Light Bicycle Wheel Co: Any Thoughts or exp?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Light Bicycle Wheel Co: Any Thoughts or exp?

Post by redefined_cycles »

Got myself a new (to me) slightly worn carbon frame. Planning yo build it to a superlight commuter. So looking at each part individually and trying to get the best I can.

Got a rear Edco hub donated from a friend and need a nuce light rim to go with it. Looking at these lot and wondered if it's a chance purchase... Or do people have good thoughts and experiences with em...

https://www.lightbicycle.com/Road-bicyc ... lable.html

Not neccessarily getting 56mm deep but thats just an example.

Thanks in advance
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Light Bicycle Wheel Co: Any Thoughts or exp?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

That's not actually that light is it Shaf. Something like a WTB KOM weighs less.
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:04 am That's not actually that light is it Shaf. Something like a WTB KOM weighs less.
Nope.. It is for 56mm deep Stu. Usually looking at about 600g at least. Other option would be Kinlin (lovely to build and didn't seem too far aprt in quality as the HED I built just before it)... :smile:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

We need to look at like for like then fella :wink: How much does the rim you're considering weigh?
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:10 am We need to look at like for like then fella :wink: How much does the rim you're considering weigh?
Dont think I'll be going shallower than this Stu if I did get from these lot. It's 46mm deep and about 440g (+/- 20g). Otherwise it'll be Kinlin at 31 deep and around 500g https://novemberbicycles.com/blogs/blog ... nlin-xr31t
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I asked about Light Bicycle rims a while back and got many positive responses.
Alpinium is a big fan as I remember.
I stuck with alu rims in the end for various reasons so can’t comment directly.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Be careful if you're planning to use rim brakes, carbon rims don't play well with pads designed for alu braking surfaces so you should use carbon specific pads which last about 5 minutes in the grit and grime of UK roads, also they don't stop when wet. For commuting I'd save your money and buy some tough alu rims, deep section if you must but the gains really are marginal in day to day life. Most carbon rim fans are using disc brakes or time triallers who don't ride on them day to day
redefined_cycles

pistonbroke wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:34 am Be careful if you're planning to use rim brakes, carbon rims don't play well with pads designed for alu braking surfaces so you should use carbon specific pads which last about 5 minutes in the grit and grime of UK roads, also they don't stop when wet. For commuting I'd save your money and buy some tough alu rims, deep section if you must but the gains really are marginal in day to day life. Most carbon rim fans are using disc brakes or time triallers who don't ride on them day to day
Fair point Duncan... But them reports of the pads and rim combo being rubbish. They really are item specific (IME). I had (really good might be an overstatement so) acceptable levels of braking with my Swisstop yellow pads on some deep FSA wheels that went through my hands one year. Then EDCO had some sort of surface that worked with standard pads and they were really really very good.

As for disc, I agree :smile:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

8 months on mine and no issues (including much battering in the Cairngorms). Ask me again in five years time :grin:
slarge

Post by slarge »

There’s another make called Carbonal who are pretty good also. Have a look at Spokesman wheels - he’s built a few for me and they’re good strong wheels
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

htrider wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:20 am 8 months on mine and no issues (including much battering in the Cairngorms). Ask me again in five years time :grin:
I've ordered these, in part based on your glowing reports:

https://www.lightbicycle.com/Carbon-bea ... tible.html

Expecting them this week.
redefined_cycles

Thanks all... Carbonal is probably similar but based on Alpinum using them to try and get to Everest (well I imagine he would if it was a thing), I think I shall get some and see how I get on.

Regards deep section wheels, I can definitely confirm that the speeds are not marginal*. The FSA 51mm deep I had for a brief while were so so fast. I was slower in them days - well, only slightly cos I'm still slow - and still can't match the times they gave me on some local sections. Literally, once up to speed they seem to ride themselves. A nice feeling which I would mind having when riding to work (the wind might be interesting I suppose)...

*Well, they obviously are according to the research but it feels alot more than marginal gains once riding at speeds
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

One thing I’ll say about deep section rims is they are a bit annoying in windy conditions.

You do get used to it but I never stopped noticing the wind catching them. That was on a road bike mind you.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Ive had some light bicycle 30mm internal rims for years. They have been faultless.
robbie

Post by robbie »

2 pairs of light bicycle rims here. 45mm ones and 38mm I think. Honestly I think carbon are much better than aluminium.
Also used carbon speed cycle ones with rim brake and thought they were great. Used them in all conditions for 5000kms and had no complaints. Thought there own pads that were supplied were great.
Carbon seem to not need trued as much as alloy.
redefined_cycles

robbie wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:43 pm Carbon seem to not need trued as much as alloy.
Yes.. I noticed this too. My 20H rear broke a spoke on its Dura Ace carbon rim with a slight alu layer. It hardly lost any lateral true. Was in the South West past Bristol with about 250 miles to go so had it replaced anyway. Another chap I know (Strava Frank) pringled his same DA rim in some sort of mishap. Is an engineer and managed to do some manipulation and get it straight again before rebuilding it! Bloomin engineers: I tried the same with a cheap alu rim and gave up :lol:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Not much new here Shaf, just a little ponder.

I use LightBicycle/KHS rims on 7 wheels (3 different trail bikes and one fat bike - all get a good beating) and they've been much more carefree than all the alloy rims I had before for the same use. And no, I'm not planning to take my bike up Everest, yet during the entire trip across the Atacama, heavily loaded, it was wonderful to be able to rely on the fat bike rims I got through a mate who imports KHS and which have the exact dimensions and weight of one of the LB rims.

Yet, I don't fancy the idea of carbon rims for my commuter. No go. Not worth the money.
The commuter... the bicycle which is most unbothered of all bicycles you may have.
Just holding the mirror up infront of myself and applying it to you, which of course is hubristic. But I really don't see it.

The only thing is... My commuter also is used for off road touring. Should I once believe to be in need of a sturdy set of true 29+ rims for a trip, I'd probably just leave them on the bike and thus end up using them to commute.

And then specifically going into aero rims and rim brakes... not quite what I'd want on a commuter. Any carbon rim with rim brakes is quite sketchy (bad instant brake power), especially in the wet. No own experience, but from a former road pro who I regularly meet.
Also you only get aero advantage if the tyre's width is close to that of the rim.
Then better acceleration/deceleration, more responsiveness (also mostly harsher ride), ease of changing directions and such other things that come with carbon rims will be of very little use in an everyday environment.

Talking about everyday environment;
My Easton Arc30 have been laced by the mentioned road pro with brass nipples, DT comp spokes (I think...) and linseed oil.
No corrosion in 3 years. Off course you can do the same with carbon rims.

Yet, a colleague at work rides high profile carbon rims on his Veloheld commuter and is very happy with them...

So... if you want carbon rims, get them. And yes, I can recommend LB.
redefined_cycles

Thanks very much Gian... thinner (25c) gp5000 tires already stored away and I'll try not to press the brakes too much (not too much DH on this commute) :-bd

I best get saving then as hubs just waiting for its rim to be :smile: