Issue 4 of GravelWanker magazine

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: Issue 4 of GravelWanker magazine

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Salsa Cutthroat
Uhm but now you're into needing to define 'gravel bike'. a Cutthroat generally has much larger tyres than your average GW - up to 2.4" I think?
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:07 pm
Salsa Cutthroat
Uhm but now you're into needing to define 'gravel bike'. a Cutthroat generally has much larger tyres than your average GW - up to 2.4" I think?
Aha... I'd call that monstercross/mtb. Thanks and makes sense why/how he made very light work of it all (6 minutes stopped time in 7 hours :o
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:19 pm Thanks and makes sense why/how he made very light work of it all (6 minutes stopped time in 7 hours
That was because he is Karl.
Chased by a cow?

Seriously, 6 min break in 7 hours has nothing to do with the bike. Just his experience mixed with his aim how to ride your route.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:19 pm
Salsa Cutthroat
Aha... I'd call that monstercross/mtb. Thanks and makes sense why/how he made very light work of it all (6 minutes stopped time in 7 hours :o
Like f@Ck am I having any bike of mine called a "MonsterCross". We'll settle on dropped bar mtb thank you
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Dave Barter wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:53 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:19 pm
Salsa Cutthroat
Like f@Ck am I having any bike of mine called a "MonsterCross". We'll settle on dropped bar mtb thank you
:lol: settled. Was actually thinking of you when Cutthroat came to mind. For some reason I always assume it's the only bike you own :smile:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I had to justify to someone why I was after another gravelwanker bike when I already had the Singular Gryphon. I *knew* why but I couldn't explain too well so retreated to the blurb that even though it might look similar the Gryphon is a drop barred MTB and not the same as a GW. I suspect I sounded like a bit of a bike-ponce :lol:

TBH I should have just said - look at the tyres (2.6 / 2.4), feel the weight (hefty, despite being rigid and 1x) and funk off :wink:

I toy with the idea of a Ti Gryphon occasionally but the £2k price-tag for F&F compared to, say, a Camino Ti always makes me pause. Only pause like, no doubt I'll do both at some point (poor impulse control) :oops: That and the experience of having been one of the Rooster-Kickstarter backers makes me a bit lairy :lol:
jameso

Post by jameso »

jobro wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:33 am Your comments are comical. This place is like Singletrack World for old men.
The same self-righteous condemnation for anything outside their niche. Just with slippers.

You could just ignore it if you find it that offensive.
I think you're reading the comments in the wrong way, though that's understandable / the tone of posts is hard to read plus I expect I'm a few pages past that being already pointed out. FWIW my 'aspirational' comment was about how mags portray things.

Edit to add, sometimes I read back what I've written and think I sound like a patronising t***. Not intended
:grin:
Last edited by jameso on Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:25 pm
Got any left Stu?
I'll pop you some int' post.
:-bd
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:00 pm Salsa Cutthroat: Gravel bike or serious off road machine, or 'just' a grvlBike? I only ask cos Karl did the NorthPeaks100 on his so its obviously doable but I wondered whether I made the route too easy (and thus, potentially boring/rubbish)...
Depends what you ride it like. I've ridden* mine down most descents in Hebden Bridge with a different front tyre.

*minced.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

So is a Gravel Bike a Monstercross lite then or is it a separate category entirely? Labels eh, gotta love 'em! :lol:
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Jurassic wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:45 pm So is a Gravel Bike a Monstercross lite then or is it a separate category entirely? Labels eh, gotta love 'em! :lol:
We too can differentiate between these categories of drop-barred bikes:

audax
randonneur
touring
all-road
gravel
adventure
cyclocross
monstercross
drop-barred mtb

Of course most of these categories have flat-barred versions too which lean perilously close to another category:
hybrid
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Crikey this thread has been wandering ...
I toy with the idea of a Ti Gryphon occasionally
A titanium Singular Gryphon .... I adore this bike and had a chance to buy one a few years back but really didn't appreciate the whole concept of riding drops on anything other than tarmac. Silly me.
I'm just going outside ...
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I have heard that the "original" Ti Gryphons were plagued with manufacturing issues that caused failures so I would be cautious about those. However, Sam is running limited production windows or something nowadays with a different manufacturer so possibly / probably / hopefully that is all sorted out :cool:

Just looked back at emails "Ti Gryphon is £1550 for the frame and £400 for the Ti fork"

Hhhmmmm

It'd be one way of getting past the supply issues of current gravelwankers.

Must.Stop.Now.

:lol:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Circa 2009

Mulleted Gravel.

Bound to be on trend in 2021
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

Would have been improved by a Conti Vert Pro tbh
substandard

Post by substandard »

Can you get the stickers in WH Smith too?

I would actually like some!!!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I believe they'll be included with issue 5.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:35 pm Circa 2009

Mulleted Gravel.

Bound to be on trend in 2021
:lol:
Love the idea. You could be on something there. Just give the industry enough time. Mullet works really well in quite a few trail biking instances and seeing how technologies drip down from mtb to gravel and even road, it's just a question of time until it becomes actively advertised for gravel bikes.
substandard

Post by substandard »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:16 pm
I believe they'll be included with issue 5.
Sign me up!!! So I get stickers and kindling for getting the bothy fire going? Winner!