more than one gear would spoil what it is Iove about singlespeeding.

If you're going to have gears, have lots :smile:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Is it any good stu?
For what it is then, yes. The biggest problem is sealing issues as some SA hubs aren't known for their well sealed internals. I have seen someone machine the hubs to accept quality seals but that was on the 3 speed hubs - whether these would benefit, I've not bothered to look. What i like about these compared to the Sram is the fact that you can change gear whenever you like and it isn't based on a speed or threshold.

Quite obviously, if SS is good then having 2 in 1 must be even better :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
jameso

Post by jameso »

sean_iow wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:48 am
jameso wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:48 am the point it changed into the overdrive gear based on wheel RPM. So much potential in that idea I think, particularly for something like a SS MTB...
I hate to be a pedant, but if you have 2 gears it's not a ss MTB :wink:
A modified SS.. a still-quite-simple-no-chain-bounce-or-cleaning-needed bike ; )
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

jameso wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:35 pm A modified SS.. a still-quite-simple-no-chain-bounce-or-cleaning-needed bike ; )
I think a 2 speed disc braked gravel/adventure bike would be my ideal winter commuter. I did have a look for second hand frames that might be suitable, I thought I'd be able to find something suitable with a pf30 bb so I could use an ebb in it for a clean look.

The way people used to moan about all bikes having pf bb's I thought there would be 100s of frames on eBay dirt cheap to get rid of them, but I've not found anything that I like/can afford.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

JohnClimber wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:25 pm Don't give up on Rohloff until you've ridden an MTB with one as well.
Ever ridden one on a full susser on bumpy tracks?

Half of my bikes are single speeders. I ride ssp everyday, traversed Iceland's interior 4 x and been up to a few high alpine summits where I met other folks with crampons and iceaxes.
Some of the mountain paths I like to ride go straight up and come down the same way. No matter what gears or how many, it's often stuff only rideable downhill, even for very, very good bike handlers. Since you're carrying the bike up, one only needs the right gear for the pedal kicks on the way down.

It took me a while to get used to the way of riding and find the right technique snd develop the power and endurance to ride stood up for a while and with that, it's surely better to start with short trips.
There is more force on the joints when grinding uphill, so one should slowly grow into it.
htrider wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:08 pm In particular on nadgery, techy, rocky downhills its brilliant - no chain flapping around and you do notice the lack of weight on the back end. (for this reason I'd never contemplate a rohloff on a mountainbike). As you are moving around the bike a lot more plus standing up, sitting down, pedaling fast, pedaling slow, walking, freewheeling a lot; it (seems) to be much better for your (well my) body.
This.
The light rear wheel makes quite the difference.

Also pulling the cr@p out of the handlebar on a grind helped me with my back issues, when climbing became less.
Definately a good workout.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Did you try it ton?

Im quite enjoying mine, i still have the niggle that to attept to go a long way id need gears. Probably just need to do a few long rides on it to put that to rest.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

FLV wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:03 pm i still have the niggle that to attept to go a long way id need gears.
I've done 550 miles on mine, or 240 in one go, how far do you want to go :wink:

You have to be able to accept that on the flat it will be slower than if you had gears and not look at the speed. It's only an issue if you're riding with someone with gears as on the flat you won't be able to keep up which can be frustrating.

The harder you make the route the less the lack of gears matters, if it's all up or down then gear it for the ups and coast the downs.
FLV

Post by FLV »

sean_iow wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:22 pm
FLV wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:03 pm i still have the niggle that to attept to go a long way id need gears.
I've done 550 miles on mine, or 240 in one go, how far do you want to go :wink:

You have to be able to accept that on the flat it will be slower than if you had gears and not look at the speed. It's only an issue if you're riding with someone with gears as on the flat you won't be able to keep up which can be frustrating.

The harder you make the route the less the lack of gears matters, if it's all up or down then gear it for the ups and coast the downs.
You are exactly right of course.
I'm thinking specifically of bike packing trips / events.
Ive geared it for where I live which is fairly hilly, so it should be ok for other places too.
I'll have a go local and see how that goes.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

In December I’ve ridden only my singlespeed, an hour a day, and it’s working wonders for my fitness - which had dropped a lot due to lockdown. My legs feel stronger, as does my chest. I seem to recover better, and can get through each session even if I don’t feel the love for the first part.

I have always had a singlespeed, but this time I’ve chosen the right bike (Jones) so it feels less like a compromise and more like a legitimate choice.

In the past I’ve found that extensive time spent on a singlespeed transfers nicely over to other riding - I used a similar regime in 2016 to train up for the 2017 HT550.
FLV

Post by FLV »

One day I'll have to have a go on a Jones. They get a whole lot of positivity.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

FLV wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:10 am One day I'll have to have a go on a Jones. They get a whole lot of positivity.
You’re welcome to a shot if you’re ever in the area.

If I’m honest, I thought it was the best bike for everything until I got a full bouncer (Orbea Occam TR) from here and realised other bikes can be better for other things. It’s still a great bike though.
FLV

Post by FLV »

How often do singlespeed riders swap ratios?

I rarely do when i have an ss bike set up and in use.

Ive seen a couple of bikes with 2 cogs on the back, technically not singlespeed i know but strikes me as a reasonable idea if you can drop 1 or 2 teeth if you pu find yourself with 15 or 20km of old rail track to spin along. (Some of my rides finish with a rattle along the longenden trail)

I guess it would need to be both enough of a gear change, and a simple enough tension system to make it non faffy.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I'm lucky that my geographical location means that I can leave the same ratio on all the time here (34/18) but if I've got a big loaded ride locally I will usually change to 32/18 but that's only a couple of times a year. I also use this as an opportunity to clean the chainring/chain/cog in the parts washer. I change all as a set for ratio changes.

If I'm going to the mainland I'll change it to suit

34/20 Very hilly - Wales, West Country
32/18 Hilly - Yorkshire Dales, South Downs, Scotland

For hilly it's the gradients that matter not the size.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Intersting ta.

My current ss (not riding as im selling it) is at 34:22
When my new frame arrives im probably 30:19 (or 20)
I live / ride in the peak so its fairly hilly, but i cant match your gearing there!
Hopefully ill strengthen up a bit and then spinning out along the flat can be mitigated.

I guess you would put something like the cairngorm loop at hilly. Due to infrequency of propper steepness?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

FLV wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:29 am I guess you would put something like the cairngorm loop at hilly. Due to infrequency of propper steepness?
The CL is mostly long drags rather than "hills" if you get what I mean. The biggest climb is over Bynack Mor and that's hard work geared or otherwise. There's a few other short and sharp climbs. On last year's September start Phil pulled away from me on the climb up from the A9 as he simply had to go at whatever pace whereas I dropped down a few gears and span away.

Edit: what ratio were you using Phil?
Last edited by whitestone on Sat May 08, 2021 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ton

Post by ton »

there were a couple of riders on ss on the dales divide last weekend.
young lad came past me going up cam road, just before the turn to horton. his back wheel spun out and he did a quality dismount........... :grin:
FLV

Post by FLV »

whitestone wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:47 am
FLV wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:29 am I guess you would put something like the cairngorm loop at hilly. Due to infrequency of propper steepness?
The CL is mostly long drags rather than "hills" if you get what I mean. The biggest climb is over Bynack Mor and that's hard work geared or otherwise. There's a few other short and sharp climbs. On last year's September start Phil pulled away from me on the climb up from the A9 as he simply had to go at whatever pace whereas I dropped down a few gears and span away.

Edit: what ratio were you using Phil?
I was there for that ride, though i didnt finish. Ive ridden all of it at some point bar the felar lodge.
Its one of the longer rides that strikes me a feasible on a singlespeed, though likely more tiring than gears id think.

I know im over thinking the whole idea of singlespeeding but its grim outside today so its something to ponder whilst pottering about :-bd
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

I’m now up at two singlespeeds, but have basically stopped riding my Jones. I built a Salsa El Mariachi up and it’s so much fun. 29+ up front, wide bar, short stem and 34:19 - it’s absolutely perfect for my local loop.

My Jones is now 30:19 and I’d consider the CL on that. My real reservations with that ratio are the first ten miles or so, and all the road sections. I’m well versed in walking anyway so that doesn’t bother me too much.
FLV

Post by FLV »

El mariachi was the longest I've ever kept a bike. Sold it to a nice chap on here, but should have kept it.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I think my El Mar is now 9 years old - never had gears since I bought it. No reason it ever will. By far my favourite, if not most often ridden, mountain bike.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I've changed my ratios about 10 times in the last 72 hours :???: . Back at normal - 32/21 with 29+. I had the 30T ring on for a bit but felt so spinny. would have been better for the LLTL though. Then went with the 22 rear and 32 front (which I use in the winter with mahossive duro cruxes); then back to 21. The CL suited 32/21 fine as Bob says only a small number of big climbs. That said I wish I'd had 32/32 for the last 50k.

Think I'm sticking with 32/21 for the HT, my theory being there is a lot of flat riding, not a huge number of draggy climbs (is there?) and on the super rough steep stuff it won't matter a f**k as I'll be pushing it whether I've got one or 30 gears. In fact it crossed my mind that it actually doesn't matter as whatever ratio you choose will have advantages and disadvantages on any given route, which is why they invented gears I suppose......

I did think about a dingle but the main thing with SS is having a straight chainline for max power transfer and I've bought enough sprockets to keep me going for ever.
jay91

Post by jay91 »

I did my first bikepacking trip (wrt) as ss 32x18 26r so quite spinny on the flat but don't remember having to much trouble riding in the LHC

I did end up changing to gears for bikepacking to keep up with paramart :lol:

Following Sean iow and Javier on Strava is making me want to try again :cool:
Trying to ride bikes.
jay91

Post by jay91 »

GregMay wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 3:37 pm I think my El Mar is now 9 years old - never had gears since I bought it. No reason it ever will. By far my favourite, if not most often ridden, mountain bike.
Always wanted a el mar they still sell for a lot on eBay :-W
Trying to ride bikes.